Question for those in the know?

westend1

I was listening on the radio last week and they were talking about the gas price rating. They said that it was an average of several selected stations. I guess you could have $2.40 a gallon gasoline in Beaumont and yet their "average" runs higher. That might be to location and stations that they survey. 

Doing an online search just now, I show the lowest listed for Beaumont is $2.39 and has several below $2.57.

You have to watch out for those averages as they may be misleading but not necessarily incorrect. If they only survey certain stations (especially considering location), it can skew the results to make it appear that it is something that it is not. 

On topic of gas...what is difference with this E85 v regular gas? Outside of being way cheaper, does it affect engine, mileage, etc...? Or just a gimmick to use corn and raise price of my liquor?

I think E85 is just about the opposite of what is commonly called gasahol today. When you get gasoline at most pumps you will see the sticker that says up to 10% is ethanol so we are looking at 90% gasoline and 10% alcohol. In E85 is almost the opposite at 85% ethanol and only 15% gasoline. 

I am no mechanic but I would think that in a regular gasoline engine, the E85 would be a lot less efficient. Alcohol being a lot slower at burning than gasoline or more like diesel. Add the problems with the ethanol on fuel lines, pumps, etc., I think it would be a lot better to have a vehicle designed to run E85 or other flex fuel. 

The price if gas in different towns has always had me wondering. Different towns will have completely different prices. Sometimes 15 or 20 cents a gallon only 20 miles away.

Hearne Texas near College station has the gas supply racks for that area. Every 18 wheeler delivering gas to any station around fills up at the rack in Hearne. Yet Hearne has the highest gas prices of any town around them. Just simple economics would seem they have to use more fuel to haul the gas to other towns. It should cost more than it does in Hearne. Been that way for years.

The price if gas in different towns has always had me wondering. Different towns will have completely different prices. Sometimes 15 or 20 cents a gallon only 20 miles away.

Hearne Texas near College station has the gas supply racks for that area. Every 18 wheeler delivering gas to any station around fills up at the rack in Hearne. Yet Hearne has the highest gas prices of any town around them. Just simple economics would seem they have to use more fuel to haul the gas to other towns. It should cost more than it does in Hearne. Been that way for years.

i know that stations along interstates always charge more. the logic being that many people stop to pee and decide to go ahead and top off while it's convenient, or are in a hurry and don't want to drive way off the interstate to find cheaper gas.  small towns with only one or two stations are generally more expensive as well, as people aren't going to drive 20 miles to fill up in a bigger town where prices are lower due to competition just to save 3 dollars when they fill up.