DC Hire at BH - Danny Cowgill from AL

bleedblue

5 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

You know I like to get you all stirred up OS. Keeps your heart pumping. You deserve a little backlash, ever so often with as much people coming at your from all angles, I figure......Why not join the crowd?

Katy is a system. The kids buy in. Most don't excel at the collegiate level, exception a few good lineman and ole' ReD over there last few years. I believe they had 8 commits from the Offense and 4 from the defense.

Back to the topic of discussion......BH will be relevant in 2-3 years. Not all related to the hiring of this new staff but also due to the area developing around Mont Belvieu. It's inevitable and as soon as they become the big 5a with a little mixture/flavor as I call it, then it's time to start paying close attention to things going on at the Hill.

They can, They Will......They are Barbers Hill. And like I said, "if you build it, they will come" - They just won't come from Iowa.

"It's inevitable and as soon as they become the big 5a with a little mixture/flavor as I call it, then it's time to start paying close attention to things going on at the Hill."

A little mixture/flavor? Hmmmm.

9 hours ago, bleedblue said:

But great coaching is a start......

Bleedblue, I hope you are right.  I guess this old man still has a lot of ole school left in him which may be one reason I am having difficulty seeing "the vision."  Most of my knowledge and experience is on the girls side where we have competed from day one.  Unfortunately, we have not competed as well on the boys' side.  

So, new coach....new facility...returning players?  Many many years ago when my friends and I played football, we loved the game and it didn't matter who was the coach or how lavish the facilities or equipment; we played.  Back in the day, we didn't have the best facilities or weight room, but we were consumed with getting bigger, faster, and stronger. During summers, we had cement weights inside the burgundy plastic...some of which were taped with gray tape to stop the cement from falling out.  But we lift weights at least 3 times a week, rotating to each other's  garage, and by our Jr. year we were benching 300 lbs+.

While I do acknowledge great coaching is a start, I have to admit that I am having difficulty visualizing quality players west of us passing up North Shore, etc., and those east of us leaving the Beaumont area to come to BH to play football.

Returning players?  I played junior high and/or freshmen football with multiple good athletes who quit football and decided to come back to play varsity their 11th/12th grade year.  No doubt, the time away from the game negatively impacted their play.

And, even with great coaching, great facilities, all the quality move-ins to BH, there has been and continues to be, certain folk who have become cynical; and truly believe "the politics" - not only to be disheartening - but a barrier that may have contributed to the mediocrity on the boys' side.  

"Most of my knowledge and experience is on the girls side where we have competed from day one."

Hoopster - I would say 'moderate' success prior to Rivers in the early 80s!  :)

"Many many years ago when my friends and I played football, we loved the game and it didn't matter who was the coach or how lavish the facilities or equipment; we played." 

And this is how I was raised.  (played bball all summer in a NON A/C GYM in the old HS (now MSN)  Our parents parenting style is long gone. 

I still think we are headed in the right direction - said with fingers crossed!

17 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

You know I like to get you all stirred up OS. Keeps your heart pumping. You deserve a little backlash, ever so often with as much people coming at your from all angles, I figure......Why not join the crowd?

Katy is a system. The kids buy in. Most don't excel at the collegiate level, exception a few good lineman and ole' ReD over there last few years. I believe they had 8 commits from the Offense and 4 from the defense.

Back to the topic of discussion......BH will be relevant in 2-3 years. Not all related to the hiring of this new staff but also due to the area developing around Mont Belvieu. It's inevitable and as soon as they become the big 5a with a little mixture/flavor as I call it, then it's time to start paying close attention to things going on at the Hill.

They can, They Will......They are Barbers Hill. And like I said, "if you build it, they will come" - They just won't come from Iowa.

I think the south side of I-10 is where the majority of BH's athletes will come from. We can talk about the area growing but all you have to do is take a look down the road at 4000+ enrollment Deer Park to tell you can still run a deficit even with more kids to choose from. Unless you're from BH or the surrounding area they'll still have a hard time attracting people like me with three young sons who are all good athletes because the same house that's $250k+ is about $160K in North Shore, Baytown, Liberty Lakes, Crosby, Atascosita, etc. Not to mention the high property tax they pay out there. Those places are also a lot more "inclusive/receptive" to different people moving in. At the end of the day I don't you'll ever get the diversity in BH because there are too many factors that work against it, I do agree that they'll improve because of the coaching and simply having more kids to choose from as the area grows though.  

