Does your school's band play at the right time?

TexasPanther2012

47 minutes ago, bcred said:

Wow. That's harsh. Do you even know how much work they put in daily? They start practicing weeks before the football team even shows up. They have so many trophies and awards, they just pile them in a corner of the band hall, seriously. The BC band is well respected in this area as they are just that good. You call yourself "CardinalBacker." I guess you limit which Cardinals you "back," because calling a group of hard working, talented, amazing musicians "Nerd Herd" isn't exactly supportive. What a shame.

Our band has grown exponentially over the past few years. That has presented a problem during 3rd quarter because they're too big and way too loud. Last year it was agreed they would only play while we were on defense. Last year's head drum majors were very in tune with the game and controlled the band accordingly. The game is close, we're on defense, they knew what to have them play and play loud. They knew when to hush them. It worked well.

I don't know what happened this year other than they had almost 150 kids on the track, they were too loud, and were playing at the wrong time. Rather than have a discussion with band leadership and come to a compromise, they were told to shut down 3rd quarter. The band has had a change in leadership this year, new drum majors and different band director. I don't know what has happened, but I have heard from several people that they're too quiet during the game and that's a shame as they do play a crucial part to the vibe of the game. I've only been to one game this season so I can't form an opinion on that. But what I did notice is that even the fans have a different attitude, not as lively as they were last year. What changed?

Anywho....that's my 2 cents worth of rambling. Next time stick around at halftime and enjoy their show. They would appreciate the support.

Oh, I'm aware.  I've got one playing football and one in the band. 

You still can't have a 150 person hoe-down behind the bench during third quarter.  

If you don't like "Nerd Herd," you don't want to hear what they call the Strutters.

21 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Oh, I'm aware.  I've got one playing football and one in the band. 

You still can't have a 150 person hoe-down behind the bench during third quarter.  

If you don't like "Nerd Herd," you don't want to hear what they call the Strutters.

CB your something else lol

2 hours ago, BHMOMFORLIFE said:

Our drill team has Crosby's former Instructor, Mrs. Stoeck. I hated to see Mrs. Gray retire (being this is my daughters senior year). Isn't Crosbys band considered a military style band and has to present themselves as such ??

That is they style of marching they do, for competition.  Yes, they are military (went to state last year, along with BH I believe).  I have a daughter that was in drill team and was under the direction of Mrs. Stoeck, as well.

1 hour ago, Brubaker said:

The Nederland Band is on point and a great asset during the game.  They play in the right moments.  Good job

You are so right about that!  We always sit near the band and really enjoy seeing how much fun those kids are having, heck they start more cheers than the cheerleaders do! They do a great job supporting our team and display class and good sportsmanship.  I couldn't imagine sitting through one of our games without having our band there to get the crowd going...lots of fun.

Whooooooooeeeee...looks like this is a touchy subject. I would still pay and watch football if no band, no cheerleaders and no dance team were present but with that said if the band is rock'n it, it sure does make it a fun experience for me. Also, in the "my video score board is bigger than yours era..." you can't hear the band or cheerleaders because of the freaking loud commercials. 

Whoooooee part #2. 

I must confess...the sky divers, fireworks and food trucks at a high school football game IMO is awesome. 

3 hours ago, BHMOMFORLIFE said:

Our drill team has Crosby's former Instructor, Mrs. Stoeck. I hated to see Mrs. Gray retire (being this is my daughters senior year). Isn't Crosbys band considered a military style band and has to present themselves as such ??

That is they style of marching they do, for competition.  Yes, they are military (went to state last year, along with BH I believe).  I have a daughter that was in drill team and was under the direction of Mrs. Stoeck, as well.

---------------------------------------

IDK if being a military marching band has anything to do with playing in the stands. I still think it's the director and not the kids. IMO a good director needs to understand the game. 

Don't play on offense. 

Do play on defense. 

Play on first down, scores & time outs. 

NEVER PLAY DURING INJURIES. 

Whats so hard about that...wait we can't hear them anyway because of the video score board is too dang loud. 

19 hours ago, vp93 said:

Yeah, they penalize the team. The band is not supposed to play while the other team had the ball and is at the line of scrimmage. I haven't seen it around here, but I've seen it around Austin and in the valley. I think they usually warm them, then next time is 5yrd delay of game penalty and if it happened again is unsportsmanlike conduct 15yrds.

Well they'd be penalizing us all the time.  Too me it's part of the game and Friday night lights...

On 9/27/2016 at 8:09 AM, pakronos said:
4 minutes ago, NDNation said:

There are ways to stop Cherokee. Stop us from getting 1st downs, stop us from scoring, etc....

go sit down in traffic with that BS statement...

