To Far or Over Sensitive

GCMproud

Guest ECBucFan

He should have been more professional, but this isn't much more than juvenile trash talk. They are going to over react and treat this like he committed some horrible crime, though. No one has any real perspective in this overly sensitive, over reacting, overly litigating culture we now live in. Is the CNN news trucks on the way?

BTW, why did the complainer hide her identity?

I agree this country has become too PC, but I'm not talking about PC, I'm talking about who I want my kids learning from.  I like the way Neumann does it in his program, he demands respect for officials and opponents...etc.  This is pretty disrespectful, not the picture, but the "you're the worst team in town" comment, that just shows no class in my opinion.  He shouldn't lose his job or even really be disciplined unless the head coach wants to lay that down.  He has every right to NOT want this kind of representation of the program he's running.  All in my opinion.

Guest ECBucFan

I think the complainer who called the media in should be identified. Why hide YOUR identity from the camera, if you called in the cameras and want to publicly accuse others? POS.

Pathetic what this PC world is coming to. People need to get thicker skin. Just because you're offended, doesn't make you right. I hope the Coach stands his ground. No apologies.

Notice how they emphasize the coach using profanity? He said.... Really? I love how the media takes something and spruces it up hoping to make it contoversial. Geez.. you hear worse words that that on CBS primetime. Next thing you know, the name Patriots will become "unimaginally hurtful" and some liberal wackjob group will say it offends the English(England) people living in our country. LOL Ok, off my rant.

I have no problem with the picture of the whiteboard drawing. That's pretty funny, and harmless. We used to have signs around school like "scalp the Indians", "kill the cats" or whatever. So yeah, who cares about the picture. The comment by the teacher/coach wouldn't bother me much if he wasn't a teacher/coach, or at least if it wasn't on facebook. I feel like there's a certain amount of professionalism and sportsmanship that coaches should be held to. It's one thing to say something like that to your own team, and as a player coaches might say something like that to us, which isn't a big deal (in the locker screaming "we kicked their ..., they're the worst team in town! now we're the best team in town! etc.), it's another thing completely when posted online where it could be read by hundreds of people and possibly spread to the media. It's an insult that is derogatory to a whole team of high school kids, who have now ALL been exposed to the putdown through the media, and that is the age group that this coach has been hired to promote and lift up, not degrade and embarrass. So on a whole, I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world, but if you're going to sign on to be a teacher and a coach, and at least theoretically devote a good part of your life to educating young people, you should provide a better example and make sure that you're not doing anything that might negatively affect the kids you're supposed to help.

All that having been said, to answer the question of "too far or oversensitive?", the correct answer is "yes."

Guest ECBucFan

Next thing you know, the name Patriots will become "unimaginally hurtful" and some liberal wackjob group will say it offends ..

Nothing surprises me anymore, since all this Anti-Americanism has swept through our country like wild fire the last 6 years or so. 

I have no problem with the picture of the whiteboard drawing. That's pretty funny, and harmless. We used to have signs around school like "scalp the Indians", "kill the cats" or whatever. So yeah, who cares about the picture. The comment by the teacher/coach wouldn't bother me much if he wasn't a teacher/coach, or at least if it wasn't on facebook. I feel like there's a certain amount of professionalism and sportsmanship that coaches should be held to. It's one thing to say something like that to your own team, and as a player coaches might say something like that to us, which isn't a big deal (in the locker screaming "we kicked their ..., they're the worst team in town! now we're the best team in town! etc.), it's another thing completely when posted online where it could be read by hundreds of people and possibly spread to the media. It's an insult that is derogatory to a whole team of high school kids, who have now ALL been exposed to the putdown through the media, and that is the age group that this coach has been hired to promote and lift up, not degrade and embarrass. So on a whole, I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world, but if you're going to sign on to be a teacher and a coach, and at least theoretically devote a good part of your life to educating young people, you should provide a better example and make sure that you're not doing anything that might negatively affect the kids you're supposed to help.

All that having been said, to answer the question of "too far or oversensitive?", the correct answer is "yes."

I agree with everything in the post above.  The Facebook post because it was public and contained an explitive was unprofessional.

I went to Lee back in the late 70's.........it was much worse between Lee and Sterling then.

My cousin went to RSS and made a run through poster and hung in the commons when they played Pasadena Eagles I believe........had an eagle standing with its beak on the ground and said "Knock their peckers off". He got a few swats but it was funny as hell