Inadequate special education accusation against HJISD

AggiesAreWe

A Sour Lake woman said the district hasn't equipped her two dyslexic nephews enough so they can get to at least an average reading level. One of them, a 14-year-old, is still reading at a third grade level.

The other, a first grader, has had trouble reading his own birth date.

No, reason to blame the school for the lack of parental involvement.  

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

They'll also decide if the district needs to reimburse Kiesling for private services.  

Really your sisters kids cant read ,even with the help of private tutors, and she still wants to blame the school
-----------------
I know I am jerk but you can't make lemon-aid out of paint chips.  

A Sour Lake woman said the district hasn't equipped her two dyslexic nephews enough so they can get to at least an average reading level. One of them, a 14-year-old, is still reading at a third grade level.

The other, a first grader, has had trouble reading his own birth date.

No, reason to blame the school for the lack of parental involvement.  

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

They'll also decide if the district needs to reimburse Kiesling for private services.  

Really your sisters kids cant read ,even with the help of private tutors, and she still wants to blame the school
-----------------
I know I am jerk but you can't make lemon-aid out of paint chips.  

Ask someone in the know and you will be SHOCKED!!!!!!

ask H-F peeps, they can tell you why.  

​Teaching any child to learn is never a waste.

​Unrealistic expectations are a waste and that is the problem. One of the kids is 14, been in the school for 2 years max, and has only been living with the "Aunt" for that same amount of time. Yet the family is surprised the kid is reading at a 3rd grade reading level and is now  upset with HJISD because of this. The mental capabilities, emotional problems, moving around to different schools and the parental neglect factors lead me to be skeptical of the accusations and remind people of unrealistic expectations vs the cliche of "Teaching a child is never a waste." 

​Unrealistic expectations are a waste and that is the problem. One of the kids is 14, been in the school for 2 years max, and has only been living with the "Aunt" for that same amount of time. Yet the family is surprised the kid is reading at a 3rd grade reading level and is now  upset with HJISD because of this. The mental capabilities, emotional problems, moving around to different schools and the parental neglect factors lead me to be skeptical of the accusations and remind people of unrealistic expectations vs the cliche of "Teaching a child is never a waste." 

​Personally, I am too skeptical of this particular situation.

But,"cliche" or not, because my wife has taught for 25 years, with several of those years (currently too) in Special Ed and we are the parents of a special needs son (he is autistic), I will stand my ground on my statement. It's never a waste.

I work with Special Education also. Education is not a waste, but unrealistic expectations can be counter intuitive to the situation. Please do not read anything I said as a personal attack, for it is not my intention.   

Edited by jv_coach

It's a tough line to toe.  I have a special needs student in my class this year that has benefitted greatly from being in a regular classroom.  That being said, in some instances, the extra time and effort spent on that one child has taken away what I can do with my other 16 students.  It's a tough balancing act.  

Kids learn on various levels. Some need more personal attention more than others. Some learn at their own pace. Public schools don't have the patience to teach on a personal level. 

I wouldn't say they don't have the patience, I'd say they don't have the resources.

​Well, I've seen impatient ...hmmm (?) non-caring (?) teachers in regular classroomnow I

Without a doubt there are bad teachers out there.   There are also many more who have a hard time showing the patience needed for one special needs kid because they have 22 more non-special needs kids going crazy while they try to address the special needs of one kid.