Turf Fields in SETX

jdawg03

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well dont get me wrong I love the turf fields, but its obvious to me when all these schools in east and northeast texas can spend millions of dollars on turf fields and there is not one here, that there is something big time wrong with the school finance system.....

Guest JoesBros

It would be nice to have those kind of fields, but I think the grass fields are too classic to mess with. In other words growing up going to PNG games there was nothing like going to a game and smell the grass and everything in the air that let you know you were at a high school game.

Oh it would be nice if at least one stadium would have field turf. No one seems to be willing to bite the financial bullet to do what needs to be done.

Oh yes you hear those complaining about taxes and the rest of the moaning, but the bottom line is that we're getting further behind the standard which teams, coaches, and fans expect.

Honestly the Golden Triangle is quickly slipping below silver to bronze.

Our stadiums in the GT are not that good. Just travel across the state and see for yourself.

your right...I live in Tyler while im at school, and there are 2a fields over there better than our fields here......

If it ever happens, I think Silsbee will be the first school to get turf...Westbrook is a program on the rise and I could possibly see them getting it down the road also if they continue to do well

well dont get me wrong I love the turf fields' date=' but its obvious to me when all these schools in east and northeast texas can spend millions of dollars on turf fields and there is not one here, that there is something big time wrong with the school finance system.....[/quote']

The average cost for one of these fields is $250-300K. That does not include the prep work and concrete needed to support the field. I could see an additional $350-400K needed for prep work and for concrete. Total you are looking at $500-600K for one of these fields.

If you could get concrete donated or buy it at cost that could save $150K easily.

Here is a link to the company that does Texas Stadium. http://www.sportfield.com/sportfield_content.html

I continue to say it but Jefferson county is one of three counties in the state with declining population from the last census. You ask why there is no investment, I say that first you need people to stay here and show that people want to live here and make a future.

I have the ability to travel weekly for my job and I see these areas like SLC and even ones in East Texas and Houston. We do not have the land nor do we have the $ in developement to create a need for growth like this. To much politics and tort to allow any real business growth in MC, PA, and BMT for that matter. How would you like to invest millions of $ here and the first year have to face any number of handouts and lawsuits from the law offices on every corner here? Not me brother. This goes back to a lot of the areas that are getting these types of facilities are heavier conservative areas that welcome these businesses in and do not put up barriers like we do.

I know this is not a very popular statement but the Unions, Politicians, and Lawyers here make it impossible to create the jobs and then create a need for new developement. We are dying as we speak about it. We just do not know it. Look at what PA and BMt was 30 years ago. Then remember what Orange was back 40 years ago. We are continuing to die and we wonder why no school district or community is willing to fork out the extra $ needed for football stadiums. Makes me sick. :oops:

OCBulldog,

You make some good points on the cost of the stadiums and the declining census of the GT. You know I've seen so many sports teams come and go in my 13 years of living here. The one sport which causes the blood to run and at times to boil is high school football. Remember, we have the fans that pack the stadiums on a Friday night. What better INVESTMENT than a top notch stadium in our area.

Imagine if such a stadium was built on I-10 instead of CAN'T-AFFORD-IT PARK? That would have been a sight to see by the passing traffic on a Friday night.

I think in alot of cases, it comes down to donars. Look at Tully Stadium. I haven't seen it in yrs., but the last time I did, it was gorgeous. And, if I remember correctly, it cost the school district $1, since it was a donation from Tully. what we need is some rich dude to will us a stadium. don't look at me though. I did some checkin' and there's no money in MY family...all the way back to Moses.

Silsbee is already the newest field in SE Texas. They did a nice job on the entire complex. The addition of field turf will just add to the pride and increased interest of people.

You know, the thing Silsbee has goin for it is the paper mill right beside it in Evadale...also have that big LP plant.....theres some money there

• 1 month later...

Silsbee is already the newest field in SE Texas. They did a nice job on the entire complex. The addition of field turf will just add to the pride and increased interest of people.

Silsebee is a VERY nice stadium, turf or no turf. I wished they would add more gates to the place so you did not have to hear the announcer say, don't standy by the fence, as it is against fire code. Man that gets old.

I anticipate BH might very well get a turf field soon (now we are 4-A). You know us doo-gooders will see that fine field at Galena Park and boy the politics will start flying. There has been continuous construction there for years now, with new athletic facilities in mot every sport and many new schools or school additions. I hear we are getting an indoor practice facility, but not sure what that includes.

If a turf field is coming to the Golden Triangle, it happens in Beaumont first. I could see the 3, possilbe 4 if you add Kelly, Beaumont schools having a "Beaumont Stadium" built. The teams could share the stadium. One team plays at home, one on the road, and one on saturday. This would make the funding a lot easier.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder