NEDERLAND TOURNAMENT/POST UPDATES HERE!

WOSgrad

LCM wins silver bracket with a 62-51 win over Louisiana Christian followed by a 53-47 win over Vidor.  Ayson Simmons scored 26 against the Pirates.  Bears are now 6-2 on the year and go to Jasper on Tuesday.  Great tournament hosted by Nederland and congrats to the Kelly Bulldogs.

Edited by Bear Cave

7 minutes ago, Bear Cave said:

LCM wins silver bracket with a 62-51 win over Louisiana Christian followed by a 53-47 win over Vidor.  Ayson Simmons scored 26 against the Pirates.  Bears are now 6-2 on the year and go to Jasper on Tuesday.  Great tournament hosted by Nederland and congrats to the Kelly Bulldogs.

Thank you sir! You guys had a great tournament as well. I thought our local teams really competed in this tournament.

21 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Kelly beat V-Prep? 

Wearing long sleeve shooting shirts and only went to the bench for about a minute. VPreps coach refused to change into their red jerseys. Free throw shooting was affected a little or could have been by 15. Some coaches are in this for the kids.....some are on a power trip. I wont mention names

7 hours ago, Brubaker said:

What position does Flagg play?

He doesn't play all of them.  He's a combo guard for Alvin.  That is to say, like Vanderbilt for VPrep, they get him the ball wherever they can, whether it's in the backcourt or up top or on the wing.  They always start him on the perimeter.  At the next level, he will almost assuredly be a 3 (SF) based on size and skill set.  The only real hole in his game is consistency on the outside shot.  He gets to the rim with ease (more so at the HS level where the 6-10 pluses are few and far between) in no small part due to how strong he is with the ball and the exceptional use of his body.  He is also an effective passer. 

3 minutes ago, winwin said:

Wearing long sleeve shooting shirts and only went to the bench for about a minute. VPreps coach refused to change into their red jerseys. Free throw shooting was affected a little or could have been by 15. Some coaches are in this for the kids.....some are on a power trip. I wont mention names

I will.  Mr. Vanderbilt.  I wonder if that would have happened if Rodney had stayed to coach that game.  I guess Mr. V still ultimately calls the shots but I don't think that would have been McCray's inclination. 

5 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I will.  Mr. Vanderbilt.  I wonder if that would have happened if Rodney had stayed to coach that game.  I guess Mr. V still ultimately calls the shots but I don't think that would have been McCray's inclination. 

Our dark jerseys showed up at half-time and the boys refused to wear them because they wanted to beat them in the shooting shirts.  That's better than winning the trophy LOL

14 minutes ago, winwin said:

Our dark jerseys showed up at half-time and the boys refused to wear them because they wanted to beat them in the shooting shirts.  That's better than winning the trophy LOL

Did not know that!  That is awesome!  That may have actually been a blessing.  They certainly played 32 minutes with a chip on their shoulder!  That was a great, great win.  

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Did not know that!  That is awesome!  That may have actually been a blessing.  They certainly played 32 minutes with a chip on their shoulder!  That was a great, great win.  

Kelly - Baker 22, Kraemer 18, Pierre 14, Richard 10

VP - Vanderbilt 35

45 minutes ago, Coach85 said:

I was more impressed with the Flagg then Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt looked lazy at times.

Flagg is a better player. Vanderbilts "handlers" have done a better job in the hype game imo and thus the reason for the higher ranking nationally. Vanderbilt is still a beast though. 

2 hours ago, Coach85 said:

I was more impressed with the Flagg then Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt looked lazy at times.

Was arguing this yesterday.  I had to concede that JV is one of those kids that's almost a lock to play in the NBA and will likely be a one and done.  He can go to school anywhere he wants and is supremely gifted in size and skill.  So in that respect, I understand why he's the "higher prospect."  

But I've seen him play many, many times and the game against Alvin is probably the hardest I've ever seen him play.  He plays half-a&@ more often than not.  My point yesterday was although JV is taller and so talented, give me Flagg with his size, gifts, and talent.  Because he plays his tail off every time he takes the court.