Uniformed Marine barred from walking in high school graduation ceremony

LumRaiderFan

I don't have a problem with this decision, considering I don't know the motivation behind not letting the graduate don his uniform. If others are allowed to wear garments other than the graduation robes, then he should be allowed to wear his military uniform. But if all are required to wear the robes and only the robes, so should he. He is not representing the military when accepting his diploma. I look at it akin to other functions. If he was playing a high school baseball game, he would be required to wear his baseball uniform. If he was performing in the band, he should wear the band uniform. If he was a cheerleader, he should wear his cheerleading outfit. (Have to walk on egg shells and show I'm tolerant and inclusive.) When traditional rules call for the robes to be worn on graduation, he should wear the robes. 

7 minutes ago, Englebert said:

I don't have a problem with this decision, considering I don't know the motivation behind not letting the graduate don his uniform. If others are allowed to wear garments other than the graduation robes, then he should be allowed to wear his military uniform. But if all are required to wear the robes and only the robes, so should he. He is not representing the military when accepting his diploma. I look at it akin to other functions. If he was playing a high school baseball game, he would be required to wear his baseball uniform. If he was performing in the band, he should wear the band uniform. If he was a cheerleader, he should wear his cheerleading outfit. (Have to walk on egg shells and show I'm tolerant and inclusive.) When traditional rules call for the robes to be worn on graduation, he should wear the robes. 

We'll have to agree to disagree with this one, I guess.  I think it's a shame that an exception can't be made here.

According to the article, other schools embrace our finest walking in uniform...kudos to them.

53 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

We'll have to agree to disagree with this one, I guess.  I think it's a shame that an exception can't be made here.

According to the article, other schools embrace our finest walking in uniform...kudos to them.

I wouldn't necessarily have too much of a problem making an exception in this case, except I think it could possibly lead to trouble later on. Someone might want to wear the College T-Shirt of the college they will be attending after graduation. It would be hard to say no when that person can use the "Well you made an exception for so and so" argument. Then you would possibly get all kinds of exception requests, which again will be hard to defend once you've already made previous exception(s).

If the decision was made because of upholding traditional values of uniformity in dress, then I agree with the decision. If the decision was made because the decision makers don't want or like the military presence being displayed at the graduation ceremony, then I would have a real problem with that.

34 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I'm with you on this one LRF.  It's just an indication of the demise of patriotism.  I may be wrong, but imo, without patriots, this country will not last.  

If Trump wants to make America great again, we need to resurrect the draft, with no exemptions except physical.  If only for 1 year or even 6 months.  Again, jmo, but if you have a "chip" in the game, the game is more important to you.

7 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I'm with you on this one LRF.  It's just an indication of the demise of patriotism.  I may be wrong, but imo, without patriots, this country will not last.  

If Trump wants to make America great again, we need to resurrect the draft, with no exemptions except physical.  If only for 1 year or even 6 months.  Again, jmo, but if you have a "chip" in the game, the game is more important to you.

So what happens when the next exception request is to wear a T-Shirt of the enrolled college colors? How do you defend your stance of no when you've already made exceptions? I will agree with y'all if I can get an acceptable answer to that question. :)

And I like the idea of a military requirement after graduation or of a certain age. For the longest I was against the idea, but I've changed my stance over the last ten years or so.

38 minutes ago, Englebert said:

So what happens when the next exception request is to wear a T-Shirt of the enrolled college colors? How do you defend your stance of no when you've already made exceptions? I will agree with y'all if I can get an acceptable answer to that question. :)

And I like the idea of a military requirement after graduation or of a certain age. For the longest I was against the idea, but I've changed my stance over the last ten years or so.

Here's my thoughts, based on my limited knowledge.  The Superintendent of the school is (should be) in charge of what goes on at graduation.  I would think an exception for the young Marine should be at his prerogative.  As any exception request would be.  For the student who wants to wear a T-shirt, or their college colors, it would still be up to the Supt.  Personally, it would be easy for me to tell the last two no.  The uniform of a person in the service is earned, much like the trim on the graduation attire of the valedictorian, or Nat Honor Society, not just a whim.  Jmo.

6 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Here's my thoughts, based on my limited knowledge.  The Superintendent of the school is (should be) in charge of what goes on at graduation.  I would think an exception for the young Marine should be at his prerogative.  As any exception request would be.  For the student who wants to wear a T-shirt, or their college colors, it would still be up to the Supt.  Personally, it would be easy for me to tell the last two no.  The uniform of a person in the service is earned, much like the trim on the graduation attire of the valedictorian, or Nat Honor Society, not just a whim.  Jmo.

I agree with that's the way it should be. But in today's world, if you give one person an exception, the one you deny will file a lawsuit.

6 minutes ago, Englebert said:

I agree with that's the way it should be. But in today's world, if you give one person an exception, the one you deny will file a lawsuit.

Lol, makes you wonder who's minding the store (school), the Superintendent or the Lawyers.

I can't side with the principal on this one. The young man will potentially risk his life to defend our freedoms. This is one exception that should not be controversial. I agree with what someone said above about the death of patriotism in our country. I don't even think schools do the pledge of allegiance anymore. It's a shame. 

17 minutes ago, texanabroad said:

I can't side with the principal on this one. The young man will potentially risk his life to defend our freedoms. This is one exception that should not be controversial. I agree with what someone said above about the death of patriotism in our country. I don't even think schools do the pledge of allegiance anymore. It's a shame. 