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think the south side of I-10 is where the majority of BH's athletes will come from. We can talk about the area growing but all you have to do is take a look down the road at 4000+ enrollment Deer Park to tell you can still run a deficit even with more kids to choose from. Unless you're from BH or the surrounding area they'll still have a hard time attracting people like me with three young sons who are all good athletes because the same house that's $250k+ is about $160K in North Shore, Baytown, Liberty Lakes, Crosby, Atascosita, etc. Not to mention the high property tax they pay out there. Those places are also a lot more "inclusive/receptive" to different people moving in. At the end of the day I don't you'll ever get the diversity in BH because there are too many factors that work against it, I do agree that they'll improve because of the coaching and simply having more kids to choose from as the area grows though.  

We have a large hispanic population. Our African American population is rising, but not to your liking. Property taxes are among the lowest in the Houston area. Academics is what gets most kids moving here no matter their color. You spew so many false things about BH. I didn't grow up here. But it's home now and we've been treated great. There's more move ins than people that are home grown. Good luck with your hate towards BH.

BH 

73% white

21% hispanic

3% African American 

3% other

You do realize Crosby is only 12% African American? 

37 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

We have a large hispanic population. Our African American population is rising, but not to your liking. Property taxes are among the lowest in the Houston area. Academics is what gets most kids moving here no matter their color. You spew so many false things about BH. I didn't grow up here. But it's home now and we've been treated great. There's more move ins than people that are home grown. Good luck with your hate towards BH.

BH 

73% white

21% hispanic

3% African American 

3% other

You do realize Crosby is only 12% African American? 

False things like what? Your district is 2.6% black, Crosby ISD is closer to 20%. The "inclusive" thing comes from a BH transfer that would have been a stud but is now at Crosby. I don't think you necessarily need diversity to win, my comment was about why BH won't get more diverse. My comment on Moss' "flavor" remark which highlighted Deer Park was about how BH currently mirrors them on a much smaller scale. I can also tell you what a BH transfer from Crosby relayed but it's unnecessary. If we buy the same house and yours cost 100K more at comparable tax rates, which Crosby and BH are, who pays the higher mortgage if financed at the same rate? As far as the homegrown thing, there are also more move ins than homegrown people in Houston proper 4 million population too. That's normal in a growing area. I'm just explaining why 90% look like you.

You just said yourself "Academics is what gets most kids moving here no matter their color." That's also the case in Deer Park so thank you for making my point for me. We're on a football website talking about programs winning and losing football games, unfortunately Crosby, North Shore and Atascosita don't get academic transfers unless they're moving from the inner city usually. They do win football games though.

I know y'all don't like my flavor, diversity spill. That's my opinion and my style. I want a black RB, I want 2 Black WR's. I want a white TE. I want a white QB. I want studs on the line, no matter what color.

I was accused of being racist or some garbage on another thread because I shared "my style" of what a winning program looks like.

We all are different. Mine just so happens to sync with some of the greatest HS football coaches you'll ever have a chance to meet or talk to. And that's not to say that its the right way or the only way. That's the beauty of it, there's many ways to get there.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

False things like what? Your district is 2.6% black, Crosby ISD is closer to 20%. The "inclusive" thing comes from a BH transfer that would have been a stud but is now at Crosby. I don't think you necessarily need diversity to win, my comment was about why BH won't get more diverse. My comment on Moss' "flavor" remark which highlighted Deer Park was about how BH currently mirrors them on a much smaller scale. I can also tell you what a BH transfer from Crosby relayed but it's unnecessary. If we buy the same house and yours cost 100K more at comparable tax rates, which Crosby and BH are, who pays the higher mortgage if financed at the same rate? As far as the homegrown thing, there are also more move ins than homegrown people in Houston proper 4 million population too. That's normal in a growing area. I'm just explaining why 90% look like you.

