Am I missing something

Just a national signing day vent. I've lived in Kirbyville all my life and have seen numerous athletes come though our program that can play at the next level. Yet every year we have no one sign on the dotted line come February. It's not just football it's all the sports up here in the woods. It just amazes me the talent level we have that seems to get over looked every year. I'm not talking about just Division 1 I'm talking every level. These kids can play somewhere for someone on the next level I think it's time we start doing something about it. Hell you damn near need and agent to get the word out about you up here. It's really frustrating to me to watch kids with this much talent never get an opportunity to play at the next level. So kids I'm telling you if you want some recognition and looks at the next level your going to have to do it yourself

Just a national signing day vent. I've lived in Kirbyville all my life and have seen numerous athletes come though our program that can play at the next level. Yet every year we have no one sign on the dotted line come February. It's not just football it's all the sports up here in the woods. It just amazes me the talent level we have that seems to get over looked every year. I'm not talking about just Division 1 I'm talking every level. These kids can play somewhere for someone on the next level I think it's time we start doing something about it. Hell you damn near need and agent to get the word out about you up here. It's really frustrating to me to watch kids with this much talent never get an opportunity to play at the next level. So kids I'm telling you if you want some recognition and looks at the next level your going to have to do it yourself

Maybe the kids aren't as good, big, smart as they need to be...or as you think they are. Just saying.

Most colleges arent in the business of missing potential players.

Being from a small school you have to self promote yourself and talk to coaches ,get a recruiting service . It's easier for a coach to go to Central where there is 12 kids signing then go to Buna who has 1 signing. They go where they can get the most bang for their buck. Just like in basketball if you want a scholarship you better be in Vegas during the summer. Coaches can go to Vegas and see 15000 kids.

Are you insinuating that the coaching staff in Kirbyville does not want or try to help kids go play at the next level?  

Couple of things here...

Did the kids fill out the NCAA eligibility center form?

If not, a college cannot recruit you.

Do they have a qualifying SAT or ACT score, if not they cannot bring you in for an official visit.

Without those two things, (which is the responsibility of the students and parents) a coach can't do much to help the student in recruiting.

Was there a highlight video made.  with HUDL, hundreds of video can be sent out in a matter of minutes.

I am gonna chime in here for what its worth. My boys go to Orangefieldl. We love our coach,but we found out early on that it is not the coaches job to get your kid recruited. It is up to the parents and kids. My oldest is a senior who was a two way starter since his sophomore year. He was a first team all distric o lineman and second team all district d lineman his junior year. This year he was a first team d line selection. He is also a powerlifter who went to state last year and is right now ranked #1 in the state for his wieght division. Unfortunately he is only 5'10 and 240 lbs. The only reason he is getting a chance to play at the next level is because he has a 3.6 gpa. He has several DIII offers and a bunch of NAIA schools. These came from belonging to recruiting web sites and going to camps and combines.

The kids have to take care of business on and off the field. If they are doing this, then it does seem a bit strange that no K-ville player got picked up. While it's certainly not entirely up to the coach, they can make a significant contribution in helping a player get recruited. A recruiter sat in my living room and told me that Coach Fortune, former Hardin AD, is relentless in getting his players the recognition he feels they deserve.

Great topic, I have done a decent amount of research on this over the last few months, once my son decided that he wanted to try for college football. I'll happily share what I know and if you know more let me know 'cause this is way different from how my daughter was recruited in softball, so I have a bunch to learn.

You have to get your name out there. Recruiting sites like ESPN/247/ Rivals help but you normally only get on those after you are being recruited. Once there you will get way more looks and may even get more offers but you have to do something to get on there in the first place.

There is another layer which does more scouting and promotion, Next Level Athlete etc. that offer camp/combines to highlight athletes. Going to some of these and getting some good quality video may help you get to those top level sites. Most also offer a pay service for emailing out to college coaches and a internet site to host the highlight videos. Even if you do sign up for the mail out service you Still need to send your own emails. Get the word out as much as you can.

Make a few college camps if you can. I am talking about the half day junior/senior type not the week long all grade camps. They generally are 50 to 75 bucks and are mostly for recruiting. From the schedules I have seen they have a combine section and a live drill section to them. Go to one that is close to you first if you can, even if it is not a school on your sons list. Firstly for the experience, my son just did his first one (Next Level Athlete not college, those don't start till summer) and it took a little bit for him to get comfortable on the field. Secondly why wouldn't you? Any school talking good about your sons skill/size what ever is a good thing.

My son plays for a mid sized school, Huffman Hargrave and while I think our head coach does put in work getting our kids names out there we are still a 4a school it is still up to my son and I to put in our work. It is also important to get out there in these camps etc. and see what the competition is like. You will quickly see that it is about the work you put in and skill level, because at these top level events everyone is going to be big/fast/strong.