GRADES

CraigS

Let me help clarify for some people..

At the end of the six weeks (which could be only 5 weeks) grades are due.

Usually Monday is posting but grading period is Friday. 

For school districts that have 9 week grading periods: they have to have grade postings for 1st six weeks ONLY! they count for eligibility

UIL States that they have a 7 day grace period from end of six week or 3 weeks to regain eligibility.

So yes grades were due on friday of this week or last week (depending on your district)

Students have that 7 day grace, which ends at the last scheduled period of your school(330). so they could play on thursday (Varsity, JV, or Fresh) not Friday.

The kids could have gotten their report card on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thus, or Friday.  It does not matter when they get the report card. it is from when the last day of the 6 weeks 

So after 3 weeks if they regain eligibility, they still have the 7 day grace period.  So Sub Varsity usually plays of thursday, they can not play till end of school on friday. 

I hope this helps

As for letting a varsity player play on thursday... I would not push for that at all..

make the kids accountable for their actions..

I just want to bring one aspect of House Bill 72 that has been discussed by folks like us every since the law started in 1984. The idea was to get kids who are in anything extraculicuar to make passing grades or he or she can't participate. The basic concept is good, but it is not 100% perfect.There are many instances where a student has elected to take advanced courses (Caluclus..etc) and he or she ends up failing for the six weeks...they are ineligable. So are we saying to the kid take a watered down course like how to balance you check book, at least you won't fail. I just brought this up in reference to hitman's making the kids being accountable for their actions.

If a kid failed band at our high school, instead of going to the games, they had to do another assignment that the director made up, as to avoid more failing because of failing. If that at all makes sense.

There are some exceptions to extra-curriculua performances that count as grades, and no-pass, no-play.  Although a band performing at halftime of a competitive football game would not qualify.

http://www.uiltexas.org/academics/resources/eligibility/

by that Thursday grades are already posted and report cards are out

FYI on Grade Reporting:
There is a one week grace period that starts at the end of school on the day that the grading period ends. That gives the school time to get grade reports done and finalized and print report cards, etc... Students do not gain or lose eligibility till the end of the grace period. So if the grading period ended last friday at 3:30, the student becomes inelligible this Friday at 3:30. After three week progress reports, students can regain eligibility, but have to wait for the grace period of one week. A student must pass all subjects on the progress report to regain elligibility, not just the one they failed. Students do not lose eligibility on progress reports, they can only help you. Any time there is a week or more break, all students are eligible during that break, ie Christmas or spring break.

FYI on Grade Reporting:
There is a one week grace period that starts at the end of school on the day that the grading period ends. That gives the school time to get grade reports done and finalized and print report cards, etc... Students do not gain or lose eligibility till the end of the grace period. So if the grading period ended last friday at 3:30, the student becomes inelligible this Friday at 3:30. After three week progress reports, students can regain eligibility, but have to wait for the grace period of one week. A student must pass all subjects on the progress report to regain elligibility, not just the one they failed. Students do not lose eligibility on progress reports, they can only help you. Any time there is a week or more break, all students are eligible during that break, ie Christmas or spring break.

your telling me something I already know or have already said in other posts.

I just want to bring one aspect of House Bill 72 that has been discussed by folks like us every since the law started in 1984. The idea was to get kids who are in anything extraculicuar to make passing grades or he or she can't participate. The basic concept is good, but it is not 100% perfect.There are many instances where a student has elected to take advanced courses (Caluclus..etc) and he or she ends up failing for the six weeks...they are ineligable. So are we saying to the kid take a watered down course like how to balance you check book, at least you won't fail. I just brought this up in reference to hitman's making the kids being accountable for their actions.

Advanced Placement courses do not count toward No Pass No Play the same as other courses. The school can exempt a student who fails these courses and allow them to participate.

Moving a varsity player to jv because they failed is teaching the kid that there are ways to get around the system. It sends the wrong message to that kid and the rest of the team. It also takes playing time away from a jv kid, so you are sending that kid the wrong message. I personally think a coach should send a statement to the other players by not letting the kid that failed back on the team that year. Do that a time or two and kids would make sure they kept their grades up if they wanted to play. Same thing with discipline issues. Set a standard for your players and stick with it. Once you let a superstar get by with it, you lose all credibility and things will slowly get worse.

Advanced Placement courses do not count toward No Pass No Play the same as other courses. The school can exempt a student who fails these courses and allow them to participate.

you are correct. Advanced Placement courses do not count toward No Pass No Play...

However It is up to the School District to make that rule... Some schools make it a 10 point curve on eligibility.(59- cant play) some don't do anything.. (70+) and some do not have a eligibility on AP cources

It's rarely about the players development and learning life lessons now a days. It seems as if everyone is trying to prove that they can coach by trying to win at any cost, not considering anything else. They preach team but most will leave their team in a heart beat for a better situation. It's hard for kids to buy into somethings when they see somethings are just not right. Hmm, JMO

I think this question originally posed should be viewed on a case by case basis.  I really don't see the competitive advantage gained by letting the kid play one JV game on Thursday, so saying some coaches are "win at all cost" isn't what this is probably about...unless his motive is to go undefeated at the JV level.  The question is "what message is being sent".  I hope that most coaches know their players well or maybe I am being naive.  However, that coach might know what it takes to motivate that kid.  Maybe he wouldn't do it if he knew the kid just slacked off.  Maybe he knew that he gave his best and sometimes our best isn't good enough at that moment and he wanted to reward him for trying.  I won't judge him, I will just hope that he had the best interest of the student in mind.