Best Tennis Coaches in the Area?????

haha you have no idea who this girl is... and its a tie break.. sarah pfister will kill next year.. she could more than likely beat a lot of the guys that are playing varsity tennis

i second that. sarah is a super 14 who knock the snot out of the ball. If she would get a serve and a net game she would compete with the top players in the area. A tie break is 7 points (or 10). Anyone can beat anyone in such a small amount of playing. Man you all dont know about Wehner. He works hard. He wakes up early morning and runs miles. Hes gonna be a hell of a player this year. So people that are watchin tv and playin video games this summer. He is gonna pass you up. Get out and practice and we will see this season.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i second that. sarah is a super 14 who knock the snot out of the ball. If she would get a serve and a net game she would compete with the top players in the area. A tie break is 7 points (or 10). Anyone can beat anyone in such a small amount of playing. Man you all dont know about Wehner. He works hard. He wakes up early morning and runs miles. Hes gonna be a heck of a player this year. So people that are watchin tv and playin video games this summer. He is gonna pass you up. Get out and practice and we will see this season.

so if i wake up early in the morning & run "miles" i will be this so called god, alla, muhammad, budha, or whatever yall all call weiner? :o uhhhh, nope...sorry :(

• 2 weeks later...

There are several good coaches in the area.  Jerry C, Zach C, Jeff H, Ron W, Tony and Russell G.  High school coaching would be Jorge L, Aranda, and a few others. The key is finding someone who is able to communicate with you and help you find what works for you as a player. I know several coaches in the area( I used to coach at H-J several years ago, but have since moved to Corpus Christi).

As a former player and state qualifier(singles 1994, Nederland), my vote goes to Jorge Lopez hands down as best H.S. tennis coach in the area.  If you are looking for lessons for young kids, I would say Ron Wesbrooks is an excellent place to start. As your kids mature, get them to Lopez or David Wong. A very underrated coach in my opinion is Tony Buagas out at the city courts in Beaumont.

I would assume we are talking about coaching juniors here. So by that criteria, I would also assume that the coaches who produce the most champ and superchamps would be considered the top junior coach. I've been around the Beaumont tennis scene for 20 years or so, and for most of that time junior tennis has been terrible compare to the rest of the state. I know all the coaches in the area and all of them have produced a good player or 2 in that time, so they all are good coaches. If you want to look at sheer numbers of junior players, the only one who has a junior program is Tony. Ron, David, Russell, Jerry, etc. all are good coaches, but how many champs or supers do they currently coach. I know that some these guys don't teach many juniors, but that just proves my point.

Let's do a list of all the champs and supes in the area. Help me if I missed anybody.

Boys

Matt Deaver- S18

Sagar Desai- S18

Lain Herr - S14

Matt Minick- C18

Brad Legato- C18

Kenton Boone- C18

Clement Wehner- C18

Scott Carnley- C18

Cody Luttrell- C16

Grant Lopez- C16

Patrick Lemasters- C12

Girls

Salina Aranda- S18

Sarah Pfister- S14

Jessica Phelps- C18

Regan Hollier-C16

Emily Pfister- C12

I don't know who coaches several of these, but here are the ones I know

Tony- Bug, Kenton, Clement, Patrick, Sarah, Regan, Emily are full-time

Lain, Grant, Brad, Scott and Jessica are all part-timers at the groups.

Russell- Sagar??? and Brad

Jorge- Grant and Jessica

Jerry- Matt Minick

Jeff- Lain

David- ???

Ron- ???

I would assume Salina's dad coaches her, and I have no idea who coaches Matt Deaver.

Well, I can't completely agree with your assessment. Of course Tony has the most champs and supers because he runs an academy and it is his full time job out at Brentwood. And, to his credit I have heard that he is doing a fine job out at Brentwood. I play often with Jorge and he has some good things to say about Tony and lets Grant go out there sometimes. The other coaches mentioned-- David is head women's coach at LU which consumes most of his time. Jorge is head tennis coach at Nederland and that consumes much of his time. This is the reason that many juniors do not take from them. Jorge is also the best player in this area. Ron is kinda in semi-retired mode when it comes to tennis. But, he has coached some excellent players including Tara Shelander and Andrew Danos. I know that is not where they started, but it is where they ended.

So, while Tony has the numbers of players, let's look at this.. Jorge and David have both been quite instrumental in the success of both Deaver bros. even though they may not coach them now. I know that David still has some sort of connection with Matthew because he called me the other day to see if I could start hitting with him.  Danos started early on with Tony and was a good player and was with Ron in his dominant high school days. Buagas does not get much publicity, but he is a very good teacher and a heckuva player himself.

I agree with you wholeheartedly though on your assessment about SETX tennis vs. the rest of the state. I hate to be blunt, but we are bottom of the barrel. A lot of that has to do with facilities and country clubs. We have a few places to play, other cities have TONS.  We have not been able to and cannot compete with the facilities that other cities have. It has been that way for the last 15 years. It was that way when I was in school and it is still that way in adult levels.

Well me and Brad both took from Ron Wesbrooks. We took there for a whole year, but only once a week. And Ron was great! Brad went off and took from Russel too, and i took from Jerry Creamer. I really do believe people look over Jerry. Noone knows about him beacause he is out of Beaumont. He coaches at Idylwild Country Club in Pinewood. And has at one time coached Tony and David. They may not say it, but trust me they have. Most coaches in Beaumont dislike Jerry, and they tell there students that. He is never invited to the SETX meetings, and is barely recognized in ANYTHING. I have taken from almost all the pros, and if i haven't taken from them, then i have seen them coach. And there are NO bad coaches, but Jerry is someone that you need to try. He is a great coach and i think he is one of the best in the area. Sorry if you don't agree, but why dont you come take from him and see what you think for yourself.

Good post, Matt. I think Jerry does a fine job out at Idylwild and he is a friend of mine as well. I think you bring up a good point about him not being talked about all that much because of the location of the club where he is at. Being from Mid County, Idylwild is quite a drive. But, Beaumont is probably only about 20 mins from there and Jerry does do a good job. I have noticed a lot of the other coaches do not like him as well. I do not know why that is the case. He has always been very friendly to me.

I'm not talking bad about any coaches. I am a teaching pro myself. The numbers don't lie though. 2 years ago, I had more champs and supers that took lessons from me than the entire Golden Triangle had, and all my kids went to the same 4A school (Foster). At least now, the Beaumont area is catching up. I'm sure any of the coaches on the list above could produce some good junior players, but 1 every 5 years is not exactly my definition of a top notch junior coach. I've never even watched any of the area coaches give a lesson, so I don't know who really knows their stuff, but until they start producing multiple good junior players they can't be considered the best junior coach.

I agree that Jerry is a very good coach.  Believe me, I have spent alot of time with Jerry on the court.  He knows his stuff.  Jerry has produced several good players through the years.. Turow (state champ), Brady, Chris and Julie paciotti,

Will (Lamar) and Matt (Navy-for a short time) Wiggins (Matt was also a state qualifier in 3A doubles with Wes Reed - also coached by Jerry),Jeff Archer, Minick, the Kral bros, and numerous other state qualifiers for HJ.  Jerry is worth the drive to Pinewood.  Zach C is also a very good coach.  Anyone from Warren that has been pretty good in the last 8 years or so has been coached by him.  He has also coached numerous kids from East Chambers, Houston, and other parts of the area.  I also know Zach well, and he has produced at least 16 state qualifiers from 2A to 4A.  Both of these coaches would be an excellent choice for serious junior players.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder