Why want Jasper play WOS?

Why not!

Spoke on this back in February and here's: Here's a little insight 

I know the President of the Jasper athletic booster club and he told me Jasper will never play the Stangs again as long as Thompson is at WOS.

I do not know anything else, he would not tell me. 

The only thing I can think of is, there is some bad blood from the Jasper coach towards Thompson, or something happened between the 2 teams this past season.

Probably that 53-0 arse whipping handed down by WOS. Playing WOS will only make Jasper stronger for the long haul. In the playoffs Jasper has no

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Kj Dad said:

Probably that 53-0 arse whipping handed down by WOS. Playing WOS will only make Jasper stronger for the long haul. In the playoffs Jasper has no where to run and hide.

Probably right.

Jasper ran from Silsbee for a couple of yrs, although I never understood why.

•  

Guys, we really shouldn't be doing this. 

I am as frustrated as much as anybody outside of the Mustang coaching staff and players that they are still at 9 games and that teams that have available slots would also rather risk a 9 game season rather than take the field against the Mustangs.  However, coaches have differing theories on how to use their pre-district schedule to prepare their teams for the district portion of their schedule and, hopefully, for the post season.  Thus, we shouldn't castigate a coach over who he does and does not want to play as we can't look into his mind and see what how he wants his early season to play out.

Let's just cool down on it.

Preseason matchups don't really matter anyway.  Whatever "preparation" you think you got from preseason is all washed away because of district anyhow.  In my opinion, tough preseason schedules don't do anything but jeopardize health and/or losing kids mentally.   Might as well schedule teams you can beat.  Everyone is excited about the wins, everyone gets some field experience, and risk of injury goes down.

I do belive they need to fill a whole schedule...but other than that...

47 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Preseason matchups don't really matter anyway.  Whatever "preparation" you think you got from preseason is all washed away because of district anyhow.  In my opinion, tough preseason schedules don't do anything but jeopardize health and/or losing kids mentally.   Might as well schedule teams you can beat.  Everyone is excited about the wins, everyone gets some field experience, and risk of injury goes down.

Mediocre  

Just now, One4All said:

Mediocre  

The University of Alabama (National Champions) had non-conference games with Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana-Monroe,  and Charleston Southern...this year.  Wow.  Stellar.  You know more than Nick Saban about scheduling games?  If so then I can guarantee that you are not being paid enough.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

You giving kids false hope. Everybody thinking they better than what they're really are. Get to district and get manhandle

50 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

The University of Alabama (National Champions) had non-conference games with Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana-Monroe,  and Charleston Southern...this year.  Wow.  Stellar.  You know more than Nick Saban about scheduling games?  If so then I can guarantee that you are not being paid enough.

Cant compare high school and college...

16 minutes ago, Mustangs93 said:

You giving kids false hope. Everybody thinking they better than what they're really are. Get to district and get manhandle

Not giving kids false hope.  You're giving your studs a chance to rest some, and your backups a chance to see the field.  That will be more beneficial down the road than playing tough games in which nobody comes out and you may or may not lose.  What message are you sending kids when you tell them that doing it a certain way is how to win...and then they lose?

15 minutes ago, Mustangs93 said:

Cant compare high school and college...

And I belive it's pretty relevant.  Nick Saban knows that every single game they play in the SEC will be a dogfight so why schedule tough out of conference games.

Take WOS as an example this year.  They played Hamshire, Orangefield, Liberty, Hardin-Jefferson, then Scarborough, then 2 or 3 other joke of a playoff teams before they even got to some competition.  You honestly think those pre-season games meant anything after going 2 months without having to do anything other than basically show up.  Not knocking their accomplishment...just stating that I don't believe the pre-season would not have mattered one way or another.  Other than the only opportunity all year to get a good game.

And what if the opposite were true?  A team in a tough district...Let's say they schedule all tough teams pre-season to "prepare" and then get blanked in district.  What will you accomplish by going 1-9 on the year?  Nothing but pissed off parents, disheartened kids, and a fired coach.

