Buna vs La Marque

CoachH

I'm hoping for the best for Buna, but they are certainly the major underdog in this one. From what I have read in other threads, it sounds like La Marque is more like a legit 4A team rather than a good 3A team. Unbiased observers who have seen both Buna and La Marque say that La Marque is on another level.

Buna is kinda screwed either way because IF they get past La Marque, then they will most likely get # 3 Jarrel in the Regional Semis. Its probably safe to say that Buna has the toughest road to the Regional Finals out of any SETX team..... Two top 5 teams in their bracket. They should have just let Kountze have the 1 seed lol.

Nevertheless, this is the playoffs and Buna is a solid team, so I guess anything is possible. 

Does anybody know what La Marque's playing style is?? Are they a fast, athletic team that likes to apply a lot of pressure like Silsbee/Kountze? Or are they more of a slow paced, methodical, half-court team?

I didn't realize it until I went back and looked at the playoff brackets from last year, but La Marque was a state tourney team in 4A last year, and they lost to state champ Dallas Lincoln by 3 pts in the semi-final game. And they only had 3 seniors on that team.... Just more discouraging info for Buna folks. 

But as others have already stated, its the playoffs and anything is possible. And if anyone is capable of pulling off an upset it is Buna.

1 hour ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

Buna likes to run so that will help them against Lamarque. Just gotta limit turnovers and anything can happen if the trey ball is falling. 

I have to disagree. I don't think you want to run with them. Limit turnovers. Slow down the game. That's how East Bernard beat them 

3 hours ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

Buna likes to run so that will help them against Lamarque. Just gotta limit turnovers and anything can happen if the trey ball is falling. 

2 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

I have to disagree. I don't think you want to run with them. Limit turnovers. Slow down the game. That's how East Bernard beat them 

Buna is going to have to play very fundamental to beat LaMarque, just as East Bernard did. LaMarque is probably the most athletic team in the region,  and maybe have the most size. Playing fast will play into LaMarque'a hand.

26 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

Buna is going to have to play very fundamental to beat LaMarque, just as East Bernard did. LaMarque is probably the most athletic team in the region,  and maybe have the most size. Playing fast will play into LaMarque'a hand.

So are you suggesting Buna just forget what they've been doing all year? Play your game. Play as good as defense as you can. And hope the ball bounces your way a few times. 

1 hour ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

So are you suggesting Buna just forget what they've been doing all year? Play your game. Play as good as defense as you can. And hope the ball bounces your way a few times. 

Sometimes you have to, it's called adjusting. Try to play your game, but when the other team is playing your game better than you ADJUST! LaMarque is going to get up and down the court better than Buna will, I've seen both teams play multiple times this season. Buna is going to have to hit the 3 ball and push when they can, but if it turns into a track meet Buna doesn't have a chance.  Whitmire will have a game plan, and I'm sure they will give LaMarque all they can. 

People forget this team has been to state the last 2 years in 4A, and gave Lincoln all they could handle last season. 

27 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

Sometimes you have to, it's called adjusting. Try to play your game, but when the other team is playing your game better than you ADJUST! LaMarque is going to get up and down the court better than Buna will, I've seen both teams play multiple times this season. Buna is going to have to hit the 3 ball and push when they can, but if it turns into a track meet Buna doesn't have a chance.  Whitmire will have a game plan, and I'm sure they will give LaMarque all they can. 

People forget this team has been to state the last 2 years in 4A, and gave Lincoln all they could handle last season. 

Your last comment is exactly the point I made earlier. They were 3 pts away from playing silsbee in the 4A title game a year ago

16 hours ago, About a week ago said:

I don't think anyone has forgot that. Lamarque would probably be a 17 point favorite if not more if this were Vegas. I'm just saying when playing "slow" hasn't worked all year. I as a fan am not expecting it to work here. Buna is at their best in transition. It's not as if I'm saying every possession needs to be a fast break. Just don't slow down and not take the opportunitys avaliable just because the other team is faster.