Texas 6A State playoffs

D3zii

So many good teams this season. Do y'all every remember the 6A playoff being so deep

Desoto

Allen

Cy Ranch 

Woodlands

Galena Park NS 

ect....

this is going to be a fun one Div 1 and Div 2

i have Desoto, their so talented and deep, but Allen should still be the favorite 

58 minutes ago, D3zii said:

So many good teams this season. Do y'all every remember the 6A playoff being so deep

Desoto

Allen

Cy Ranch 

Woodlands

Galena Park NS 

ect....

this is going to be a fun one Div 1 and Div 2

i have Desoto, their so talented and deep, but Allen should still be the favorite 

Desoto is going D2 and will most likely back stroke through the playoffs until they play Cibolo Steele for the state title. As far as 6A being deep, it's probably the deepest in Houston for a change. Klein Collins, Cy-Ranch, Katy, Ridge Point, Alief Taylor, The Woodlands and North Shore are all state championship quality.  Don't be surprised if San Angelo Central or Duncanville knock off Allen in region 1.

Ridge Point really hasn't played anyone yet.  There record is fantastic, but I'm not convinced they are on equal footing with the likes of KC, Katy, The Woodlands and NS.  To a lesser degree, the same can be said about Cy Ranch and Alief Taylor.  They've played better competition than Ridge Point, but not the level of competition of the top four in my opinion.  I agree Allen looks beatable.  I'm not sure about Duncanville, but San Angelo is really playing well and might be the team to do it.  If they get by the R1 competition they will likely face The Woodlands.  At this point, I think The Woodlands is playing better and would likely win that game.  Big shake up this year.  Lots of teams in the mix.

16 minutes ago, TXFBfan said:

Ridge Point really hasn't played anyone yet.  There record is fantastic, but I'm not convinced they are on equal footing with the likes of KC, Katy, The Woodlands and NS.  To a lesser degree, the same can be said about Cy Ranch and Alief Taylor.  They've played better competition than Ridge Point, but not the level of competition of the top four in my opinion.  I agree Allen looks beatable.  I'm not sure about Duncanville, but San Angelo is really playing well and might be the team to do it.  If they get by the R1 competition they will likely face The Woodlands.  At this point, I think The Woodlands is playing better and would likely win that game.  Big shake up this year.  Lots of teams in the mix.

I'll put it like this. Our season ended last year against Ridge Point and started this year against Manvel who I watched beat North Shore the week after they played us earlier this year. From 1-22 Ridge Point is probably even more athletic than Manvel even though Manvel has a couple higher rated recruits.

Not only have they recently played for a state title, Cy-Ranch plays in the Cy-Fair district which is from top to bottom the toughest district in Houston on average. If Taylor played North Shore right now they're probably a 7 point favorite at a neutral site. They're in a district with George Ranch, Pearland and Dawson and undefeated so far. Usually one of the most talented teams in Houston along with Westfield, NS and Lamar. 

Any of those teams can lose to Clear Springs, Dickinson, Lamar, Cy-Fair and about four other teams in the region though. I think Allen is out after the quarterfinals.

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I'll put it like this. Our season ended last year against Ridge Point and started this year against Manvel who I watched beat North Shore the week after they played us earlier this year. From 1-22 Ridge Point is probably even more athletic than Manvel even though Manvel has a couple higher rated recruits.

Not only have they recently played for a state title, Cy-Ranch plays in the Cy-Fair district which is from top to bottom the toughest district in Houston on average. If Taylor played North Shore right now they're probably a 7 point favorite at a neutral site. They're in a district with George Ranch, Pearland and Dawson and undefeated so far. Usually one of the most talented teams in Houston along with Westfield, NS and Lamar. 

Any of those teams can lose to Clear Springs, Dickinson, Lamar, Cy-Fair and about four other teams in the region though. I think Allen is out after the quarterfinals.

Couldn't disagree more on Ridge Point.  They will not go far, certainly not to the state title game.  We agree on Manvel, though discipline has been a problem for them against a team like Katy.  But, at their best Manvel can play with anyone 5A or 6A.  I wouldn't call the Cy Fair district the toughest, but I would call it the most balanced.  The top end of Cy Fair looks like they are playing at a level below the top teams in GHA in my opinion.  Cy Ranch does have one of the best coaches and they are a threat because of that.  The problem for them is Katy and NS.  Either one is better than Cy Ranch and unlike their run to state previously they did not face teams of that caliber to get there last time.

Alief Taylor does play in a tough district, but they would not be a seven point favorite over defending state champ NS, but a 10 point underdog, at least.  