21 hours ago, NDNation said:

Not if they don't make a 1st down

23 hours ago, NDNation said:

And the WHOLE game..lol

I was kidding. I have always love the PNG band. I know kids that play in it.

4 minutes ago, AdvoSETexas said:

Really? What do they do when the fans make a noise??? Get flagged too. I also like the Jags band they are always loud and good and know when to play.

If they have artificial noise makers (ie bells,horns,etc), they can. Cheering, clapping, etc are all within the rules.

A former drill team member here and a band sister - now a coach's wife.  

I have witnessed over the years several types of bands.  Some know when to play, some don't know when to play.  However, I attribute that mostly to their leadership.  

Several years ago, 2 TDs were scored against us in the first 5 minutes of the game.  That is NOT the time for the band to play "Wake Me Up When It's All Over."  

I've also noticed that bands don't like to play to the home stands anymore - they play to their fans.  Just this year, there have been 2 instances of this.  When I was in high school, I remember letters being written to the editor of the local newspaper about how rude and disrespectful it was.  

Also, at the end of the games, when both teams are playing their school songs (win or lose), each band should be respectful and let the other finish their song before beginning to play theirs.  At one particular game, the visiting team completed their song, then the home team began playing theirs and about 30 second into it, the visiting team starting playing some other random song.  

Last, when a band doesn't get to perform at halftime because of Homecoming festivities, they normally practice their marching competition piece after the game.  I feel like the visiting team should stay and watch.  

Just my opinions!  

Huffman has a solid band, plenty of hard working kids, plenty of trophies in the case. They do however, miss a huge opportunity to be apart of the Friday Night Lights experience. I am sure, though I've never bothered enough to track it down, that they play on a schedule and it has nothing to do with the game except when to get ready for halftime. The whole of the third quarter is a break time and then the fourth is for some sort of meet the band thing. They bring their own speakers so they can hear each other talk on the mic over the football game. In last years battle against LCM, with winner going to the playoffs I had to hear "My favorite Power Ranger is... and "My favorite color Skittle is..."

The band is in all cases going to be a large impact to the game experience. I wish more would make the effort to make it a positive one.

On 9/29/2016 at 8:34 AM, bcred said:

Wow. That's harsh. Do you even know how much work they put in daily? They start practicing weeks before the football team even shows up. They have so many trophies and awards, they just pile them in a corner of the band hall, seriously. The BC band is well respected in this area as they are just that good. You call yourself "CardinalBacker." I guess you limit which Cardinals you "back," because calling a group of hard working, talented, amazing musicians "Nerd Herd" isn't exactly supportive. What a shame.

Our band has grown exponentially over the past few years. That has presented a problem during 3rd quarter because they're too big and way too loud. Last year it was agreed they would only play while we were on defense. Last year's head drum majors were very in tune with the game and controlled the band accordingly. The game is close, we're on defense, they knew what to have them play and play loud. They knew when to hush them. It worked well.

I don't know what happened this year other than they had almost 150 kids on the track, they were too loud, and were playing at the wrong time. Rather than have a discussion with band leadership and come to a compromise, they were told to shut down 3rd quarter. The band has had a change in leadership this year, new drum majors and different band director. I don't know what has happened, but I have heard from several people that they're too quiet during the game and that's a shame as they do play a crucial part to the vibe of the game. I've only been to one game this season so I can't form an opinion on that. But what I did notice is that even the fans have a different attitude, not as lively as they were last year. What changed?

Anywho....that's my 2 cents worth of rambling. Next time stick around at halftime and enjoy their show. They would appreciate the support.

This is exactly true  and I wish they would revisit this prior to district starting  it's that important   you're also.correct the morale is way down  lots of new leadership and changes  not that they are wrong but definitely different  and it's having a negative impact   very sad for this year's seniors   they lived through 11 years of school to get to this day and place   praying it changes prior to next week's game   

Yea I wouldn't call Ozen band trash by far , they get down for theirs , but I must say Central and Memorial band battled all night 3 weeks ago , it was "epic" , from the 1st quarter to halftime , to all the way back in the stands , after each one would play a song the other would hold up their trombones , flutes , drums in the air as to say "your turn , what you got " it was good fun and very entertaining 

Pet peeve....when Bands play while their team is on offense. I attend a lot of Katy games.....everyone sits and makes no noise while they are on offense. On defense...it's crazy....then the opposite side of the field is like "Hey...we can get loud too...watch this"....meanwhile....an offensive lineman jumps early. I love a band that's in tune with the game...not just playing to be playing.