My opinion is that it's better to build confidence.  Nobody cares how "tough" your schedule is.  Ultimately it's wins vs losses.  The winningest coaches/teams do not have an asterisk beside their records if they played weak opponents. 

1 hour ago, studd88 said:

I see your point, but disagree. Those games you named for WOS were district and playoff games. The Foster's and Silsbee's prepared them for the Gilmer's and Celina's.

Agree to disagree.  Those kids were no longer conditioned to play competitive games by the time they saw the Gilmers and Celinas. 2 months of weak competition had washed it away.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Agree to disagree.  Those kids were no longer conditioned to play competitive games by the time they saw the Gilmers and Celinas. 2 months of weak competition had washed it away.

The Silsbee game help us on stopping an athletic QB...The Foster game woke us up and let us know that you can't just show up,that you still have to play. 

10 minutes ago, Mustangs93 said:

The Silsbee game help us on stopping an athletic QB...The Foster game woke us up and let us know that you can't just show up,that you still have to play. 

Not doubting you.  Then you went 2 months without having to do any of that.  So... I mean, I know why you did it.  But it didn't matter either way.

7 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Not giving kids false hope.  You're giving your studs a chance to rest some, and your backups a chance to see the field.  That will be more beneficial down the road than playing tough games in which nobody comes out and you may or may not lose.  What message are you sending kids when you tell them that doing it a certain way is how to win...and then they lose?

And I belive it's pretty relevant.  Nick Saban knows that every single game they play in the SEC will be a dogfight so why schedule tough out of conference games.

Take WOS as an example this year.  They played Hamshire, Orangefield, Liberty, Hardin-Jefferson, then Scarborough, then 2 or 3 other joke of a playoff teams before they even got to some competition.  You honestly think those pre-season games meant anything after going 2 months without having to do anything other than basically show up.  Not knocking their accomplishment...just stating that I don't believe the pre-season would not have mattered one way or another.  Other than the only opportunity all year to get a good game.

And what if the opposite were true?  A team in a tough district...Let's say they schedule all tough teams pre-season to "prepare" and then get blanked in district.  What will you accomplish by going 1-9 on the year?  Nothing but pissed off parents, disheartened kids, and a fired coach.

My opinion is that it's better to build confidence.  Nobody cares how "tough" your schedule is.  Ultimately it's wins vs losses.  The winningest coaches/teams do not have an asterisk beside their records if they played weak opponents. 

Your argument is predicated on having a tough district.  With WOS, they schedule as tough as they can in predistrict to try and get some real competition that will get them battle tested for the playoffs.  Then they go a month playing patsies.   Same with Silsbee in basketball.  Sigler tries to find the best of the best to play (like with WOS, he gets some takers and some passers) because he knows he gets two games in a couple of months (HJ) where his team is going to even be remotely challenged.  And I would say like Saban, it's kind of hard to argue with their results. 

But if a given district is a juggernaut, then your schedule the Sisters of the Poor makes more sense...

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Yes my theory makes more sense if you have a really tough district.

But what I'm saying is that if you have a district of cupcakes..pre-season schedule doesn't matter either way.  A tough game week 3 has zero bearing on how you will perform week 12.

That's where we disagree.  A lot of these districts are 5 and 6 team districts.  So a game you played 4 or 5 weeks before the playoffs matters.  Kids need to be put in the pressure cooker and have to perform.  50 point beatdowns don't give you that experience.  It's situational experience that can benefit the team in the long run.   I really believe if WOS (and Silsbee in basketball) had never been challenged, they don't make the runs they did.  Plus, any coach worth his salt will tell you every game is an opportunity to get better.  The more you are challenged, the bigger the opportunity.  

But, as I say, in college football, playing in a tough conference, there is little incentive to beef up the schedule.  Especially when the main goal is based upon polling where win-loss records are key.  That is why you see the Saban's scheduling mostly cupcakes.  In college basketball, where the RPI is the gospel, not so much.