I think R3 D1 is mostly a decided game.  It will be Katy or NS.  R3 D2 is a little more uncertain.  I don't see a clear favorite.  But, in the end that team will lose to a very good Steele team looming and licking their chops at not having to play Katy to go to state.  I just don't see anyone in  R3 D2 capable of beating Steele, who is a top 5-6 team in the state.  

Allen is still very formidable and better than 99% of the teams in the state, in fact they may still be the best.  It will take a team like Lake Travis or The Woodlands to beat them this year.  R1 D1 is usually stout, but I'm not sure I see anyone that would be a favorite in that region over Allen.

1 hour ago, TXFBfan said:

Couldn't disagree more on Ridge Point.  They will not go far, certainly not to the state title game.  We agree on Manvel, though discipline has been a problem for them against a team like Katy.  But, at their best Manvel can play with anyone 5A or 6A.  I wouldn't call the Cy Fair district the toughest, but I would call it the most balanced.  The top end of Cy Fair looks like they are playing at a level below the top teams in GHA in my opinion.  Cy Ranch does have one of the best coaches and they are a threat because of that.  The problem for them is Katy and NS.  Either one is better than Cy Ranch and unlike their run to state previously they did not face teams of that caliber to get there last time.

Alief Taylor does play in a tough district, but they would not be a seven point favorite over defending state champ NS, but a 10 point underdog, at least.  

I think R3 D1 is mostly a decided game.  It will be Katy or NS.  R3 D2 is a little more uncertain.  I don't see a clear favorite.  But, in the end that team will lose to a very good Steele team looming and licking their chops at not having to play Katy to go to state.  I just don't see anyone in  R3 D2 capable of beating Steele, who is a top 5-6 team in the state.  

Allen is still very formidable and better than 99% of the teams in the state, in fact they may still be the best.  It will take a team like Lake Travis or The Woodlands to beat them this year.  R1 D1 is usually stout, but I'm not sure I see anyone that would be a favorite in that region over Allen.

I really didn't even know that ridge point was undefeated until yesterday, but imo they will probably be out by the 2nd-3rd  round, Just like Taylor imo..Thoes teams are good until they get to playoffs then they end up getting out coached for the most part...Cy fair is good but give me the League city District as the toughest this year with (clear spring, Dickinson, Friendswood ect) any other year I would take Cy-Fair..

ill take North Shore, but I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor did pull it out, their almost a mirror image of each other, coaching would be the difference..

idk I really like the way the Woodlands are playing right now, and wouldn't be surprised for them to take R3 D1 over Katy or NS..R3 D2 I really wanna lean towards Collins but Westfield is playing very well to, so that is a toss up..I wanna be a homer and go with Brook but their coaching is suspect at times but they do have the athletes lol

Steele vs Desoto will be a good matchup but Desoto is to strong and deep this year, I really wish they were going D1..

I don't think Allen is as strong as years pass but I also don't see them losing as easily as you guys put it..Can't underestimate the heart of a champion an teams that's been their..I do like how other teams around the state are playing tho if I had to choose between Allen and the field this year I might be taking the field but wouldn't be surprised if Allen won it all 

11 hours ago, TXFBfan said:

Ridge Point will get Lamar or Cy-Ranch in the second round, if they were D2 where their enrollment should fall they walk away with the region mostly uncontested. I agree with you on Steele because they won't have to play Ridge Point who has only given up 71 points the entire season. Alief Taylor will get Dickinson in the first round. There will be a bunch of good teams that won't go far.

1-4 in Cy-Fair ISD is better than any other four in Houston, the only district with an argument is 24-6A with Dickinson, Clear Springs, Clear Creek and Friendswood. Check Cy-Fair ISD's resume, every now and then the Spring or Klein district is tougher but 10 high schools with 3,000+ students and resources is hard to compete with.

I watched Manvel basically dominate North Shore, NS is the squad that has benefitted from playing in an extremely weak district a down Westfield and Atascocita this year. I promise you when they were 1-3 last year nobody was talking titles on this side of town. North Shore is very good but Taylor looks a lot better than NS did going into the season finale last year and will probably meet in the second round this year. Overall the teams in R3 6A-D1 have combined for about a dozen state title game appearances in last decade so, every game after bi-district will be regional final quality..  

26 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Ridge Point will get Lamar or Cy-Ranch in the second round, if they were D2 where their enrollment should fall they walk away with the region mostly uncontested. I agree with you on Steele because they won't have to play Ridge Point who has only given up 71 points the entire season. Alief Taylor will get Dickinson in the first round. There will be a bunch of good teams that won't go far.

