Nederland 54 Lumberton 49/FINAL

32 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well, I'm waiting.  As ive said before, can't wait to see.  I'll be satisfied...but what happened on the aau circuit and what's going on now is pretty contradictory.  You have to admit.

No because again Soulja it’s apples and oranges the talent level on the summer circuit isn’t even comparable to high school ,one is the projection of where you will play on the next level compared to what is being asked of you to help your team win which means playing out of position. Kid plays the 4 he’s not even close to that but he does it with no complaints he just plays the game the correct way. Ask any coach in this district would they love to have him the answer is yes. Unfair to compare him to kids of the past from Nederland those guys had very good players around them. 

4 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I have mixed thoughts on that comment.  A little torn, if you know what I mean...

What's the confusion? You really don't know how to read a schedule or calendar?

Grad goes to great lengths putting together weekly and yearly schedules for all to see on this site. Yet you can't seem to comprehend them.

10 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

What's the confusion? You really don't know how to read a schedule or calendar?

Grad goes to great lengths putting together weekly and yearly schedules for all to see on this site. Yet you can't seem to comprehend them.

I was actually getting at something else, burning forgot who I'm talking to.  Over your head.  

Everyone knows the next Silsbee game is against H-J, which is obviously what I was talking about even though I got the day wrong.  But whatever.  

Also, nothing is wrong with my comprehension.  Pot, meet kettle.

4 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I was actually getting at something else, burning forgot who I'm talking to.  Over your head.  

Everyone knows the next Silsbee game is against H-J, which is obviously what I was talking about even though I got the day wrong.  But whatever.  

Also, nothing is wrong with my comprehension.  Pot, meet kettle.

My comprehension is fine. I know exactly when and who Silsbee plays next. You on the other hand didn't. That's why I said you would be disappointed on FRIDAY.

and you have a son on the team.

10 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I have zero doubt you are out of your element in this argument, as virtually everyone has known other than you.  Indeed this has become a ridiculous, tired line that you’ve taken throughout this “crusade” of yours. 

Of course there are a variety of ways to earn scholarships.   But for basketball, certainly the best recipe is playing high profile summer ball.   But don’t take my word for it, ask the guys that have those schollies to give.   And I’ve been to multiple events in the past few years with scores of those guys.  One such event routinely has 300 plus D1 coaches under 1 roof.  Let me know the next time a “Big 3” game gets say 10 percent of that number, maybe even 1 percent of that number.  

But for someone who always seems focused on points alone, it is nice to see you mention being a teammate.  Because unselfishness and being a great teammate happens to be one of this kid’s biggest strengths.  

Permit me to suggest to you that the emboldened above, was very, very likely NOT learned in the AAU environment.

46 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Permit me to suggest to you that the emboldened above, was very, very likely NOT learned in the AAU environment.

Stereotyping is always dangerous.  Like most things, depends on which program.  MANY would obviously surprise you.  

I can say that I CAN’T say where he developed and learned those qualities because he certainly already had them when I first saw him about a year or so ago.  I’m sure it starts at home because his parents are incredible people.  I’m sure it was developed in the Nederland school system because that’s the way those kids are coached.  But I DO know who coached him in previous summers and those guys absolutely promote team basketball.  

In my opinion, there are 5 teams this year that are right in the mix for the 3rd and 4th playoff spots in this district. Nederland and Ozen aren’t as good this year as in the past and yes I understand ozen has injured players. PNG, Vidor, and L-town have the squads this year to beat them and it will probably happen a time or two this season. The difference is that Nederland and Ozen expect to win and execute in crunch time. It’s  a culture and a mentality. Lumberton was up last night going into the 4th quarter. They didn’t execute and when they got down by 6 with 4:15 seconds left in the game the body language looked like they expected to lose. But we shall see what happens. As far as Hefner goes, he has all the intangibles. Length, fundamentals, IQ, vision, and athleticism. He will be a force to be reckoned with but the one thing you can do to him right now is bang him around and be physical with him. When he gets that in his game where he can’t be pushed around, watch out. Just my opinion. And I’ve watched him play since he was very young. But this won’t be a cake walk for the bulldogs and panthers this season. Better bring their A game every game this year. 

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Stereotyping is always dangerous.  Like most things, depends on which program.  MANY would obviously surprise you.  

I can say that I CAN’T say where he developed and learned those qualities because he certainly already had them when I first saw him about a year or so ago.  I’m sure it starts at home because his parents are incredible people.  I’m sure it was developed in the Nederland school system because that’s the way those kids are coached.  But I DO know who coached him in previous summers and those guys absolutely promote team basketball.  

I am sure there are some that would surprise me.  I may have more conversance with AAU ball than you think I do.  But you are right about stereotyping.  Reminiscent of a "people of Alabama" comment that I recently read on the political board.

2 hours ago, Bdub3 said:

In my opinion, there are 5 teams this year that are right in the mix for the 3rd and 4th playoff spots in this district. Nederland and Ozen aren’t as good this year as in the past and yes I understand ozen has injured players. PNG, Vidor, and L-town have the squads this year to beat them and it will probably happen a time or two this season. The difference is that Nederland and Ozen expect to win and execute in crunch time. It’s  a culture and a mentality. Lumberton was up last night going into the 4th quarter. They didn’t execute and when they got down by 6 with 4:15 seconds left in the game the body language looked like they expected to lose. But we shall see what happens. As far as Hefner goes, he has all the intangibles. Length, fundamentals, IQ, vision, and athleticism. He will be a force to be reckoned with but the one thing you can do to him right now is bang him around and be physical with him. When he gets that in his game where he can’t be pushed around, watch out. Just my opinion. And I’ve watched him play since he was very young. But this won’t be a cake walk for the bulldogs and panthers this season. Better bring their A game every game this year. 

Excellent post (out of likes)!

And to be clear, I agree that there is nothing like playing for your school and hometown.  I’ve heard AAW speak many times about playing for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back and I completely agree.  I don’t know what it’s like to win a HS state championship as most of us don’t.  But I’m sure there’s nothing the summers can offer than can compare with what Silsbee and WOS experienced last year and Newton this year.   But I think too often we do brush aside what we think we know but really don’t.   I can offer examples of BlkMamba, bradyb (who I know worked with Hefner in summer’s past), and winwin as 3 guys in this area (and on this board) who donate their time each summer to work with kids and most certainly are teaching them how to play as a team (in addition to fundamentals, etc.).  And I can name a few schools in this area who have definitely benefited in the fall/winter from their efforts. 

Mamba and I had this convo at the Gamble a few days ago. We both agreed that the biggest difference in summer ball and high school ball is that in summer ball, the player does all it can to prepare himself for the next level. High school ball is all about helping your team be successful. Which means you play whatever position or role that helps the team win. In summer ball, the player will play the position or role that fits him best to prepare for the next level.

I agree, there is nothing like playing for your school and community. Like Mamba stated, it's apples and oranges.

Oh, and aau is the devil. :)

On 1/3/2018 at 8:30 PM, TxHoops said:

Most of that district is going to find that Lumberton and Vidor are much improved. 

Yes. I saw Lumberton a few times in tournament play and they are a solid team. Vidor is as well. Nederland hold on the final playoff spot will be precarious all season. Tonight's score is a solid win.