Matt Burnett retires from PN-GISD

Coach Burnett is a well respected part of the PNG community. Hence him staying on in another aspect,  after being replaced as HC and AD. Many thought it was time for a change and some new blood. It happens.  My husband played under him when he was just the DC. Said he was tough. His presence in the stadium on Friday nights, still makes my Husband sit up a little bit straighter.lol

​Come on, spill the goods!

Not in my nature.  What I will say is simply this.... I cannot see PN-G having another coach that cares about the tradition and character of a school like Matt. Some might jump up and say, well he wasn't winning enough games... Well in today's world that may be true.. But what he did do was win kids into becoming men... In today's society we get caught up to much in winning.. Matt cared about all aspects of the school.. More than just athletics. He wasn't the type of guy that wrote a book in the front of the football program of all his records and achievements. He wasn't the kind of guy that changed uniforms, helmets, etc. he was old school. He taught what he believed in and stuck with it year after year.  I remember in 96 after the Nederland game on a TV interview, he was asked what happened, you where down by 14 at the half and your kids came out in the second half and lit it up for the win.. His response was simple.... These kids come to work every day with their lunchbox and put in a full day's work... That reminds me of the slogan... keep it simple stupid....... And that's what he was all about.  Putting in your work, becoming better men, and at the end, becoming a better Indian. So to many of you that read this post, you might not understand, or even want to understand what I'm talking about. But for a lot of the faithful, you understand the meaning, and it's really simple. He characterized 3 important things that is required to be a Legend in my mind... #1... He carried himself and his staff with great honor.... #2 His actions gave the community great pride....  #3 And his teams held up the great tradition.... If you read my name on this board it reads.... Stattrax... Looking for the next great PN-G coach...... Well all I can say is in my eyes it will be hard to fill Matts shoes.......