#3 Woodville (7-1)(5-0) vs. #8 Coldspring-Oakhurst (6-2)(5-0)

16 minutes ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

Katy runs practically a pro-style offense at the high school level lol they can throw the ball. Trust me.

I have watched a ton of Katy games. They will throw if they have to but if you can't stop their run they will pound you in the ground. I would be shocked if they average throwing the ball much more than 10 times a game.

11 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

I have watched a ton of Katy games. They will throw if they have to but if you can't stop their run they will pound you in the ground. I would be shocked if they average throwing the ball much more than 15 times a game.

Exactly. Think of a traditional pro-style offense, just Patriots/Browns about the middle of the 4th quarter lol

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I said most bigger schools.  But I also said that the smaller schools able to do it can keep people from scoring.  That applies to all teams that are run oriented.  Katy's pretty decent on defense too...

is not brock a very run heavy offense? what about gunter ? 

5 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

Yes.  yes, they are...you could find several examples.  And just like I said... run heavy teams that make deep runs play. good. enough. defense. to. keep. teams. from. scoring... Both Brock and Gunter are small schools that are state championship quality.  I'm starting to think you maybe didn't read or understand my original post.  Please reread and get back to me.

Bringing Katy and Carthage into the conversation is kinda irrelevant. Yeah they wanna run but they can pass when they have to. My argument isn’t that Woodville won’t make a deep run due to them wanting to run the ball over passing. It’s the fact that they struggle in passing when they have to. 

10 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

"A couple rules of thought on this one.  If you're talking smaller schools (3A and down) then a solid running attack may be enough to get the job done if you have a defense that doesn't give up points.  I personally think that a pound and ground attack is better if you're a smaller school.  Most bigger schools simply have too much speed on offense and you won't be able to keep up in an "outscore" situation. There are still teams in the smaller school ranks that win titles with slot-t type offenses.  There aren't many teams able to do it but the good ones still get championships even if they mostly run.  But here's the problem...if you have a run-heavy offense and fall a couple scores behind then you'll have pretty much no chance of catching up.  That's why most run teams don't make it deep.  When you see a team that is talented enough to score quick and often then your only option is to play completely mistake free and score every possession.  Just too tough to do that.

If we're talking about Woodville right now then I don't think they make it past round 3 because of this exact conversation.  They'll see someone with enough up front defensively to offset that running attack and enough on offense to get to far ahead for them to catch up."

calm down oldschool, i was just asking a question on both of those programs. i never seen them in person so it was more a question in defense of your points. i tend to agree with the balance equation of storied programs who play good enough in all three phases to get the job done. i dont however believe in one particular dimension offensively (run or pass) translates to longevity in the playoffs with these same programs moreso than it is just the system being driven home in boys age 13, to ensure its a fine tuned & oiled machine by the time they are 16-18. i wonder if we all went around and looked at these "same" programs over the years and polled these coaches, how many of them would admit to changing their offense or at minimum what they want to accomplish any given night lets say over the past 10-20 years. i'd be willing to bet, they havent swayed afar from the original philosophy they brought to the school when they arrived. i moved to evadale from tyler back in the 80's. for a small school, i believe this program is doing it right and is getting better and better at it. we just lack the next level ath. that alot of schools have at the lower ranks to make the deep run. but yes, i agree with most all your points are spot on.

9 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

calm down oldschool, i was just asking a question on both of those programs. i never seen them in person so it was more a question in defense of your points. i tend to agree with the balance equation of storied programs who play good enough in all three phases to get the job done. i dont however believe in one particular dimension offensively (run or pass) translates to longevity in the playoffs with these same programs moreso than it is just the system being driven home in boys age 13, to ensure its a fine tuned & oiled machine by the time they are 16-18. i wonder if we all went around and looked at these "same" programs over the years and polled these coaches, how many of them would admit to changing their offense or at minimum what they want to accomplish any given night lets say over the past 10-20 years. i'd be willing to bet, they havent swayed afar from the original philosophy they brought to the school when they arrived. i moved to evadale from tyler back in the 80's. for a small school, i believe this program is doing it right and is getting better and better at it. we just lack the next level ath. that alot of schools have at the lower ranks to make the deep run. but yes, i agree with most all your points are spot on.

I wasn't intending on seeming irritated.  I wasn't.  My tone is often taken out of context but I'm just "talking".  

I've never seen them either but I have a good friend who was on the coaching staff.  Believe it or not, I think that most coaches would love to be able to do both (run/pass).  Unfortunately, it takes a certain type of clientele to do that.  Well...to do either effectively.  And it's very hard to be really good at running or at throwing it around.  Not enough time usually to get good at both.  But I believe that coaches truly do whatever style fits the kids they have.  And that probably changes year to year.  A vast majority are run-heavy teams in the sport of football probably not be by choice.  Some teams are just so bad that lining up, running between the tackles, and burning clock is the only option for keeping it respectable. 