1-4 in Cy-Fair ISD is better than any other four in Houston, the only district with an argument is 24-6A with Dickinson, Clear Springs, Clear Creek and Friendswood. Check Cy-Fair ISD's resume, every now and then the Spring or Klein district is tougher but 10 high schools with 3,000+ students and resources is hard to compete with.

I watched Manvel basically dominate North Shore, NS is the squad that has benefitted from playing in an extremely weak district a down Westfield and Atascocita this year. I promise you when they were 1-3 last year nobody was talking titles on this side of town. North Shore is very good but Taylor looks a lot better than NS did going into the season finale last year and will probably meet in the second round this year. Overall the teams in R3 6A-D1 have combined for about a dozen state title game appearances in last decade so, every game after bi-district will be regional final quality..  

I agree on the top four in those two districts.  Number four beats most districts.  The combined Spring Klein district that was broken apart this season is probably the best over several years that I've seen.  But since they were split this season, I agree Cy and 24 6A are the deepest.  But, while I think their depth is fantastic, I don't think their top teams will do well against Katy or NS.  Time will tell.  I really like NS coach and think his team would play much better against Manvel now.  I'm not sure NS would beat them, but Manvel may well be the best team in 5A.  I fully expect Katy, NS or LT to be the state finalist.  My problem with Ridge Point is while their numbers are great, they really have no statement victories over top tier teams.  If I had to pick the two champs now it is Desoto (assuming they go D2) and The Woodlands.

11 hours ago, D3zii said:

I really didn't even know that ridge point was undefeated until yesterday, but imo they will probably be out by the 2nd-3rd  round, Just like Taylor imo..Thoes teams are good until they get to playoffs then they end up getting out coached for the most part...Cy fair is good but give me the League city District as the toughest this year with (clear spring, Dickinson, Friendswood ect) any other year I would take Cy-Fair..

ill take North Shore, but I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor did pull it out, their almost a mirror image of each other, coaching would be the difference..

idk I really like the way the Woodlands are playing right now, and wouldn't be surprised for them to take R3 D1 over Katy or NS..R3 D2 I really wanna lean towards Collins but Westfield is playing very well to, so that is a toss up..I wanna be a homer and go with Brook but their coaching is suspect at times but they do have the athletes lol

Steele vs Desoto will be a good matchup but Desoto is to strong and deep this year, I really wish they were going D1..

I don't think Allen is as strong as years pass but I also don't see them losing as easily as you guys put it..Can't underestimate the heart of a champion an teams that's been their..I do like how other teams around the state are playing tho if I had to choose between Allen and the field this year I might be taking the field but wouldn't be surprised if Allen won it all 

Katy and NS are in Region Three.  The Woodlands, Westfield, Klein Collins and West Brook are in Region Two.  

You and I are on the same page with regard to Ridge Point.  They were a very good 5A team, cleaning up against a sub par district in 6A.  As soon as they face a top tier 6A team they'll be out.  See George Ranch.   GR was supposed to be a major contender in 6A.  Some polls had them rated in the top ten to start the season in 6A.  As soon as they faced a good 6A team, Dickinson, they lost.  The Woodlands completely destroyed them.  The same thing will happen to RP.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think I'll take 24-6A, they way Dickinson and Clear Spring is playing right now they have and argument to very well be the best two teams in the Greater Houston area..

No doubt I was surprised at How Manvel handled NS , but one thing I've learned with Playing Manvel you can't try to beat them on athletesism you have to play Discipline football..that's how Katy use to beat them every year ..I bet a team like the woodlands would beat them or at least make them earn it unlike what Northshore did..

So you'll take Taylor against North Shore in the playoffs?? Idk not saying they wouldn't but just seems to me Taylor is one of those teams that can't get over the hump..Maybe this is the year it changes idk....

58 minutes ago, TXFBfan said:

Katy and NS are in Region Three.  The Woodlands, Westfield, Klein Collins and West Brook are in Region Two.  

You and I are on the same page with regard to Ridge Point.  They were a very good 5A team, cleaning up against a sub par district in 6A.  As soon as they face a top tier 6A team they'll be out.  See George Ranch.   GR was supposed to be a major contender in 6A.  Some polls had them rated in the top ten to start the season in 6A.  As soon as they faced a good 6A team, Dickinson, they lost.  The Woodlands completely destroyed them.  The same thing will happen to RP.

Wow has it always been like that?? I've been in Mississippi so I didn't know..

