Vince Vaughn wants all American schools protected with firearms

LumRaiderFan

agree.  it's not practical or affordable for every school to have a fulltime police officer, but it's not impractical to think that every school has at least a teacher or two that is capable of handling a firearm.  on top of that, many teachers would be willing to run towards danger to protect their students.  I emailed our (ex) superintendent a couple of years ago after Sandy Hook asking about the possibility of our district sending a teacher or two from every campus to training to become qualified to carry on campus, but I was politely shot down.

agree.  it's not practical or affordable for every school to have a fulltime police officer, but it's not impractical to think that every school has at least a teacher or two that is capable of handling a firearm.  on top of that, many teachers would be willing to run towards danger to protect their students.  I emailed our (ex) superintendent a couple of years ago after Sandy Hook asking about the possibility of our district sending a teacher or two from every campus to training to become qualified to carry on campus, but I was politely shot down.

​Agree 100%

Were you given any specific reason when turned down?

John Kennedy once said: "...when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed."  If a thug is not sure a school is armed, by teachers or whoever, then this might be a deterrent to them doing something stupid.  But -- if the thugs are fairly confident that a school is not armed at all, well, where is the deterrent?  Is it 100% foolproof?  No.  But -- if guns in the schools saves one child -- then it's worth it!

Not really.  He just kind of blew me off.  A lot of folks aren't entirely comfortable with the idea of guns in a school, and I can see that side of the argument as well.

​Bottom line is that if you have one (or preferably more) competent and trained teachers, administrators and/or on campus security carrying firearms, the kids are safer, period.

Plus, there is an immediate response when a threat shows up.  I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just don't see the down side.

Edited by LumRaiderFan

​Bottom line is that if you have one (or preferably more) competent and trained teachers, administrators and/or on campus security carrying firearms, the kids are safer, period.

Plus, there is an immediate response when a threat shows up.  I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just don't see the down side.

i'll say this: if you were to arm 2 teachers at every school in the US, it would amount to well over 200,000 armed teachers.  with that many teachers, you'd have a handful of incidents a year that could possibly put kids in danger.  perhaps a careless teacher leaves a gun out on her desk and a child gets ahold of it, or one goes off while she's digging around in her drawer.  perhaps a teacher with a gun overreacts to some sort of fight or intruder at school and shoots someone she maybe shouldn't shoot.  those instances would start to happen (albeit not very often), and we would hear about them in the media.  never mind if arming teachers all but ends the era of mass school shootings, you better believe that the media would seize onto any mistake that a teacher made.  and that being said, the rare instance where a teacher in that situation did make a mistake would be a big deal, and is not an unreasonable argument against having them in school.  still, I'd feel better if a teacher or two at my (hypothetical) child's school was armed (after sufficient training).

Edited by bullets13

Armed defense is feasible. Pistol safes with print recognition would work.

i think more energy needs to be focused on the mental condition of the students. Most of these kids that committed these crimes fit certain profiles. Now I'm going to hear about profiling but I don't care. The Newtown massacre....the kid had mental issues that his mom knew about. We would be surprised as to how many kids probably knew he was a weirdo. Of course you always seem to have the ones that surprise everyone that they could do something like this. That's a tough one.

perhaps a careless teacher leaves a gun out on her desk and a child gets ahold of it, or one goes off while she's digging around in her drawer.  perhaps a teacher with a gun overreacts to some sort of fight or intruder at school and shoots someone she maybe shouldn't shoot.  

​perhaps marvin the martian will land and take over Pt. Arthur........

​perhaps marvin the martian will land and take over Pt. Arthur........

​Really?  People are careless with guns sometimes.  It's a matter of numbers, and if you arm that many people, someone is going to end up doing something stupid or careless.  Cops have far more extensive training, and they still occasionally screw up and shoot the wrong people or have mishaps with their guns.  Awhile back a woman was killed when she came up and hugged a cop from behind and somehow pulled the trigger on the gun he had in a shoulder rig.  If you have enough guns involved, these things will happen.  I'm all for arming teachers, as I've stated several times, but if you were to arm them, it's not a matter of IF one of these incidents happens, but When.  Personally, I'm fine with the trade off.  But you know the media will have a field day every time it happens.

Edited by bullets13

​No, it would be very helpful when applied correctly.

The TSA should be more concerned with middle eastern men than grandmothers.

If that's profiling...oh, well.

​thats a huge issue in bold. 

@nbcchicago: #CVS supervisors ordered racial profiling of black, Latino shoppers: Suit

This is the hidden content, please