A disturbing trend on the board that I hope doesn't continue this weekend

WOSgrad

Oh, you would be surprised. Yes, all coaches want to win. But, most coaches want to win their way. I have seen way too many coaches lose because they are too bull headed to change or evolve or even consider that another offense or defense might be better suited to the kids they have.

Hey now this happens more than one may think.

Thank you WOS.     My two cents,  living with a coach... Does me no good to second guess him,   Lol.    And in this day and age of Internet, social media etc.  You should not be waiting on a coach to give you a letter from a school.   If you want to play college ball, contact the school you are interested in.  Send film, send letters yourself.  Go,for a unofficial visit, go to camps.  If a school has not found you on social media, command met you themselves.  You need to put in some work contacting them,  Don't wait on them.  There are other schools besides a D1 out there.  D2, D3,  Juco, NAIA.    

I really hope everyone who has a child who plays sports lIsten to this. Very true statement.

That's hilarious PIg you're right but If you desire to be a H.S. coach enhance lives, never dIstroy dreams or futures. I myself traIn and develop youth and choose not to grInd out a H.S. coaches weekly rituals. Call me an armchair QB or sideline critic but criticism Is part of the game and I say to those wIth that coveted degree who chose coaching, If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. All Lives Matter!

i never said a coach isnt subject to criticism, just that people outside shouldnt tell them how to do their jobs; coaches dont tell the rest of the working world how to do their job

Pig just because someone has a job doesn't mean they know how to do it well. Now several people have asked me to go back to school and pick up the 30 hrs. i left towards my degree and maybe i will when my wife finishes with her second but my goal is not to coach H.S. or College ball. A bad car accident had me move back home during my last year of college but i'm perfectly fine with what i am doing now for the moment. I believe a coach has to answer to a parent who has concerns with there child playing on their team. Now you can't tell them where to play them but only suggest and i do believe that patience is very important but if a coach has a history of doing certain things that you are totally against then speak on it and if no resolve move around. Too many times we see coaches come in from nowhere not knowing his kids or their abilities and use them in a lesser fashion. 

Last but not least, I will never dummy down to make someone look good or feel better. I don't care that the coaches read the site, as a matter of fact i hope they do so they can know that people do see when they make bad or careless decisions. If you take it out on a parents child then you should not be coaching anyway, besides the people i talk about know how I feel because i've told them and say it all the time. They can't and won't pay for any of these kids college education and the kids are just there to hopefully enhance their resume'. If a teacher doesn't teach properly she will be removed or fired and coaches are not exempt. I happen to believe the majority of them are their for the kids and the love of the game and some are their for that all-mighty paycheck! Hopefully i answered you or addressed your statement Sir! Never throw a rock and hide your hands is my motto and most people know who i am so you must know i really don't care and its definitely better to rant on here than act a darn fool in public! Lol

Edited by JRidge

Most people see this game and team from their kids perspective not the team. I feel this is a problem because all the kids read this. The coaches read it and don't care what everyone thinks. It's when the kids read it and know their parents and friends parents screen names. Chances are that the parent has bashed the coach at home way more than on the board. This causes the kid to not trust the coach. When this happens, the kids won't play hard for someone they don't trust. I'm not saying agree with every decision the coach makes, but use it as a tool to help your child. This old world is a cruel hard place to survive. If they get screwed over or lose a game because of the coach, there is a huge life lesson to learn in this. It is up to the parent to teach their kid that sometimes life isn't fair and yoi have to overcome that. It is easy to bash the coach or decision maker and call them stupid. What does that teach our kids. These coaches spend a lot of time preparing. The head coaches make pretty good money, but asst coaches don't. Parents need to be parents and raise their kids. I would hope that your child will grow up to be a better person when taught how to deal with adversity

Most people see this game and team from their kids perspective not the team. I feel this is a problem because all the kids read this. The coaches read it and don't care what everyone thinks. It's when the kids read it and know their parents and friends parents screen names. Chances are that the parent has bashed the coach at home way more than on the board. This causes the kid to not trust the coach. When this happens, the kids won't play hard for someone they don't trust. I'm not saying agree with every decision the coach makes, but use it as a tool to help your child. This old world is a cruel hard place to survive. If they get screwed over or lose a game because of the coach, there is a huge life lesson to learn in this. It is up to the parent to teach their kid that sometimes life isn't fair and yoi have to overcome that. It is easy to bash the coach or decision maker and call them stupid. What does that teach our kids. These coaches spend a lot of time preparing. The head coaches make pretty good money, but asst coaches don't. Parents need to be parents and raise their kids. I would hope that your child will grow up to be a better person when taught how to deal with adversity

Adversity is one thing and everyone will not be treated the same is the lesson to teach the kids but that still doesn't give the coaches a free pass. They bench players when they don't perform well and they get criticized and ridiculed when they don't perform well. Players get yelled at all the time and you have to have tough skin to be a coach because it is reciprocated. Try ordering a burger with no onions and see what you get? People have jobs all the time and aren't good at it and every coach is not a good coach no matter how we try to make believe. I can deal with a coach who enhances young men lives and fall short from time to time in the win loss column but arrogance, disrespectful, inconsiderate one's have no place in this profession, especially if they can't produce that All-Mighty "W"! Lol

Great thread Grad. I am guilty of questioning some calls. I believe we are all armchair QBs. I do not call for coach's heads, put signs in their yards, or make threatening phone calls. I dont think anyone else should either. 

I think the biggest problem is that we all take sports too seriously?

Jridge, I agree. With all the coaches, there are gonna be terrible ones. I know a bunch of them too. They should have thick skin and take criticism but they don't always do that. Coaches are just a representative slice of the overall population. Good, bad, fat, skinny, smart, stupid.  The list goes on. My deal will to try and have my kids adjust to deal with these kinds of people. Although I don't like it, it is life in the world. If you learn that earlier in life, you will end up better for it. And the coach is gonna have to answer if he wrongs a kid on purpose. May not answer in this world, but will answer nevertheless. If we can teach our kids to be successful in spite of the people around them, then they will be alright. 

Jridge, I agree. With all the coaches, there are gonna be terrible ones. I know a bunch of them too. They should have thick skin and take criticism but they don't always do that. Coaches are just a representative slice of the overall population. Good, bad, fat, skinny, smart, stupid.  The list goes on. My deal will to try and have my kids adjust to deal with these kinds of people. Although I don't like it, it is life in the world. If you learn that earlier in life, you will end up better for it. And the coach is gonna have to answer if he wrongs a kid on purpose. May not answer in this world, but will answer nevertheless. If we can teach our kids to be successful in spite of the people around them, then they will be alright. 

Agreed totally we just hate to watch this but like they say when you're given lemons, make lemonade! Lol