Tyler County

justafan_3

I hear wdv ISD will build new baseball and softball facilities and also resurface the football  field with a artificial surface. This could be the start of something great for the kids and their athletic dreams. Someone is taking the athletic program serious. I hope this is just the beginning of many great things to come. The kids will be excited. As a parent and someone who loves sports, I also say Thank you.

I hear wdv ISD will build new baseball and softball facilities and also resurface the football  field with a artificial surface. This could be the start of something great for the kids and their athletic dreams. Someone is taking the athletic program serious. I hope this is just the beginning of many great things to come. The kids will be excited. As a parent and someone who loves sports, I also say Thank you.

Why would they need to build new baseball and softball facilities?  If I am correct, they have some of the best facilities for those two sports around the area.  I would agree that laying turf down for the football field would be an upgrade, just not sure what you would want for baseball and softball that would need upgrade.

Possibly to get on campus facilities...I do agree they are better than many larger classification schools but I always wondered what kind of liability it was on the school when we had to drive out to the ballpark for our athletic period during baseball season since class was technically still in session

Why would they need to build new baseball and softball facilities?  If I am correct, they have some of the best facilities for those two sports around the area.  I would agree that laying turf down for the football field would be an upgrade, just not sure what you would want for baseball and softball that would need upgrade.

same reason jasper is building new fields. the fields they play on are city parks and you have to drive across town from the school to get to them.

problem

no.1 - lack of coaching/ a coach must develop these kids and that starts with the little kids. If you will watch, you will see that teams that have good varsity programs usually have good programs from the 7th grade up.

no.2 - lack of desire by the players to develop themselves which some coaches can instill in the players and some cannot. Example; Alverez came to Kirbyville which had been down for several years and took them to state and turned their program into a champion caliber program, He recently took Ennis to the state championship. The kids cannot be satisfied with second best. Coaches must be able to get the kids to buy into his program. 

no.3 - You must have a good weight lifting program. Winning programs have good weight programs. If you don't have these kids on a weight lifting program (even in the summer) then you are falling behind the teams that have a good program.

no.4 - discipline. If a player don't follow the coach's program then he needs to know that he is off the team.

no. 5 - School board must be willing to make coaching changes when necessary, not wait 10 years to change a failing program.

EXAMPLE - Woodville has a good baseball program year after year, this is because of a good program developing the kids when they are young alone with good coaching.

problem

no.1 - lack of coaching/ a coach must develop these kids and that starts with the little kids. If you will watch, you will see that teams that have good varsity programs usually have good programs from the 7th grade up.

no.2 - lack of desire by the players to develop themselves which some coaches can instill in the players and some cannot. Example; Alverez came to Kirbyville which had been down for several years and took them to state and turned their program into a champion caliber program, He recently took Ennis to the state championship. The kids cannot be satisfied with second best. Coaches must be able to get the kids to buy into his program. 

no.3 - You must have a good weight lifting program. Winning programs have good weight programs. If you don't have these kids on a weight lifting program (even in the summer) then you are falling behind the teams that have a good program.

no.4 - discipline. If a player don't follow the coach's program then he needs to know that he is off the team.

no. 5 - School board must be willing to make coaching changes when necessary, not wait 10 years to change a failing program.

EXAMPLE - Woodville has a good baseball program year after year, this is because of a good program developing the kids when they are young alone with good coaching.

Thank You Purpleeagle. A drunk is the last person in the world to know he is a alcoholic. Maybe some eyes are open now.

problem

EXAMPLE - Woodville has a good baseball program year after year, this is because of a good program developing the kids when they are young alone with good coaching.

So this is the reason you believe they're building new fields?
And, in reference to number 5, when was the last time we had a football coach for 10 years? The board just made a change last year. Which we are hoping takes care of 4, 3, 2, and 1. But it won't change over night. It's a process. When it comes to people who are close to the district, they need to be PATIENT with new coaches. Yes, we have the talent to be able to go out and compete every single game. But it will take getting the right coaches in there and giving them TIME to develop talent. Woodville has more talent coming up in their 7th and 8th grade classes than they've seen in a long time. This is the perfect opportunity for Waldie to prove he's the man for the job. And the community needs to give him that support and that chance if they want any chance at being successful in the near future.

We have heard that before. Changing coaches is one thing, changing to the right coach is another thing. Obviously, what you have been doing has not been working. Just keep doing the same thing and save your post and in a couple of years you can use the same post again. If I remember right Hardin and Hemphill built  new fields. That is not the answer. 

We have heard that before. Changing coaches is one thing, changing to the right coach is another thing. Obviously, what you have been doing has not been working. Just keep doing the same thing and save your post and in a couple of years you can use the same post again. If I remember right Hardin and Hemphill built new fields. That is not the answer.

