Navasota board surprisingly opts not to extend Fedora's contract

Pepper Brooks

13 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

I would love to see the professions of all you people who are running the school board down. Probably get a lot of truth stretching. There are other reasons for not renewing contracts. Probably things you are not aware of. Don't forget, the people elected these board members. I think you need to shift the blame on the people in that school  district. How many of these responders fall into the that category? One thing I have learned in law enforcement is that there are two sides to every story.

First of all..it's not "all you people".  It's me.  I'm running the school board down...and I'm running the school board of most small schools down.  Not all...most.

And don't worry about my profession.  I'm in a profession that's in high demand that I've made a career out of.  In fact...am at the end of it.  I'm not saying my profession is better or worse than any...just saying those professions don't make you qualified to be a board member of a school.  Same reason I won't apply at a hospital to be a doctor..I'm not qualified to be in that position.

And trust me I know there are 2 sides...I'm waiting to hear the other one.  Does he cuss excessively...not go to sub varsity games...not support other sports...any explanation would suffice.  I'm just waiting to hear one.  Maybe I'm jumping to a conclusion...but I've seen it play out just like this several times before.  The fact is that several school board members across this state make decisions based on personal agenda.  Did these?  I don't know.  But I haven't seen a good reason for this decision yet..

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, WTB said:

How do you know? Also Navasota has never had a run like this before. Once you get into the playoffs a few rounds everyone has athletes.

There aren't many schools who have made a run like Navasota is seeing. Over the past 10 seasons, Navasota has loss twice to Carthage in the 2nd round. In those other 8 years, we loss in the quarterfinals or won the state championship.

Navasota has always had the athletes. We never had consistency until Fedora came to town. Of course, playing in 4A at the time didn't help. We would always run into an East Texas team, Carthage or Kilgore mainly.  In 1996, we loss to La Marque who eventually won state 36-19. We ended the year 12-1.

2 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

A bunch of Hog-Wash bashing for nothing. Now, what do you think about your school board..

No it wasn't.  I still want to know why the decision was tabled to another meeting...Especially if the decision was 7-0.  It was stupid that it even escalated or was allowed to escalate to the point it went to.  7-0?!  Just renew the contract the first time it's brought to the floor!

On 2/17/2016 at 1:36 PM, Rattler99 said:

From what I've read on facebook, posted by a board member, they chose not to act on the motion considering Fedora still has one more year on his contract. Instead, they acted on more pressing issues and those whose contracts were ended this year.

There is no issue except the press misleading it's readers, myself included, stating, "Board No on Fedora Extension." The board has yet to vote on an extension for Fedora. This will probably happen at the next board meeting. And, from what I have gathered, Fedora will get an extension.

There is not a hidden agenda or any upset parents. The board members are upset as well. Something so innocent on their behalf has been blown out of proportion.

that is what I would say too.... if I wanted to save face....act on a pressing issues, hey guys should we extend the guys contract? no, we just extended five, and we do not want to overwork ourselves by saying ye, after others said ye.

Well, fortunately it was much ado about nothing.  However, the manner in which this school board went about this certainly opens it up to criticism.  While some may realize that the board "tabling" the contract extension is different from voting against an extension, many, including apparently Coach Fedora, Superintendent Gesch and Board member Hood (who made a motion to extend that failed to receive a second from any of the remaining five board members), saw the distinction as unrecognizable.  To blame the Bryan Eagle for this "confusion" looks to be just an attempt to deflect from a situation which, at the very least, was poorly handled.