You just said yourself "Academics is what gets most kids moving here no matter their color." That's also the case in Deer Park so thank you for making my point for me. We're on a football website talking about programs winning and losing football games, unfortunately Crosby, North Shore and Atascosita don't get academic transfers unless they're moving from the inner city usually. They do win football games though.

You started this whole deal. I just stated facts.

BHISD tax rate 1.3298

Crosby ISD tax rate 1.670000

Umm, I think Crosby is higher on taxes, but my Beaumont math may be off. The academics is what makes outsiders leave because they can't hack the regimen put on them is what I was saying. You said high taxes, not high priced homes. There's a difference. I explained that BH is diverse, just not in YOUR eye's. We welcome everyone with open arms. The student your talking about mom works in the district. I bet she's not complaining cashing those checks. I'm sure if you asked 90% of HS kids that move before or after entering high school, they are going to say that they would rather be at thier old school due to friends, etc. I got the demographics from our district website and Crosby off of the internet, so it might be skewed. Heck, Beaumont schools are more diverse then your so called inner city Crosby. Back to football, BH will compete, and you can mark that down. BTW, seen ya'lls football stadium the other day and it's probably one of the nicest stadiums in the Houston area.

2 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

I know y'all don't like my flavor, diversity spill. That's my opinion and my style. I want a black RB, I want 2 Black WR's. I want a white TE. I want a white QB. I want studs on the line, no matter what color.

I was accused of being racist or some garbage on another thread because I shared "my style" of what a winning program looks like.

We all are different. Mine just so happens to sync with some of the greatest HS football coaches you'll ever have a chance to meet or talk to. And that's not to say that its the right way or the only way. That's the beauty of it, there's many ways to get there.

So if you coached a team, you are going to line the kids up, assign them to a position and not even look at film or athletic ability.  Just their skin color or stature.  That's why your on a public forum like me and not coaching

2 hours ago, CCRed said:

So if you coached a team, you are going to line the kids up, assign them to a position and not even look at film or athletic ability.  Just their skin color or stature.  That's why your on a public forum like me and not coaching

You have completely misunderstood my statements.

4 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

You started this whole deal. I just stated facts.

BHISD tax rate 1.3298

Crosby ISD tax rate 1.670000

Umm, I think Crosby is higher on taxes, but my Beaumont math may be off. The academics is what makes outsiders leave because they can't hack the regimen put on them is what I was saying. You said high taxes, not high priced homes. There's a difference. I explained that BH is diverse, just not in YOUR eye's. We welcome everyone with open arms. The student your talking about mom works in the district. I bet she's not complaining cashing those checks. I'm sure if you asked 90% of HS kids that move before or after entering high school, they are going to say that they would rather be at thier old school due to friends, etc. I got the demographics from our district website and Crosby off of the internet, so it might be skewed. Heck, Beaumont schools are more diverse then your so called inner city Crosby. Back to football, BH will compete, and you can mark that down. BTW, seen ya'lls football stadium the other day and it's probably one of the nicest stadiums in the Houston area.

I probably stated it the wrong way calling it property tax trying to post before a meeting. My co-worker just bought a house in BH for $260k a couple of years ago, he had the same price house in Baytown but pays about $600 per month in BH. My buddy has a son the same age as mine and express how BH is becoming more diverse all the time. I could care less how diverse BH is or gets, in relation to Moss' comment I just said don't necessarily expect the percentages in athletic diversity to change just because growth and gave DP as a example. You're talking like I'm hating on BH or have a problem with it, BH has had a hard time on the field with the better teams athletically and people were discussing it from two different view points. Crosby is far from an inner city school although you probably couldn't tell at rush hour, we have regular suburban demographics for Texas. As far as BH competing, we get y'all right out of the box to start district play for the 5th straight year so we'll find out early. Appreciate that about the stadium, we finally have an administration that supports Crosby winning. 

BH politics???  No way get out of here with that.  But I would assume its that way every where.

