Money Talks

Case in point of why Southeast Texas struggles so mightily. Wonder what the median income of Newton, Port Arthur, and Beaumont are? We already know, according to Forbes, that Beaumont is the most uneducated city in the nation. I've been trying to make my point on here of why the teams with superior facilities are dominant, and now there's solid proof. I rest my case. Thanks for sharing that Mr Garrity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these schools that are winning the titles have nearly twice the enrollment of our SETX schools? Not to mention they are suburbs of larger cities within driving distance which can provide numerous transfers. Our closest comparable city is Houston which happens to be nearly 100 miles from here. If you throw in the Beaumont transfer Rule, that hinders Beaumont even more, not to mention 5 HS's.
I'm sure our other SETX schools face the same challenges; numbers. Better facilities don't produce better athletes, nor does $$ but I agree that a Better Coach makes the difference. The key is those kids are buying into the system implemented & there is an abundance of kids.
SETX has some of the Best Athletes in the State, our 11 aren't any different talent wise from the $$ bigger schools. Depth is our problem, some of the bigger schools 2nd unit are as good as our 1st.
After a qtr or two we are gassed. JMO

It is a tough situation. Growing up in Huffman we always knew that the closer you get to Beaumont the more depressing life would become. I have been fortunate to live in most parts of the state and I am now certain that the stereo typing of Beaumont and surrounding areas as being the armpit of Texas are accurate. I recommend that everyone move away immediately.

It is a tough situation. Growing up in Huffman we always knew that the closer you get to Beaumont the more depressing life would become. I have been fortunate to live in most parts of the state and I am now certain that the stereo typing of Beaumont and surrounding areas as being the armpit of Texas are accurate. I recommend that everyone move away immediately.

Same here, thats why I have what I have under my location. I was talking to an advisor about moving again just this past afternoon. 

I've been saying the exact same thing for several years and people in SETX always try to point to WOS and Newton and say, "Why do these schools win if they aren't rich?" The short answer which people may not like to hear is because it's easier to win at the lower levels if you can find a dominant player or two. Kevin Shorter and DT make a lot more difference in their classifications than an Austin Walter or Corey Dauphine did in theirs. When a bunch of kids play both ways the team with the better athletes wins the vast majority of the time, at the higher classifications coaching plays into it a lot more. The more money you have the easier it is to attract a better coach which leads to a better program. All of that leads to being able to buy better"stuff", better assistants, more participation and ultimately more wins. The old conservative attitude in SETX kills their programs more than anything IMO though.

WOS DID ALSO
(rode Yellow dogs to Arlington)

Waskom and Gilmer rode charters up the day before the game. Think that may have had something to do with them winning?? Can't imagine riding a dang yellow dog for 5 hours the day of the game. Jeez come on...those Newton and WOS kids deserved better! Give them a chance to be successful.

I've been saying the exact same thing for several years and people in SETX always try to point to WOS and Newton and say, "Why do these schools win if they aren't rich?" The short answer which people may not like to hear is because it's easier to win at the lower levels if you can find a dominant player or two. Kevin Shorter and DT make a lot more difference in their classifications than an Austin Walter or Corey Dauphine did in theirs. When a bunch of kids play both ways the team with the better athletes wins the vast majority of the time, at the higher classifications coaching plays into it a lot more. The more money you have the easier it is to attract a better coach which leads to a better program. All of that leads to being able to buy better"stuff", better assistants, more participation and ultimately more wins. The old conservative attitude in SETX kills their programs more than anything IMO though.

+1,000

Beaumont, TX...the most uneducated city in America. Need say more??

Waskom and Gilmer rode charters up the day before the game. Think that may have had something to do with them winning?? Can't imagine riding a dang yellow dog for 5 hours the day of the game. Jeez come on...those Newton and WOS kids deserved better! Give them a chance to be successful.

WOS did ride yellow dogs BUT they did go up the day before and spent the night.

They wouldn't see a state title if every high school in the golden triangle combined. I mean crap look at Beaumont ISD...they just trying to figure out how to make payroll. I will say there is a ton of talent there, but there is also lots of talent in Dallas and Houston ISD as well. No school from either one of those places is winning a state title in football.

They wouldn't see a state title if every high school in the golden triangle combined. I mean crap look at Beaumont ISD...they just trying to figure out how to make payroll. I will say there is a ton of talent there, but there is also lots of talent in Dallas and Houston ISD as well. No school from either one of those places is winning a state title in football.

And alot of folks from those two ISDs (Houston and Dallas) are moving to the burbs. 

The article is flawed. The income levels are for this year and not representative of the year each team won state. Also tax rate and businesses help to make a district rich such as Carthage. I would think that schools with refineries would have more money and better facilities.

I'm not saying it doesn't help for coaching staffs and such but money is not the only thing. The richest school in texas has never won state in anything or even been good at anything.