Favorite Country Song

Hagar

2 minutes ago, NDNation said:

I don't listen to a lot of country but I like "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line and "Spingsteen" by Eric Church.

And anything by Patsy Cline

I like Cruise.  Would've definitely been a rock song when I was young, but it's catchy a s Hades.   Patsy Cline, me too!  After your post pulled up her singing Sweet Dreams.  Listening now :) 

4 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I like Cruise.  Would've definitely been a rock song when I was young, but it's catchy a s Hades.   Patsy Cline, me too!  After your post pulled up her singing Sweet Dreams.  Listening now :) 

I never really listened to Country growing up, I've always listened to pop or rock. A good song is really hard to find these days. The music coming out on the pop scene is really hard to call music..lol I do like me some Timberlake though.

20 minutes ago, NDNation said:

I don't listen to a lot of country but I like "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line and "Spingsteen" by Eric Church.

And anything by Patsy Cline

Yeah, "Crazy" by Patsy gets a lot of jukebox play. All the artists back then envied her voice. Too bad she got killed. Lots of good songs left in her.

I like "For the Good Times" by Ray Price.

About 200 but some different ones (not ones that might not come to most people's minds) ......

Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine

Redneck Mother

King Of The Road

40 Hour Week

Okie From Muskogee

I Fall To Pieces

16 Tons

Ring of Fire

Witchita Lineman

Mama Tried

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

About 200 but some different ones (not ones that might not come to most people's minds) ......

Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine

Redneck Mother

King Of The Road

40 Hour Week

Okie From Muskogee

I Fall To Pieces

16 Tons

Ring of Fire

Witchita Lineman

Mama Tried

I have every one of these songs...and I'm not even a big Country fan.

Speaking of Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine, my favorite song by Tom T. Hall  is "I Like Beer".

Speaking of "Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother", I saw Jerry Jeff Walker in Austin about 15-20 years ago. Two weeks later, I saw Ray Wylie Hubbard (the song writer) perform in the same club.

16 Tons was not written or even originated by Tennessee Ernie Ford. It was written and gained popularity in the mid 1940s by Merle Travis. Bo Diddley has a pretty good version of it also.

Speaking of Wichita Lineman, did you know Glen Campbell got his start as a session musician with the Wrecking Crew. The Wrecking Crew were studio musicians in California that played with all the big names, particularly the Beach Boys. When Brian Wilson decided to quit touring (during the middle of a tour), Glen Campbell was hired as his replacement for the remainder of the tour.

One more. A few years ago I saw a young black girl wearing a T-Shirt that said "Mama Tried" on the front. I was joking around and asked "Are you a Merle Haggard fan?" She obviously didn't know what I was referring to, and jokingly replied, "It's a black thing, you wouldn't understand." I said "Do you know that is a song from the 1960s by Merle Haggard?" She whole-heartedly disagreed. I don't know if she ever found out that she was wearing a ripped-off title.

Damn, I better get back to work. Thanks for letting me daydream for a little while.

On July 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM, BS Wildcats said:

Anything by the late, great Keith Whitley.

I'm not big on country music, but I remember listening to "I'm No Stranger to the Rain" with my dad a lot when I was little.  That's probably still my favorite country song.

• 2 weeks later...