The fact is that developing and maintaining an effective passing offense is exponentially more difficult than implementing a run-heavy offense. There are so many more variables and much more specific talents are needed. In an effective passing offense, the football IQ of the entire team must be higher than your average player at the high school level. A quality rushing offense is exciting and alot of fun to watch for any football fan. I appreciate what Coach Robinson has done so much because he simplified the game for our kids and wants to teach and expand in order to develop a program. We all can agree that watching a well-executed, effective passing attack is a thing of beauty to a true football fan. At that level of the game, the room for error is much smaller. That's why it's so difficult. I'm not saying Woodville will go to 4+ rounds deep. That's not likely at all. But I just want somebody to admit two things to me: 1. That there are not 10 teams in 3AD1 that you can say for sure would beat us. And 2. That, even though it's highly unlikely and the chances are slim-to-none, Woodville COULD make a deep run with luck on their side. 

For so many years, including my high school tenure, nobody ever even considered or even included us in the Tier 1/Tier 2 conversation. I coached these Juniors from flag football up until they started Middle School football. My brother played with them for years. So this is bittersweet to me lol we've lost (knock on wood) two regular season games in the last two years. That's how many games we WON in the 2013 regular season lol if we get past the first round again, we will have won as many playoff games in two years as we did in 50+ years prior. Lol I know we're nowhere near the WOS, Newton, Katy, and Carthage level of success. But look back and see where those programs came from. With the exception of Brock and Allen, there aren't many programs who just jump into success. Lol but I'll get off my soapbox now. Not that any of you probably read this entire post. Lol

Go Eagles!! 

#backtoback

#Jordan'96/'97

#likeimonthecoveroflethalweapon

10 hours ago, longball24 said:

If I understood right wdv 7th grade, 8th grade, and Jv all went undefeated in district.  Is there any more proof needed. Wdv is a school like Newton WOS and Carthage. There is no down year only reloading.

Middle school victories at smalls schools mean absolutely nothing. JV you can put a little more stock into. 

Fact of the matter is that at 2,3,and even Some 4A schools if you are ready for Friday nights you will be playing on Friday night. You maybe be a really good 13 year old coming out of 8th grade but Friday night is a different world. I was 17 my senior season, and i could have never imaged 13 year old me strapping up against Steve Edmond from Dangerfield my freshman year of high school. A large thing that we as parents/fans need to understand is that success is somewhat relative to hings like schedule and district etc. Just because our kids are ballers before they have peach fuzz on their lip (or because they have peach fuzz before everyone else does) doesn't mean in two years your 7th grader is going to be  future state champ because they outscored all the other middle school teams by 20.

Also there I would even limit that list to about 5 Schools in 3A D1. Food for thought, Yoe is down, Teague is down, but Teague upset Malakoff pretty convincingly. The region is in an odd state of things i wouldn't be surprised to see Woodville shock some people.  

10 hours ago, longball24 said:

If I understood right wdv 7th grade, 8th grade, and Jv all went undefeated in district.  Is there any more proof needed. Wdv is a school like Newton WOS and Carthage. There is no down year only reloading.

Without the State Championships. It is a stretch to put Woodville into the same class as those 3 schools.

Two  small Schools come to mind that have had predominant running offense's, that have won big without throwing the ball .Newton, Corrigan, Newton may throw it now but Coach Barbay only did it sparingly to hit a home run. Anybody and everybody know when he needed a play , no matter the down or distance he ran SCAT. Corrigan the same way they will run their inside power play and then run their sweep to the sideline. By the way WOS wins with DEFENSE !!! Ask Coach T ! 

26 minutes ago, Rowebot said:

Middle school victories at smalls schools mean absolutely nothing. JV you can put a little more stock into. 

Fact of the matter is that at 2,3,and even Some 4A schools if you are ready for Friday nights you will be playing on Friday night. You maybe be a really good 13 year old coming out of 8th grade but Friday night is a different world. I was 17 my senior season, and i could have never imaged 13 year old me strapping up against Steve Edmond from Dangerfield my freshman year of high school. A large thing that we as parents/fans need to understand is that success is somewhat relative to hings like schedule and district etc. Just because our kids are ballers before they have peach fuzz on their lip (or because they have peach fuzz before everyone else does) doesn't mean in two years your 7th grader is going to be  future state champ because they outscored all the other middle school teams by 20.

Also there I would even limit that list to about 5 Schools in 3A D1. If Woodville 

Lol 5 schools? They will probably get knocked out of the playoffs by a not top 10 team

35 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Lol 5 schools? They will probably get knocked out of the playoffs by a not top 10 team

Who, not in the top 10 has the defensive fire power to do that? La Marque/Anahuac  in the first Round? Because the rest of the region after that is pretty salty. But like i said the usual powerhouses aren't AS impressive as usual. I am in no way associated with Woodville, but they've got some good stuff going, and i think the culture they have been building just might be ready. The next dst. goes Franklin, Rockdale, Mcregor, Cameron, if they get knocked out before semis it'll be there. I've watched Teague play not impressed as I usually am, and they beat Malakoff. Woodville is poised for a run. They just have to get passed Franklin/Rockdale. They can handle everyone else.