NEDERLAND TOURNAMENT/POST UPDATES HERE!

WOSgrad

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Was arguing this yesterday.  I had to concede that JV is one of those kids that's almost a lock to play in the NBA and will likely be a one and done.  He can go to school anywhere he wants and is supremely gifted in size and skill.  So in that respect, I understand why he's the "higher prospect."  

But I've seen him play many, many times and the game against Alvin is probably the hardest I've ever seen him play.  He plays half-a&@ more often than not.  My point yesterday was although JV is taller and so talented, give me Flagg with his size, gifts, and talent.  Because he plays his tail off every time he takes the court.  

Vanderbilt traveled FOUR times in our game. He is impressive to watch when no one is playing defense on him. But he tried to take over the game last night in the 4th quarter and couldnt. I think Flagg could have. JV has a long way to go imo. If he is 1 and done, I will be shocked. He will struggle at the next level when he goes major D1. Proof of that....he couldn't beat little Beaumont Kelly and struggled with PNG. When you see him in the summer, those teams aren't game planning for him or playing much defense. It's run and gun. What's going to happen when he faces Coach K at Duke?  lol

44 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Was arguing this yesterday.  I had to concede that JV is one of those kids that's almost a lock to play in the NBA and will likely be a one and done.  He can go to school anywhere he wants and is supremely gifted in size and skill.  So in that respect, I understand why he's the "higher prospect."  

But I've seen him play many, many times and the game against Alvin is probably the hardest I've ever seen him play.  He plays half-a&@ more often than not.  My point yesterday was although JV is taller and so talented, give me Flagg with his size, gifts, and talent.  Because he plays his tail off every time he takes the court.  

Hopefully that somewhere is UNC. I do think Vanderbilt is the better player though. His playmaking ability is second to none at the high school level. It's pretty much take your choice of what you want between the two. 

24 minutes ago, winwin said:

Vanderbilt traveled FOUR times in our game. He is impressive to watch when no one is playing defense on him. But he tried to take over the game last night in the 4th quarter and couldnt. I think Flagg could have. JV has a long way to go imo. If he is 1 and done, I will be shocked. He will struggle at the next level when he goes major D1. Proof of that....he couldn't beat little Beaumont Kelly and struggled with PNG. When you see him in the summer, those teams aren't game planning for him or playing much defense. It's run and gun. What's going to happen when he faces Coach K at Duke?  lol

There would be 4 other high major D1 prospects around him. Vanderbilt will not be a major scorer at the next level. He is going to be someone who sets others up and hits open shots. 

9 minutes ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

There would be 4 other high major D1 prospects around him. Vanderbilt will not be a major scorer at the next level. He is going to be someone who sets others up and hits open shots. 

That would be the only thing that would save him. He's going to have to do some legwork to. Those calves are skinnier than mine LOL

24 minutes ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

Hopefully that somewhere is UNC. I do think Vanderbilt is the better player though. His playmaking ability is second to none at the high school level. It's pretty much take your choice of what you want between the two. 

Ageed on his playmaking.  His vision and passing are amazing for a kid his size.  If he wants to be one and done, he will be and he will be a first rounder.  You just don't see many 6-9s who can facilitate the way he can. 

14 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Ageed on his playmaking.  His vision and passing are amazing for a kid his size.  If he wants to be one and done, he will be and he will be a first rounder.  You just don't see many 6-9s who can facilitate the way he can. 

Willingly as well. I would say he is more geared towards setting up than being a dominant scorer. He will of course get his at whatever level he plays at but his ability to help others get there's is what sets him apart to me. 

Also WinWin I think one of the reason for Savion being so low, if being in the 60-70 range can be considered low. Is because he was "only" 6'3 as a freshman and didn't play for a circuit team to get his name out there as early as some of the top ranked kids did. If he continues to play this well he will be a top 35 recruit by the end of it. 

36 minutes ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

Also WinWin I think one of the reason for Savion being so low, if being in the 60-70 range can be considered low. Is because he was "only" 6'3 as a freshman and didn't play for a circuit team to get his name out there as early as some of the top ranked kids did. If he continues to play this well he will be a top 35 recruit by the end of it. 

Good point. I still think he is better overall.

1 hour ago, winwin said:

Good point. I still think he is better overall.

Winwin, I agree with you. I think Flagg is better right now.  Jared needs to get stronger and improve on his free throws. I saw him air ball several free throws. I think Jared has a higher upside but if I had to choose one player for a game right now. I go with Flagg all day long. 

4 minutes ago, dadofabulldog said:

Winwin, I agree with you. I think Flagg is better right now.  Jared needs to get stronger and improve on his free throws. I saw him air ball several free throws. I think Jared has a higher upside but if I had to choose one player for a game right now. I go with Flagg all day long. 

I was surprised to see him struggle that way at the free throw line. A guy with that much skill but shooting free throws like Shaq

19 minutes ago, dadofabulldog said:

I'm sure the lower back injury he is playing with affects his shooting to some extent. I was not there Saturday to see though. Not everyone can shoot like Miguez at the line though ;)

17 minutes ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

I'm sure the lower back injury he is playing with affects his shooting to some extent. I was not there Saturday to see though. Not everyone can shoot like Miguez at the line though ;)

Lol... I would expect a 5 star recruit to be able too.  He has a very strange stance at the line. He is a lefty but he has his right foot slightly in front of his left foot like a right handed shooter would stand. Im sure they will fix that wherever he ends up. 

7 minutes ago, Basketball2019 said:

he didn't handle the ball to well this past weekend when people were guarding him......no doubt he will be a good one but he wasn't the best player this past weekend in the tourney. 

I agree. Flagg is better. He just didn't have the support that Vanderbilt had with his team.

23 minutes ago, bradyb said:

He might not have been the best scorer but he was the best player. POTENTIAL 

He was not the best player this past weekend, the best player was Flagg, now does the other kid have more upside of being a better overall player yes he does, but from what I saw from this weekend Flagg is the better player as we speak. Now  2 years from now it could change. 

43 minutes ago, Basketball2019 said:

He was not the best player this past weekend, the best player was Flagg, now does the other kid have more upside of being a better overall player yes he does, but from what I saw from this weekend Flagg is the better player as we speak. Now  2 years from now it could change. 

It really does not matter. Kentucky & NC want him.