Liberalism And Thought Crimes...

smitty

Wow. I just lost all respect for Loretta Lynch. Man-made climate change is just a political issue being pushed by progressive liberals to exert more power over the uneducated masses. Anyone that doesn't believe that is the true denier. What is so disheartening is that if she is such a liberal ideologue, I now have zero confidence in her prosecuting Hillary Clinton (even though that confidence was not high to begin with).

I think all of the Republican candidates need to be grilled on this issue to see exactly where each one stands.

Let's try this one:

Headline 2018

"President Cruz seeks new legislation that would seek civil action against scientists who publicly refute the biblical creation story" 

I'm not saying you, but I bet that a good number of talk radio conservatives would praise this legislation up and down, saying it's about time we did something!

that's why the fox news crowd is so off putting to moderates, it's the inconsistent ethics, you either believe in free thought or you don't, you can't say people should be free to do what they want only so long as they do what you think is right

(I am not saying I support the idea in the original post, in fact it's really stupid, just trying to make a point)

30 minutes ago, gohornets23 said:

Let's try this one:

Headline 2018

"President Cruz seeks new legislation that would seek civil action against scientists who publicly refute the biblical creation story" 

I'm not saying you, but I bet that a good number of talk radio conservatives would praise this legislation up and down, saying it's about time we did something!

that's why the fox news crowd is so off putting to moderates, it's the inconsistent ethics, you either believe in free thought or you don't, you can't say people should be free to do what they want only so long as they do what you think is right

(I am not saying I support the idea in the original post, in fact it's really stupid, just trying to make a point)

It seems you are making false accusations against the integrity of Cruz and of all Christians. I see no evidence that Cruz would propose such nonsense. I see no evidence that if he actually did propose that type of legislation that the vast majority of Americans, including Christians, would not revolt.

There have been many instances of Christians exerting Christianity theology in legislation, but not where Christians would insist on "join us or face persecution". That's the domain of radical Islam and progressive liberals. If Christians would have been dead-set on forcing everyone to believe in the Bible through legislation, it would have been done in 1776.

40 minutes ago, gohornets23 said:

Let's try this one:

Headline 2018

It seems you are making false accusations against the integrity of Cruz and of all Christians. I see no evidence that Cruz would propose such nonsense. I see no evidence that if he actually did propose that type of legislation that the vast majority of Americans, including Christians, would not revolt.

There have been many instances of Christians exerting Christian theology in legislation, but not where Christians would insist on "join us or face persecution". That's the domain of radical Islam and progressive liberals. If Christians would have been dead-set on forcing everyone to believe in the Bible through legislation, it would have been done in 1776.

1 hour ago, Englebert said:

There have been many instances of Christians exerting Christian theology in legislation, but not where Christians would insist on "join us or face persecution". That's the domain of radical Islam and progressive liberals. If Christians would have been dead-set on forcing everyone to believe in the Bible through legislation, it would have been done in 1776.

Forgive my poor writing, I wasn't trying to make a personal attack on the integrity of anybody. Maybe I'm way off, certainly not for the first time, but it seems to me that many of my friends and neighbors would definitely support laws against criticism of christianity if they were ever to surface in a realistic way (oh the horror of reading my facebook feed if such a thing were ever actually in the national discourse). The original post used the term "thought-crime" an idea which is sadly becoming the norm on the authoritarian left, but let's not forget that the single biggest persecutor of thought-crime throughout human history has undoubtedly been organized religion. 

11 minutes ago, gohornets23 said:

Forgive my poor writing, I wasn't trying to make a personal attack on the integrity of anybody. Maybe I'm way off, certainly not for the first time, but it seems to me that many of my friends and neighbors would definitely support laws against criticism of christianity if they were ever to surface in a realistic way (oh the horror of reading my facebook feed if such a thing were ever actually in the national discourse). The original post used the term "thought-crime" an idea which is sadly becoming the norm on the authoritarian left, but let's not forget that the single biggest persecutor of thought-crime throughout human history has undoubtedly been organized religion. 

I definitely agree with you that "the single biggest persecutor of thought-crime throughout human history has undoubtedly been organized religion." But that hasn't happened in the United States. In fact, throughout the history of the U.S. Christians have occupied the majority of seats in the legislative bodies, but other religions have not been trounced out. I constantly hear that the far-right Bible-thumping Christians are trying to take everyone's rights away. History shows that is not the case, but many people always refer to it as truth.

Trump is playing on the misnomer "fear of Christian domination" and "unethical Christians" belief that many people have. He is constantly saying that "Ted Cruz walks around waving the Bible then lies". He is targeting that misconception in order to gain votes. (If he wants to talk about inconsistent ethics, he needs to go no further than the nearest mirror.) That's what prompted my response. There is nothing in Ted Cruz's history, or the U.S. Christian history, that should lead anyone to believe that if elected Cruz would try to invoke Christian doctrine on everyone.

1 hour ago, Englebert said:

I definitely agree with you that "the single biggest persecutor of thought-crime throughout human history has undoubtedly been organized religion." But that hasn't happened in the United States. In fact, throughout the history of the U.S. Christians have occupied the majority of seats in the legislative bodies, but other religions have not been trounced out. I constantly hear that the far-right Bible-thumping Christians are trying to take everyone's rights away. History shows that is not the case, but many people always refer to it as truth.

Trump is playing on the misnomer "fear of Christian domination" and "unethical Christians" belief that many people have. He is constantly saying that "Ted Cruz walks around waving the Bible then lies". He is targeting that misconception in order to gain votes. (If he wants to talk about inconsistent ethics, he needs to go no further than the nearest mirror.) That's what prompted my response. There is nothing in Ted Cruz's history, or the U.S. Christian history, that should lead anyone to believe that if elected Cruz would try to invoke Christian doctrine on everyone.

Good post!

Btw gh23, I know the point you were trying to make, but that analogy you used was terrible since, thanks to the left, a public school teacher who tried to teach biblical creationism would probably get fired.   

Anyway, I think we agree on how ridiculous (scary) the story link is.  Sadly, I'm convinced many of you will live to see much more of this insanity.