HJ------WO-S inside look

skipper

IMO, how strong your district schedule is should determine how strong you schedule your non-district schedule. Examples like Navasota and La Marque who are in extremely weak districts should schedule a tough non-district. Teams like Carthage and Kilgore may look to play an easier non district because of how tough their district is.

In the case of HJ and WO-S, because they only play 4 district games, they had to schedule 6 non district games. IMO, the perfect way to have scheduled those 6 games would be to have 2 very tough games, 2 good games, 2 easy games. But, when you have to schedule that many non district games, the pickings get slim.

I can agree with that.

#1.hj----------------------27
lcm-----------------------7 

wo-s--------------------29
lcm---------------------12 

#2 hj-----------------35 
jasper---------------21 

wo-s----------------37 
jasper--------------7 

#3 hj----------------35 
of-------------------28

wo-s---------------42 
of------------------14 

#4 hj------------54 
hf---------------39

wo-s------------54

hf---------------21

If my math is right, it looks like WOS is +11 on points scored against common opponents and WOS has given up 41 fewer points. Only going off of these 4 games it looks to me like the Mustang's Defense will be the deciding factor in this game. Both offenses seem to be legit and can put up good numbers, but again it looks like the advantage sways in favor of WOS with the D.    -Defense wins championships!

Another thing about HJs and wos's schedule is that 4 of the teams with records at .500 or a game over have 2 of their losses to HJ and WOS. OF was a good win for HJ at the time according to many on here. Is it not now that they've lost another game to WOS? If you look at jasper, they're a good team. If they don't schedule HJ and WOS, right now they're 7-1 and we're throwing them around as a team that's among the best in the area. LCM is another one that could be 6-2. Hard to judge a team based on their opponents record AFTER they beat them and make their record to from good to decent.

great post.

at this time the so called chain gang is still lost and that should give hj the BIG EDGE in this next weeks game dont you belive

I know you're trying to be modest, but this post is ridiculous. We held Orangefield to 14 points and HF to 21. How is the chain gang lost? I know you're used to shut outs, but give me a break.

I know you're trying to be modest, but this post is ridiculous. We held Orangefield to 14 points and HF to 21. How is the chain gang lost? I know you're used to shut outs, but give me a break.

VNUPE, you will have to excuse skipper. He is doing his best "HJ fan" impersonation with the "woe is me, us against the world, sky is falling" attitude. It's very common in the basketball forum from their fans. Not surprised that it spilled over here to football forum. (just poking a little fun Hawk fans)

But, neither team should have this kind of attitude. Both are very high quality teams that need no modesty. These teams are just flat out good and will still be very good teams regardless of who wins this game.

at this time the so called chain gang is still lost and that should give hj the BIG EDGE in this next weeks game dont you belive

Skip, your season-long grief about the WO-S defense is ridiculous. Do you think anything short of nine shutouts (like two years ago) is what we can do every year? Good grief...quit downing the defense. Our defense is fine. 

I'll offer this, skip...if our defense plays like we did against Foster, against HJ and during the playoffs, I like our chances to win the region and beyond.  

I believe our guys will be fired up to play HJ.

2004 WOS 42, HJ 3

2005 WOS 68, HJ 13

2006 WOS 62, HJ 0

2007 WOS 64, HJ 0

2008 WOS 48, HJ 0

2009 WOS 29, HJ 10

2010 WOS 70, HJ 0

2011 WOS 58, HJ 6

2012 WOS 49, HJ 0

2013 WOS 46, HJ 6

HJ has scored 38 pts in 10 years combined against WOS...  I'm not saying you can't do it but you gotta prove yourself to get any credibility.  I have yet to hear what is SO dramatically improved this year to make me think you will win.  We've beaten the spread against every common opponent we've played last year and this year except for LCM. Good luck!

To compare HJ this year to anything they've done in the past 10 years just doesn't show any knowledge of anything going on in our football program at all. Forget about any competition between the schools...if we are all football fans here, and I believe we are, can we be happy that HJ has a competitive program after looking at the scores over the last 10 years?!? So, no matter what the outcome of the game this week (and make no mistake, I think HJ is coming out on top! lol), for anyone to post anything about HJ's performance in their past 10 years of football and compare it to this year of football is kind of sad. It's going to be a FUN week. Let's enjoy it! WOS has an amazing history of having a great football and athletic program. My son and our family have many friends out there. As a HUGE football family, no matter which team comes out on top this week, PLEASE celebrate with HJ as our district comes together to grow, build, and support our football program for the first time in many, many years. If not for programs like WOS, we wouldn't have teams to DRIVE us to become better!! So, that said...it's ON like DONKEY KONG!! (: See you on the field this week! (: May God keep ALL of our boys safe and healthy this week!  