I am torn on this one. 

It would not bother me if they allowed him to walk but it also seems kind of elitist to almost demand it with an "I don't walk if I am not in uniform". The article says that the Marines don't have any rules on it so it is not like he is violating some military code. 

I have seen debates on other websites where some military members were really miffed that Lowe's or some other establishment did not give them a 10% discount. They actually said so in as many words like, "They don't be getting my business any more if I don't get my discount". "My discount"? Really?

That is utter nonsense. If a private business wants to give it, awesome. To demand it seems childish for a person who is supposed to be a representative of what is good and right. Let's face it, many members (likely a vast majority) of our military have never heard a shot fired in anger. Many have never left the good ol' USA in a 2 or 3 years hitch and might have been cooks. Great, you cooked 300 dozen eggs every morning for 20 months and never got deployed. I respect because someone has to cook to feed an army and he/she might have ended up in a field kitchen in a combat zone. I think they all deserve respect no matter what the service or assignment. I start to lose that respect when they start to put themselves on a pedestal. Again, if someone else puts them on a pedestal, great. 

I have the same feelings toward my fellow police officers that demand some kind of payment or acknowledgment of their service. If someone wants to honor us, great. To demand it is a disgrace to the badge. 

The article said that a nearby school district allowed a Marine to wear his uniform. He got the ovation he sought.............. 

Are you serving to sacrifice or are you serving to take a bow? I attribute it to his youth but it is what it is. I would respect him if they allowed him to wear his uniform. If not, I would respect him more if he followed the rules that everyone else has to follow. 

In my opinion. 

TVC, a couple of thoughts for you. One, I never got to serve due to health issues, so I am not a veteran. WIth that being said, I feel we should all hold our soldiers and public servants in higher regards than the general population. Yes, most haven't had a bullet fired at them,  but they all sign up knowing that they might. In my mind, that demands tremendous respect. Now, whether his soldier had ill intentions or not, it is irrelevant in my opinion. He is serving and represents those who serve. To that, I owe him respect and gratitude. It just hurts me that in today's time, this isn't a given. And to your and your fellow officers, I feel the same way even if some have ill intentions. Your service to our community is something to be forever honored and revered. 

6 hours ago, texanabroad said:

TVC, a couple of thoughts for you. One, I never got to serve due to health issues, so I am not a veteran. WIth that being said, I feel we should all hold our soldiers and public servants in higher regards than the general population. Yes, most haven't had a bullet fired at them,  but they all sign up knowing that they might. In my mind, that demands tremendous respect. Now, whether his soldier had ill intentions or not, it is irrelevant in my opinion. He is serving and represents those who serve. To that, I owe him respect and gratitude. It just hurts me that in today's time, this isn't a given. And to your and your fellow officers, I feel the same way even if some have ill intentions. Your service to our community is something to be forever honored and revered. 

Agree 100% with this...we can't be mind readers...if someone is heading out to serve, let them walk in their uniform.

I can also understand Englebert's post that someone will want to walk in their LSU shirt or a Burka and the school district may fear getting into a mess if they refuse.

I say allow military to walk in uniform (it's not going to be an epidemic)...they deserve it, and tell others they have to wear the "other" required dress code items.

Hopefully, we're not so far down the PC road that this is an impossibility...maybe we are since we even have to discuss it.

JMO

8 hours ago, texanabroad said:

I believe that is almost exactly what I said. 

Intentions are relevant from my perspective. Honor is one thing but we don't owe anyone anything.

As I said, I am all for the principal allowing him to do so. I am also all for him holding the line and not making an "exception" for him. I have had more bullets fired at me up close and personal than most members of the military and I don't think I am owed anything. 

In my opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs.

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I believe that is almost exactly what I said. 

Intentions are relevant from my perspective. Honor is one thing but we don't owe anyone anything.

As I said, I am all for the principal allowing him to do so. I am also all for him holding the line and not making an "exception" for him. I have had more bullets fired at me up close and personal than most members of the military and I don't think I am owed anything

In my opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs.

I appreciate the humble response and it's what I hear from all military, cops and first responders that I know and talk to.

I'm simply doing my job, no thanks required.

My feeling is that, even though appreciation isn't asked for, those of us that benefit from these folks putting their lives at risk, (example being your previous statement to not being owed anything) should at the very least acknowledge the service they provide to us at every opportunity.

That's what I feel should have happened with this young man at graduation.

If we allow ourselves to get to the point to not recognize, appreciate, single out and acknowledge folks like this young man, we're in trouble.

Think about it, I'm talking about folks that are willing to risk their lives for complete strangers...I sure don't think a little appreciation shown when given the opportunity is too much.

JMO

8 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Agree 100% with this...we can't be mind readers...if someone is heading out to serve, let them walk in their uniform.

I can also understand Englebert's post that someone will want to walk in their LSU shirt or a Burka and the school district may fear getting into a mess if they refuse.

I say allow military to walk in uniform (it's not going to be an epidemic)...they deserve it, and tell others they have to wear the "other" required dress code items.

Hopefully, we're not so far down the PC road that this is an impossibility...maybe we are since we even have to discuss it.

JMO

...maybe we are since we even had to discuss it.  

Isn't that the dying truth.  I think I more clearly understand the meaning when that little girl said, "We're not in Kansas anymore".