All CFB Coaching News

Old Timer, I know what you were trying to say...couldn't resist the response based on the choice of the word "begging."  However, it IS apparent that gone are the days we could just go pay whoever was the "flavor of the week" defensive coordinator in the SEC.  At least under this regime apparently..

Speaking of hiring assistant coaches, it's a dang shame Texas has never gone out and hired Bradley Dale Peveto as an assistant.  He recently ranked 3rd among college assistants in recruiting. 

This is the hidden content, please

im disappointed, i thought for sure I'd be on this list. 

Dude, I know this is all sooo hilarious for you but you have no clue as to the specifics of what happened earlier today anymore than Rumlin remembers how many ounces are poured in a vodka tonic. Stop acting like you have some kind of insider info.

Sorry man but the "inside" information was from a post by Buddy - just using the information provided by him.

And TXHoops - I understand employment negotiation likely much more than anyone on this site - but when you say No to the first and what should be the primary negotiator and you then send in the big guns after he had been basically turned down then something did not go as planned - is begging the right word likely not but  the next best word that come to mind is desperation so take you choice.  If they offered 1/2 of what they offered another applicant and did not know that he might be offended  then that also shows a lack of knowledge of the process as well.

Again bringing Aggie into a Texas conversation if this had happened to Sumlin this site would be busting with posts about how the A&M program is falling apart - just a point of perspective I guess.

Edited by OldTimer

They offered half of what they offered Cumbie.  He was offended.  They upped to offer to $900k.  He is supposedly going to accept now.  Not sure begging is the right term.  In my world, we call that negotiations.  Begging is generally not the most effective tactics in such matters.  Unless more money = begging.  Then begging is exceedingly effective.  Hope that helps...

Why does it all have to be public?  There is no way you let Cumbie's offer amount go public.  That only hurts you in the future.  

Is Charlie or someone on staff leaking the info or is Chimp pulling numbers out of thin air to sell subscriptions?

Why does it all have to be public?  There is no way you let Cumbie's offer amount go public.  That only hurts you in the future.  

Is Charlie or someone on staff leaking the info or is Chimp pulling numbers out of thin air to sel

Signed for $850k. I get the feeling it was not about the money.  It seems to have been about the assurance that Strong would finish the year next year. Hence the flight to Tulsa with the Prez and AD.

Sorry man but the "inside" information was from a post by Buddy - just using the information provided by him.

And TXHoops - I understand employment negotiation likely much more than anyone on this site - but when you say No to the first and what should be the primary negotiator and you then send in the big guns after he had been basically turned down then something did not go as planned - is begging the right word likely not but  the next best word that come to mind is desperation so take you choice.  If they offered 1/2 of what they offered another applicant and did not know that he might be offended  then that also shows a lack of knowledge of the process as well.

Again bringing Aggie into a Texas conversation if this had happened to Sumlin this site would be busting with posts about how the A&M program is falling apart - just a point of perspective I guess.

so is this Aggie perspective or sand Aggie perspective????

Ummm... What is this??

Hook'em ‏@thelonghorns12 17m17 minutes ago
According to Aggie "insiders" on their boards Sumlin is actively looking around at other jobs.

a dumb rumor going around right now. there's also a rumor he will be the next Browns HC. 

I took that as Briles telling him to do one thing, and Gilbert doing exactly the opposite. As in, don't sign with those hacks, that's suicide. Then Gilbert doing it anyways. But hey, at least he's not accused of rape, so we're ahead of the game, right?

Briles talked him into taking the job. 

@mikefinger: Do Texas fans feel better hearing Art Briles urged Gilbert to join the Longhorns? Or worse?

Could that be like Sumlin encouraging Spavatal to take the WVU job?

Would love it just for the aggy tears, they're known to cure gypsy curses.

While not as anit-Sumlin as some - would not cry to see him replaced at all as I do think he has underperformed on the field - just might be concerned on the recruiting front as you can bad mouth Sumlin all you want but he has brought some good talent into the fold at A&M - just think that with that talent there should not have been as many team collapses as A&M has had.

But waiting this long - all the good applicants may well be gone - damn :)

Briles talked him into taking the job. 

Link or sources?

I find it hard to believe that Briles wants one of his protégés at a conference rival, giving his offensive secrets away to one of the best defensive minds in the college game.  Charlie has his downfalls alright, but there is no denying he know how to scheme Baylor already.  We fought them hard last year, and beat them this year.  If I were Art, I would be begging him to stay away.

Could that be like Sumlin encouraging Spavatal to take the WVU job?

While not as anit-Sumlin as some - would not cry to see him replaced at all as I do think he has underperformed on the field - just might be concerned on the recruiting front as you can bad mouth Sumlin all you want but he has brought some good talent into the fold at A&M - just think that with that talent there should not have been as many team collapses as A&M has had.

But waiting this long - all the good applicants may well be gone - damn :)

Maybe you can find one of these new shirts to make the transition a little more palatable?

aggy_loftintshirt.jpg

Link or sources?

I find it hard to believe that Briles wants one of his protégés at a conference rival, giving his offensive secrets away to one of the best defensive minds in the college game.  Charlie has his downfalls alright, but there is no denying he know how to scheme Baylor already.  We fought them hard last year, and beat them this year.  If I were Art, I would be begging him to stay away.

@OurDailyBears: So that rumor about Art Briles badmouthing Texas to Sterlin Gilbert was complete nonsense.