High school ahtletes get schooled in hard truth of recruiting

Bigdog

I found this to be an interesting article about the ups and downs of recruiting.  With some valid points on both sides.  I do agree with the author that the colleges should be held to a higher standard even though the kids do the same things to the schools.  They are the adults and the professionals in the relationship.

This is the hidden content, please

52 minutes ago, PigSooooiiiieeee said:

A solution could be an early signing period for football as well as the other sports?

I believe, ( I could be wrong) that if a student graduates early he or she is able to sign earlier.  Not sure about that.  I don't think that would stop the schools from pulling a scholarship if they change their mind and decide to go another direction or  commit to more players than they have available scholarships. (which is done frequently).

1 hour ago, PigSooooiiiieeee said:

A solution could be an early signing period for football as well as the other sports?

Another solution could be to stick with your initial decision.  I wouldn't credit 18 year old kids for making the greatest choices ...but something like this I would think a kid would really look into it and think hard before committing to play for someone.  Just my opinion.  You don't have to say yes to the first offer you get.  I know it's exciting to feel wanted by a school...(I've been there)...but just be sure.  That would've fixed this.

4 hours ago, bigdog said:

I found this to be an interesting article about the ups and downs of recruiting.  With some valid points on both sides.  I do agree with the author that the colleges should be held to a higher standard even though the kids do the same things to the schools.  They are the adults and the professionals in the relationship.

This is the hidden content, please

ULL Head coach, Mark Hudspeth, is developing a reputation for doing this kind of stuff.  One year before it happened to Beverly from West Brook, a similar thing happened to a receiver who is now a freshman at a Big10 school.  The receiver was offered at the ULL summer camp.  His parents were not at the camp so he obviously needed to go home and discuss the decision with his family.  By the time he called Hudspeth to accept the offer and commit, he was told that the offer had been rescinded.  When the HS coach called ULL, he was told that the offer was only good while the athlete was at the camp.  He would have needed to accept and commit on the spot for the offer to still be honored.  Like I said, the kid ended up with a full ride to a Big10 school but the whole situation was still pretty upsetting and disgusting.  Coach Flanigan is justified in feeling the way he does.  But I hope he holds it more against the HC and not the university. 

33 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

There is a little more to this story from what I was told by someone inside the UL athletic department.  Flannigan is bashing UL, but it is also up to the individual players to hold up their end of the deal and stay in shape for when they get to college. 

That sounds like a load of crap to me.  But it sounds right on par with something coming from the Hudspeth-led camp.  By the way, ask your inside source if ULL having to reduce their scholarship #s because they got busted for NCAA violations has anything to do with people's offers being pulled.  You're right.  There is more than one side to every story.  Just make sure you know all the sides.

The NCAA specifically accuses former assistant football coach David Saunders of wrongdoing related to manipulation of ACT scores and cash payments to one recruit.  The matter is considered a “Severe Breach of Conduct (Level 1)” by the NCAA.

UL has acknowledged the ACT-related infractions for at least five of six student-athletes involved, but it refutes some of the language used by investigators and denies that any cash exchanged hands.

The Cajuns already have self-imposed various penalties, including vacating its entire 2011 season, which included nine wins and a New Orleans Bowl win over San Diego State.

Other self-imposed actions include but are not limited to:

• terminating Saunders;
  • a two-year probation period;
  • reducing initial football grants-in-aid (scholarships) by three in 2016-17 and three more in 2017-18;
  • reducing total grants-in-aid by five in 2015-16, by three in 2016-17 and by three in 2017-18;
  • reducing off-campus recruiting by 40 days in 2015-16 and ’16-17;
  • reducing official visits by recruits to 44 in 2014-15 and 38 in 2015-16; and
  • withholding unnamed players from competition.