Houston Wheatley & Houston Jack Yates

I have said before this year the coaches are going to have lots of possibilities.  I am sure the normal system will be a 5 for 5 rotation like last year where there are at least 2 fairly equal squads. But they will be able to go little and super speedy or big with Devon at point and everyone else at least 6'.  From one thing I have been told there are possibly 14 varsity players not counting the ones brought up for the playoffs last year.  I know last year coach only wanted 12.  We shall see, it will be fun.

9 hours ago, ST413 said:

I have said before this year the coaches are going to have lots of possibilities.  I am sure the normal system will be a 5 for 5 rotation like last year where there are at least 2 fairly equal squads. But they will be able to go little and super speedy or big with Devon at point and everyone else at least 6'.  From one thing I have been told there are possibly 14 varsity players not counting the ones brought up for the playoffs last year.  I know last year coach only wanted 12.  We shall see, it will be fun.

They can go 5 in 5 out against the teams in their district but not against good teams. Although they do have quite a few athletes, theres a skill set drop off after about the top 7 or 8. You will see a normal rotation in big tournaments and the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, winwin said:

They can go 5 in 5 out against the teams in their district but not against good teams. Although they do have quite a few athletes, theres a skill set drop off after about the top 7 or 8. You will see a normal rotation in big tournaments and the playoffs. 

Not a significant enough drop. Silsbee will play 10 (possibly 12) against everybody, including Dallas Lincoln and Beaumont Kelly. ;)

33 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Not a significant enough drop. Silsbee will play 10 (possibly 12) against everybody, including Dallas Lincoln and Beaumont Kelly. ;)

Exactly and with the schedule we have this year before district all of those players will have a great chance to get tested.

45 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Don't get me wrong....Silsbee is the best team in SETX. But I see a drop off after Bush, D. McCain, M. McCain, Jones, Harris, Tyler, Adams. Not that the next 5 or 6 aren't athletic.... but both Lincoln and Bmt Kelly would beat that next group by 30 :) 

16 minutes ago, winwin said:

Don't get me wrong....Silsbee is the best team in SETX. But I see a drop off after Bush, D. McCain, M. McCain, Jones, Harris, Tyler, Adams. Not that the next 5 or 6 aren't athletic.... but both Lincoln and Bmt Kelly would beat that next group by 30 :) 

I would hope so. Otherwise your not as good as you make out to be.

I think you underestimate the skill level of Newton, Mackey, Crowder, Thomas, Lowe, Bass and Barnes. Barnes is a starter.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I think you underestimate the skill level of Newton, Mackey, Crowder, Thomas, Lowe, Bass and Barnes. Barnes is a starter.

I left Barnes out by mistake.

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Petey told me that Silsbee plays Lincoln in the first round of a tournament early this season up in Dallas. 

I'm not a fan of 5 in, 5 out in general in any game you are actually trying to win.  I've seen coaches basically use this rotation when they were maybe only 7 deep.  Sigler is deeper than 10 relative to many teams he plays and could use a 15 man rotation in many games and win going away.  

The one drawback no matter how deep you are is that a different set of 5 kids may mesh better on a particular night a different 5 on another.  If you play 2 groups together and sub them in and out with the same 5, you won't see this.  Of course when you are playing teams you will blowout regardless, it doesn't really matter. 

I did notice in a playoff game I attended and at State, Coach Sigler substituted in a more traditional manner and didn't play 10 kids an equal amount of time.  And I think he does a tremendous job of managing the depth with which he is blessed. 

16 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I'm not a fan of 5 in, 5 out in general in any game you are actually trying to win.  I've seen coaches basically use this rotation when they were maybe only 7 deep.  Sigler is deeper than 10 relative to many teams he plays and could use a 15 man rotation in many games and win going away.  

The one drawback no matter how deep you are is that a different set of 5 kids may mesh better on a particular night a different 5 on another.  If you play 2 groups together and sub them in and out with the same 5, you won't see this.  Of course when you are playing teams you will blowout regardless, it doesn't really matter. 

I did notice in a playoff game I attended and at State, Coach Sigler substituted in a more traditional manner and didn't play 10 kids an equal amount of time.  And I think he does a tremendous job of managing the depth with which he is blessed. 

Sigler went 5 in 5 out thru the playoffs, including state. What he did in a couple of games was limit to 2-3 subs in 2nd half. But he always went 5-5 in first half of every playoff game.