What are you talking about? The entirety of my last post had nothing to do with building new fields. I'm not saying we're building new fields thinking it will make our football team win. If I'm guessing, then we are building new fields because we are tired of having to drive five miles to practice baseball and softball every single day. And putting artificial turf just makes more sense financially, on top of looking much better.
But it always seems like it's the same people in town complaining every time we have a "under par season". Which, in all reality, was not a sub-par season. We were predicted by many to finish last in the district and went into the last week with a chance (albeit small) to make the playoffs. If that doesn't scream improvement, then I don't know what does.

No disrespect to the Woodville Eagles, but longball24 said it right. If you don't have a coach that  can come in and get the kids to buy into that commitment (like Alverez did at Kirbyville),then you will never change. Alverez is just one example of a coach who changed a program around. The reason good teams keep wining is that the kids buy into the program every year.

• 3 months later...

Maybe the first round but no chance after that. Chester's district and district 15 were and are probably the two worst in six man.

I have to go out on a limb here and say that we should get past the first round this coming year.  I followed every game this past year and the returning seniors and juniors will be a force to be reckoned with on the six man field.  They got a taste of the playoffs and that experience along with the games they gave away last year weigh on their mind every day.  They learned, they matured and the upper classmen will be sensational leaders and go-getters this year.  We have talent, speed, quick-thinkers, hard-hitters and tons of heart.  They are ready for this season and are already mapping out their personal workouts over the coming weeks.  Will we win state?  Maybe not.  Will we try?  Of course we will.  But are we the worst district in 6man?  Absolutely not.  The kids themselves have high expectations this year and they are ready to do what it takes to succeed.  Three of them just returned from the state track meet and want to take that energy to the next level in football.  I know we are the object of everyone's jokes, but don't count us out just yet.  Let it play out and see where the guys stand come November.  Can't wait for Week One to get here.

I have to go out on a limb here and say that we should get past the first round this coming year. I followed every game this past year and the returning seniors and juniors will be a force to be reckoned with on the six man field. They got a taste of the playoffs and that experience along with the games they gave away last year weigh on their mind every day. They learned, they matured and the upper classmen will be sensational leaders and go-getters this year. We have talent, speed, quick-thinkers, hard-hitters and tons of heart. They are ready for this season and are already mapping out their personal workouts over the coming weeks. Will we win state? Maybe not. Will we try? Of course we will. But are we the worst district in 6man? Absolutely not. The kids themselves have high expectations this year and they are ready to do what it takes to succeed. Three of them just returned from the state track meet and want to take that energy to the next level in football. I know we are the object of everyone's jokes, but don't count us out just yet. Let it play out and see where the guys stand come November. Can't wait for Week One to get here.

Abbott or Blum. Enough said.

And they are the worst districts. Anyone who knows anything about real football in Texas knows that.

There seems to be a terrible misconception that being the top rated football county in the state of Texas makes you more successful than your neighbors. I think the make up of each of these school districts has more to say about the success or lack of it than coaches, parents or facilities. Three of these districts are very rural, very sparsely populated districts. I don't think you need to look much further than that to see why football is at the bottom of the sports ladder in Tyler county. As far as Tyler county baseball goes it has always held it's own, I wish the youth programs in Tyler county were still affiliated with the Little League instead of Dixie league. There were some really good Little League teams over the years that came from Hennigan field and Gary Hennigan played a huge role in all those clubs success.

Tyler county has had their share of athletes! I can remember the Hadnots from Woodville and the wolfe brothers from Warren who both played in the NFL so maybe they don't have star talent every year but they do have some athletes in that area, just not as many people in that area compared to GT.

Tyler county has had their share of athletes! I can remember the Hadnots from Woodville and the wolfe brothers from Warren who both played in the NFL so maybe they don't have star talent every year but they do have some athletes in that area, just not as many people in that area compared to GT.

Don't forget Dennis Perry (U of H) and Bucky White (Lamar/Oilers) and some guy named Kenneth Hryhorchuk was halfway talented as well...😀

Tyler county started playing in the Dixie Youth league if I'm not mistaken 4 or 5 years ago. Nothing against the Dixie league but I personally think the Little League organization is second to none. If you want to go back a ways the top of the class in Warren Athletics is John Elliott. He was an all American at UT and starred on the defensive line for the New York Jets with Joe Namath in their super bowl championship season . Bucky White has a family full of great athletes who played at Warren but most excelled on the hardwood Daniel,, Reuben , Wayne and Jessie Dale make up that family tree.

John Elliot- Texas- NY Jets

Jessie Wolf- Prarie View- Miami Dolphins

James Wolf- Prarie View- Pittsburgh Steelers

Bucky White- Lamar- Houston Oilers

Rex Burks- Southern Arkansas

Dennis Perry- U of Houston

Richard Burks- McNeese State

Rocky Burks- Southern Arkansas

Rodney Burks- McNeese State

Shannon Crawford- SFA

Adrian White- Baylor

I know there are many others from Warren that have gone on to play college football.

This town has had lots of Lineman come through. But from what I understand several of the skill players have transfered to Woodville. You need lineman to win but they still need the athletes to carry the ball.