Exactly,  RP will do good until they run into a good 6A team and will get out coached ..No shortage on athletes but coaching can impede a lot of things. .Houston is just really deep this year and I don't see them getting past 3rd round at best could be wrong tho 

18 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Exactly,  RP will do good until they run into a good 6A team and will get out coached ..No shortage on athletes but coaching can impede a lot of things. .Houston is just really deep this year and I don't see them getting past 3rd round at best could be wrong tho 

Of that group only West Brook switched regions.  They will probably switch back to R2 after last season as UIL took a lot of heat for making such a wide geographic area district.  I don't see them doing that again.

Here is a side by side comparison of what I consider a top 6A team The Woodlands and Ridge Point

Ridge Point scores 372 points in nine games giving up a paltry 71 points.  That comes out to scoring 41.3 ppg and allowing a super impressive 7.9 ppg.

The Woodlands scores 401 points in nine games giving up 102 points.  That comes out to scoring 44.6 ppg and allowing 11.3 ppg.

On the surface Ridge Point looks more impressive with a greater spread between points scored v points allowed.  But dig deeper and a different picture emerges.  The overall record of Ridge Point's opponents is 34-43 with the district opponents overall records being 22-28.  The overall record of The Woodlands opponents is 53-29 with the district opponents records being 27-19.

The biggest victories for RP are 7-2 Stratford, 7-2 Kemper and 6-3 Travis. The biggest victories for TW are 7-2 Cy Fair, 7-2 Spring, 7-2 Katy, 8-1 West Brook and 6-3 Lufkin.

I just don't get the enthusiasm for Ridge Point, mostly they've beaten up on weak teams.

32 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

IF WestBrook gets past longview in 1st round I see them matching up against Stratford in 3rd round....I haven't seen Stratford play only know they got shut out against RP and nearly shutout vs Klein Collins.  SO how does WestBrook stack up to Stratford?

I don't see Stratford getting pass 1st round

Region II
Garland Naaman Forest at Dallas Jesuit
Lufkin at Tyler John Tyler
Austin Anderson at Pflugerville
Spring DeKaney at Klein Collins
Richardson Lake Highlands at Garland Lakeview Centennial
Longview at Beaumont West Brook
Round Rock McNeil at San Marcos
Houston Stratford at Spring Westfield

This is the latest projected line-up I've seen.  I see WF beating Stratford then the McNeil v San Marcos winner.  The Longview BWB winner should defeat the Lake Highlands v Garland Lakeview Centennial team.

So that potentially pits WF against BWB in round three.  WF is weaker than last season, but should be a heavy favorite over BWB if they play.

I see the other side of the bracket or potential fourth round BWB opponent as the winner between KC and John Tyler with KC being the favorite to win the Regional title.  Just my opinion for what it's worth.

I haven't seen WF this season, but I have seen West Brook.   WF lost a lot of talent from the very good team last season.  Based on what I've read, they still have plenty of size and also the speed of West Brook.  I think WF is a 14 point favorite.  But, the wild card is West Brook's offense.  If the size and speed of WF can shut down the West Brook offense like The Woodlands did to them, it will be a long night.  But, if West Brook can get something going like they did against a very good Lufkin team, there could be an upset.  JMHO.

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

just looked Stratford is scheduled to play Westfield.

So change my question to How does WB stack up to Westfield?

Ive seen both, Westfield isn't the Westfield of old, but they are still Westfield, speed and athleticism every where maybe smaller then in years pass but still a good team...if I had to compare them to someone WB played it would be Lufkin with a better Defense,...They have good loses all to good teams Euless Trinity by 1, Hou Lamar, and NS..

If I had to choose I'd take Westbrook by 7 just based on what I've seen but Westfield is still good and wouldn't be surprised at all if Westfield beat Brook if Brook coaching is suspect I'll take the field by 14

21 hours ago, D3zii said:

I promise you the one thing that won't happen when you play Ridge Point is that you will outcoach them. Ridge Point is a defensive football team but just happens to have four star players on offense too. They'll be outnumbered heavily in the D1 playoffs but the only team I would truly favor over them in the region right now are Cy-Ranch and Katy.

North Shore has made their hay playing defense for 20+ years now. This year they're only giving up 11.8ppg, but so is Taylor and they've played about equal schedules. The difference is that NS's qb leads them in rushing also, Manvel shut him down except for a couple of big runs and NS could barely move the ball with any efficiency. Under coach Kay they moved to more of a passing game and really don't grind you into the dirt like years past. Taylor's qb has 24 tds against 2 picks and his top three receivers all average over 17ypc with one of the best receivers in the country, Brennan Eagles, leading the way. They also have two legit backs to balance out the offense. Now Taylor's issue is that they can be outcoached but other than the Woodlands and Cy-Ranch there hasn't been a more consistent team from start to finish of the season than Taylor.

A lot of very good teams won't make it to the third round in region 3 because of the depth, some will probably be state ranked.