Sabine Pass 42 Acadiana Homeschool 6/FINAL

WOSgrad

24 minutes ago, the known unknown said:

It's funny what happens when you get a coach that knows what he's doing

Absolutely not, that is a result of transfers. He was there 06-09 and had a minor role afterward. These two wins might be win 7 and 8 in the last 10 years.  That's is the result of kids from Port Arthur transferring. I mean seriously, home athletics? What do they meet in someone's backyard to practice. Wait until the Evadale, West Hardin, Colmesneil and Hull-Daisetta games. 

6 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

Absolutely not, that is a result of transfers. He was there 06-09 and had a minor role afterward. These two wins might be win 7 and 8 in the last 10 years.  That's is the result of kids from Port Arthur transferring. I mean seriously, home athletics? What do they meet in someone's backyard to practice. Wait until the Evadale, West Hardin, Colmesneil and Hull-Daisetta games. 

why don't more kids from PA transfer to SP? SP has a lot to offer to the right kids.

21 minutes ago, fox said:

why don't more kids from PA transfer to SP? SP has a lot to offer to the right kids.

Most kids probably want to stay with their friends  who they grew up with and not be in the middle of nowhere with a place that has 15 families, 1 gas station and a restaurant. 

22 hours ago, fox said:

There are no kids in the Sabine Pass school district. So the school is full of transfers, but at Sabine Pass they do not want any type of manliness so ,for a little bit now, the admin has killed athletics. True Story

21 minutes ago, jv_coach said:

There are no kids in the Sabine Pass school district. So the school is full of transfers, but at Sabine Pass they do not want any type of manliness so ,for a little bit now, the admin has killed athletics. True Story

What's the population of SP? 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

What's the population of SP? 

I don't know for sure, but I know that most of the kids families who grew up there have graduated.  For it to be Sabine populated those people would have to enroll their kids. Dont ask how I know so much.....please...don't....ask

7 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

I don't know for sure, but I know that most of the kids families who grew up there have graduated.  For it to be Sabine populated those people would have to enroll their kids. Dont ask how I know so much.....please...don't....ask

I know the only kids I've known to go there lived in Lakeside. 

46 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I know the only kids I've known to go there lived in Lakeside. 

Yeah a lot come from there now. Not initially. Their first group was like  8-10 black high school kids back in the 06-07 school year. The reaction to that was not good. Lots of racial tension between the transfers, the Sabine resident kids and parents (who were the school board and office staff) but that all smoothed over by the time I last saw it. Just two years later in 09 it was unrecognizable from 06-07. Again....don't ask.

A vast majority  of the kids @ Sabine Pass are from Port Arthur. With a large amount being from the Port Acres area. I've coached  youth sports in PA and can't really recall seeing in football  or coaching in Basketball any of their kids. I've spoke with kids / parents / coaches and  noticed  a lot of these kids don't  start playing sports until middle school. Which means a lack of fundementals, practice repetitions, game experience, creative confidence and a working knowledge of the game. I sure some years coaching their is almost impossible.

To make the situation worse sports are a distant fourth behind;  1) Academics,  2) Anything else,  3) Everything else.  So every 3rd or 4th year they may have a respectable season. And that seems to suit Administration and community just fine.

I agree with Spyder.  I've seen several articles on how they excel in academics.  And most of our local 2A schools/communities, have little in youth sports.  Maybe LL baseball, but if you watch the standings in basketball, it's obvious which few have Little Dribblers, and which ones don't.   

IMO, Sabine Pass could be a powerhouse at the  2A / 3A, level just from the kids at Memorial that either sit on the bench in football or don't make the team in basketball. Their enrollment is kept at the 2A level on purpose. Bob Hope the charter school in Port Arthur has outgrown Sabine Pass. Hope is now in the district with Kountze or Silsbee in basketball not sure which one but either way Lord help them. If I was in charge at either school we would  have a Communications and Culinary Arts program. Not for recruiting purposes mind you, but for higher learning of course. Unfortunately neither Hope or Sabine Pass are proponents of the "If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin motto.

Some of us seem to think,  you can't be successful in more than one arena of endeavors. Not once did I say Academics was irrelevant. I  hold two degrees, and have kids in college. I understand the importance of an education. 

I also understand the sense of pride having winning athletic programs bring to kids and schools.  There is STILL a ton of Purple and Gold in PA because of Lincoln High School.