I played for BH and we had from my freshman to senior year 6-7 non white kids on the team. Has that changed any? Not at any of the games I have been to in the past years other then the post Hurricane years. You dont have to have major diversity to win games. I could be wrong but watching Katy they don't have a ton of diversity on the field. Sure seen a few other teams that went deep into the playoffs that didnt have much diversity either.  Great coaching can go along way.

When I say BH will compete, I'm not saying we will win a DC, but we will compete for a playoff berth. My goodness, we are good with competing for a playoff spot, we'll let ya'll beat your chest on DC. That's why we play the games, anything can happen and you can break it down for yourself, we'll just try hard and see where we land at the end of the season. Good luck to all in the off season (that's where it starts).

5 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

When I say BH will compete, I'm not saying we will win a DC, but we will compete for a playoff berth. My goodness, we are good with competing for a playoff spot, we'll let ya'll beat your chest on DC. That's why we play the games, anything can happen and you can break it down for yourself, we'll just try hard and see where we land at the end of the season. Good luck to all in the off season (that's where it starts).

Two points:

1. I agree with you. BH will make the playoffs. But with CE King moving up I thought BH would make the playoffs in 16 even if Gage remained.

2. BH made great  HC and DC hires. They will be well coached and in the right position to make plays when Code Red runs right by them. 

13 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

Two points:

1. I agree with you. BH will make the playoffs. But with CE King moving up I thought BH would make the playoffs in 16 even if Gage remained.

2. BH made great  HC and DC hires. They will be well coached and in the right position to make plays when Code Red runs right by them. 

If I do recall BH played a dang good 1st half against code red this year. They were with in striking distance at half time. But Code Red had coaching adjustments made during half time. BH didnt and their lack of horses got run out the stadium.  I do believe they will have to coaches to make those adjustments and keep it closer but will still lack the horses to run the whole game with Code Red.

14 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

Two points:

After all of that state championship talk last year, you would think that Code Red would have learned about counting your chickens before the eggs hatch. Apparently not.

6 minutes ago, Scatright said:

After all of that state championship talk last year, you would think that Code Red would have learned about counting your chickens before the eggs hatch. Apparently not.

I find it very amusing that some slam us for having State Championship aspirations. 

Perhaps we should set our goals at 6-4 and making the playoffs then beat our chest when we accomplish it. 

Wait. You've already got that covered. 

17 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

I find it very amusing that some slam us for having State Championship aspirations. 

Perhaps we should set our goals at 6-4 and making the playoffs then beat our chest when we accomplish it. 

I would hope that most teams have the aspiration of winning a state title.  I think he's referring to the fact that you guys were so confident that it was sewed up last year.

1 hour ago, Red Dawn said:

I find it very amusing that some slam us for having State Championship aspirations

You guys didn't merely portray aspirations, CC was talking about playing the game "at home" (NRG), and counting trophies before you won the first game last year.

55 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I would hope that most teams have the aspiration of winning a state title.  I think he's referring to the fact that you guys were so confident that it was sewed up last year.

Yes, this was my reference.

1 hour ago, Red Dawn said:

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

13 minutes ago, Scatright said:

You guys didn't merely portray aspirations, CC was talking about playing the game "at home" (NRG), and counting trophies before you won the first game last year.

Yes, this was my reference.

I agree. Some portrayed way too much confidence. No matter how good you are, winning a Texas High School Football Championship is extremely difficult. 

But don't take one persons comments as everyone's. 

I do think Crosby was one of the few teams in the area with a legitimate shot at winning it all. I still think we had a good enough team last year to have had a shot at it.  We went 11-1.  not bad but we never peaked last year.  We played poor against a good ridge point team and they flat out deserved to beat us.

I for one knew a state championship was far from certain  but yes I thought we had a team that had the possibility.

I think that's a good thing  

i think we actually have a shot at making a deep run again this year if some young players mature.  But I also believe we could have an early exit if we don't take care of business. 

I hear what your saying about counting chickens before they hatch. Totally agree with you. But I am not apologetic that our program's goal is a state championship rather than just making the playoffs.

I'd rather our boys fall short of that goal than achieve a much less significant one