Granted, HJ is undefeated, which is impressive, and you can only play the teams on your schedule. Having said that, Tatum is 4-4, Jasper is 5-3, Center is 2-5, Kountze is 3-5, LC-M is 5-4, Orangefield is 5-4, HF is 4-4, and Kelly is a 4-5 Catholic school. It's not the most "cupcake" schedule, but it's FAR from "pretty tough." The best winning percentage among them is .625. Yes, they beat Tatum, who beat Newton. WO-S beat PN-G, who crushed Tyler Chapel Hill, who beat Tatum. All of the "we beat X who beat Y who beat Z" is so irrelevant that it's ridiculous. It's all about matchups, and there are certain teams whose skill sets match up with ours - teams who are always a threat to beat us even when we're flying high (Jasper, Newton, etc). If WO-S was coming in to this game with Cole at QB and Rutlege still on the team, this would be an easier win. Jack is doing REALLY well out there for anyone - much less a sophomore who was thrown in at the last minute. I don't care who you're playing - going 12 of 13 for 329 yards and SIX TDs is pretty dang good. I wish I could be there for this one, but it's Halloween and I'll have the kiddos. GO STANGS!

if you was trying to discredit their record i think you have

First and foremost unless you are a coach, or have a kid on the team I find it rather hard for you to have the "inside look". Throwing around stats and scores that you have googled is NOT an inside look it is a comparative analysis from years past.

If you want an inside look here it is,  I live with 2 players from HJ and I can assure you they will be as prepared as a player can be when WOS rolls into town. They will celebrate a victory or shake off a defeat and be ready for the next game. I am proud of the transformation that the HJ football program has made, the boys walk a little taller, the band plays louder, the cheer leaders jump higher, the drill team marches a little more briskly and the bleachers are A LOT more crowded. All can be attributed to what a winning program will bring to your school. 

I like people doubting the HJ defense. I think they play to their opponents. Against Tatum, which some would argue is a really good win, they held them to five first downs. They step up when they need to. I will say that HJ played poorly against Hamshire, but I did see some of the younger guys in there more often and getting more reps. Don't take those front seven in the box lightly. They are not afraid to run you over.

I keep hearing about how good HJ defense is.A good defense dose not give up the points to so-so teams.So my question is...how are they going to stop WO-S.The answer is they will have to keep the ball away from WO-S.I think WO-S defense will be able to get enough stops to be able to control the game.I don't see a blow out but WO-S should win by 2 TD's.

I keep hearing about how good HJ defense is.A good defense dose not give up the points to so-so teams.So my question is...how are they going to stop WO-S.The answer is they will have to keep the ball away from WO-S.I think WO-S defense will be able to get enough stops to be able to control the game.I don't see a blow out but WO-S should win by 2 TD's.

HJ defense is allowing 19.375 points per game. WO-S is allowing 13.778. That's not even a full touchdown difference.

Common opponents points scored

HJ                    WO-S

LC-M                       7                        12

Jasper                   21                          7

Orangefield           28                         14

Hamshire-Fann     39                         21

total                       95                         54

average                 23.75                  13.5

I believe this to be a better gauge when comparing the two defenses in points allowed.

HJ's game is built on ball control, taking over late in games. In a game between these two that may be their downfall. Between these two teams I think WOS has the edge as far as a quick strike offense. That tough mustang defense will get some stops early and if their offense gets a couple of those fast strike scores, this game could be over early. Not necessarily a blowout but a lead that the Hawks offense isn't built to overcome. This one will come down to whether or not that WOS offense gets those scores. If it's real tight going into that fourth quarter, then it's the Hawks game to lose. All the pressure of an expected win and district title will fall on a young qb and whether or not he will have the ball long enough in that quarter to do what he needs.

HJ's game is built on ball control, taking over late in games. In a game between these two that may be their downfall. Between these two teams I think WOS has the edge as far as a quick strike offense. That tough mustang defense will get some stops early and if their offense gets a couple of those fast strike scores, this game could be over early. Not necessarily a blowout but a lead that the Hawks offense isn't built to overcome. This one will come down to whether or not that WOS offense gets those scores. If it's real tight going into that fourth quarter, then it's the Hawks game to lose. All the pressure of an expected win and district title will fall on a young qb and whether or not he will have the ball long enough in that quarter to do what he needs.

I like this post. I don't think HJ has played from behind all year. That may not be true for some of the early games, but I can't remember a game in which HJ was playing catch-up. They always either have the lead or are tied. I'm eager to see how DT plays in a game that he doesn't have a receiver to cover.