Beaumont Central 52 Beaumont Ozen 40/FINAL

WOSgrad

Who's bright idea was it to have this game in Valentine's Day?  Why couldn't it have been in Monday?  As far as fan attendance and 'atmosphere', this was the 'deadest' Ozen/Central game that I've ever attended.  That coupled in with the assistant superintendent's decision to not allow school's dancers and band to never perform at basketball games (Band parents show up in huge numbers).  I'm sure that the money that was spent on the Ford Park venue wasn't worth it as I'm sure ticket sells, concession sells, hired refs, ect. Didn't cover the cost of the amount charged.  That transaction is probably DEEP in the red.  Anyway.... 

This game was interesting early, but as I've said in the previous matchup, Ozen as a team is just too small.  I counted at LEAST 10 blocked shots for Central just in the first half alone. Central blocked shots and grabbed boards and also made some key 3 pointers.  Arceneaux and Dill made some key shots.

Ozen struggled to score for most of the game, but I felt like they forced the action with Jones when I believe the missmatch was with Pender or Broussard.  They're small, but they consistently blow by their defender.  

Officiating was decent.  

To do list before playoffs start:

Central needs to work on more ball movement and decrease turnovers

Ozen needs to keep attacking with their best playmakers and find someone that can consistently hit 3 pointers to offset the lack of height.

38 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Who's bright idea was it to have this game in Valentine's Day?  Why couldn't it have been in Monday?  As far as fan attendance and 'atmosphere', this was the 'deadest' Ozen/Central game that I've ever attended.  That coupled in with the assistant superintendent's decision to not allow school's dancers and band to never perform at basketball games (Band parents show up in huge numbers).  I'm sure that the money that was spent on the Ford Park venue wasn't worth it as I'm sure ticket sells, concession sells, hired refs, ect. Didn't cover the cost of the amount charged.  That transaction is probably DEEP in the red.  Anyway.... 

This game was interesting early, but as I've said in the previous matchup, Ozen as a team is just too small.  I counted at LEAST 10 blocked shots for Central just in the first half alone. Central blocked shots and grabbed boards and also made some key 3 pointers.  Arceneaux and Dill made some key shots.

Ozen struggled to score for most of the game, but I felt like they forced the action with Jones when I believe the missmatch was with Pender or Broussard.  They're small, but they consistently blow by their defender.  

Officiating was decent.  

To do list before playoffs start:

Central needs to work on more ball movement and decrease turnovers

Ozen needs to keep attacking with their best playmakers and find someone that can consistently hit 3 pointers to offset the lack of height.

I don't think the lack of attendance had anything to do with Valentines Day. I think it's more toward the fact that either team isn't very good. I think everyone knew Central was going to win that game.  

26 minutes ago, BIG SHOW said:

I don't think the lack of attendance had anything to do with Valentines Day. I think it's more toward the fact that either team isn't very good. I think everyone knew Central was going to win that game.  

Not true...  The first meeting in district at Lamar had a pretty good crowd and Central has 2 D-1 players.  They're pretty good.  Remember, they are young and lost by 3 to a loaded Silsbee team.  So it had everything to do with Valentine's day, imo.  Or probably the lack of the bands....

32 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Hmm now will BISD choose to flip a coin with PA??

Well,different coaches from when this last scenario came up.  Before, it was Coach Lee from Central (older coach).  They went to the flip every time... This time, it's Central's Coach Paul (younger coach). With that being said, I think they'll agree to play the game.

12 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Remember, Ozen girls had a playoff game last night in Baytown

Central girls had their playoff game Monday night

Yes, you're right...  Ozen girls are good and has a decent sized fan support this year.But Ozen boys and girls have played in the same day before and it never affected the Boy's numbers....  

9 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Everyone played on Valentine's day last night, including girls playoff games.

That wasn't the reason for low turn out.

Sure everyone's attendance was down last night because most that got off from work or school yesterday night.  I know that's where I would've been had it not been for family obligations.

3 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

So you think teams should change their routine and practice schedules they have had all year to not play a game on Valentine's day? I laughed

Usually in district, the freshman, JV, and Varsity play at the same venue on the same day.  In Beaumont, when Central and Ozen plays, it's usually a VARSITY girls and boys doubleheader.  That's how it was played during their first meeting this year and every year.

So you can laugh with that one all the way back to 'Eagle' country.

2 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

So Central and Ozen should make their selves easier for the playoff opponents to scout by playing on a different night, so they can accommodate the crowd that cares more about Valentine's day than they do supporting their teams. Logical

I give up trying to discuss things to backwoods logic.  Anyway...

Myself and the few fans there enjoyed the game.

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I give up trying to discuss things to backwoods logic.  Anyway...

Myself and the few fans there enjoyed the game.

If you play the game on Monday or Wednesday every team Ozen and Central could possibly play in the first 3 rounds will come scout the game and see them play a game that they otherwise wouldn't get to see. Because teams most likely aren't trading district film. So now any team you play in the first couple of rounds has more current and updated information on you than you do them. 

Front wood, back wood, not that hard to follow.

...What would stop central or Ozen from being scouted for a Friday or Tuesday game? I suppose you think coaches that elect to play tiebreaker games or playoff preview games are 'laughable' or have no logic, right?  You know those games and ANY game are all scouted, right?  Like I said, keep those logical opinions in 'eagle country'.  *wink*

6 minutes ago, team first said:

Sounds like common sense 

Everyone gets scouted, even in regular game nights, contrary to what many believe...  

But if you can get more fans at a venue that you're already paying through the roof for by having a different date, why not instead of being in the red?  THAT seems logical to me.  But whatever...

Go Ozen and Central.

Yes all games can possibly be scouted, but the varsity staff can't come scout you on Tuesday or Friday when they also have games. Seeing a team in person yourself before a game is a way bigger advantage than having a middle school coach or some other scout go watch a team for you. If this game was played tonight you would have all 3 teams ( head and assistant) Ozen and Central are playing in the first and possible second round there to watch guaranteed. A head and assistant coach from all three schools who would not see that game at all first hand under any other possible scenario.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well,different coaches from when this last scenario came up.  Before, it was Coach Lee from Central (older coach).  They went to the flip every time... This time, it's Central's Coach Paul (younger coach). With that being said, I think they'll agree to play the game.

I was kind of making a snide remark based on how everyone wanted to see a game the last two years....but I thought it was anAD decision not to play those not the coaches.