At least 11 players played in every playoff game.

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Sigler went 5 in 5 out thru the playoffs, including state. What he did in a couple of games was limit to 2-3 subs in 2nd half. But he always went 5-5 in first half of every playoff game.

At least 11 players played in every playoff game.

I didn't mean to imply he didn't play everyone.  But his substitutions varied more than this 5 playing with this 5 is what I meant, especially in the 2nd half.   So when you are only playing 8 deep in the 2nd half, that's not 5 in, 5 out.  His subs were different than normal in a game I saw in channelview and in the championship game, even with McCain out with injury, I can think of one kid who was in the regular rotation who played little, if any, in the 4th quarter. Again, a good coach should be able to make adjustments in any given game, which is exactly what he did. 

You are always going to have a top 5 so to speak that in close games you may use more later in the game.  In that final last season We weren't only dealing with Devon being out but had a key player or two in foul trouble which changed the rotations up.

6 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

They will go 10-12 deep again. I'm interested to see who fills the voids left by Grubbs, Maze, and Dontre Thomas. Each of those guys averaged double figures and Thomas could really battle on the boards. 

Though we will miss them all, Grubbs will be the hardest of the 3 to replace.  Maze's shooting will be replaced by Bush,  who has virtually unlimited range and is a better ball handler.   He also has the ability to finish despite his size.   From what I saw this summer, Dontre's rebounding will be replaced by Jones who will also be a strong presence as a post.  And Barnes will grab lots of rebounds as well.  Put both of them on the floor at the same time and there won't be many rebounds left to get.  Grubs however was the Tiger who just new where to be all the time, a quiet hard worker that contributed everywhere.  Not sure one Tiger will fill that role or if it will take a combination.  Right now you have:

Returnees from regular season:                     Senior move ins:

Michael McCain                                                Willie Jones

Devon McCain                                                   Calvin Tyler

Trajan Harris                                                       Curly

Jordyn Adams                                                    Thomas ? From WB

Kalon Barnes                                             Incoming Freshmen:

Bruce Newton                                                   Martin

Kolten Mackey                                                   Braylon Bush

Adonis Thomas

Three added to roster from playoffs:

Tre Lowe

Landyn Tyler

Jaden Bass

Not counting any others that could be moved up that's 17 possible varsity players.15 of which have eithermade good cases this summer or are returnees or seniors.  I have no idea what the coaches will do but it's sure a nice problem.

22 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Though we will miss them all, Grubbs will be the hardest of the 3 to replace.  Maze's shooting will be replaced by Bush,  who has virtually unlimited range and is a better ball handler.   He also has the ability to finish despite his size.   From what I saw this summer, Dontre's rebounding will be replaced by Jones who will also be a strong presence as a post.  And Barnes will grab lots of rebounds as well.  Put both of them on the floor at the same time and there won't be many rebounds left to get.  Grubs however was the Tiger who just new where to be all the time, a quiet hard worker that contributed everywhere.  Not sure one Tiger will fill that role or if it will take a combination.  Right now you have:

Returnees from regular season:                     Senior move ins:

Michael McCain                                                Willie Jones

Devon McCain                                                   Calvin Tyler

Trajan Harris                                                       Curly

Jordyn Adams                                                    Thomas ? From WB

Kalon Barnes                                             Incoming Freshmen:

Bruce Newton                                                   Martin

Kolten Mackey                                                   Braylon Bush

Adonis Thomas

Three added to roster from playoffs:

Tre Lowe

Landyn Tyler

Jaden Bass

Not counting any others that could be moved up that's 17 possible varsity players.15 of which have eithermade good cases this summer or are returnees or seniors.  I have no idea what the coaches will do but it's sure a nice problem.

I can help solve that problem....send 4 or 5 to Kelly :)

There's a player that no one is talking about that will play basketball and will probably be one of the better on the ball defenders on the team.  Quick feet, active hands, acceleration, and very physical in the ball.  Calvin Tyler's defense will probably earn him quite a bit of PT... 

On July 2, 2016 at 11:35 AM, winwin said:

Petey told me that Silsbee plays Lincoln in the first round of a tournament early this season up in Dallas. 

I hope this is true.  Play Dallas Lincoln early.  Find out what they are about, or whoever the best in 4a in Dallas is this year.  If you can play some of those big dog Dallas teams as well.  Forget about records and rankings.  There is good competition elsewhere, but Dallas is mecca.