GRADES

CraigS

It's rarely about the players development and learning life lessons now a days. It seems as if everyone is trying to prove that they can coach by trying to win at any cost, not considering anything else. They preach team but most will leave their team in a heart beat for a better situation. It's hard for kids to buy into somethings when they see somethings are just not right. Hmm, JMO

Unfair to him and the team if he plays because they lose the game. A lot of kids would not graduate if it wasn't for sports making them keep their grades up in order to play. There was a D-1 player last year that got hurt and was not playing any more that year and wound up not passing high school his senior year and lost his scholarship to a D-1 school. He cannot play for any college without that diploma. Grades must come first. 

Unfair to him and the team if he plays because they lose the game. A lot of kids would not graduate if it wasn't for sports making them keep their grades up in order to play. There was a D-1 player last year that got hurt and was not playing any more that year and wound up not passing high school his senior year and lost his scholarship to a D-1 school. He cannot play for any college without that diploma. Grades must come first. 

The JV would not lose the game because the student didn't become ineleligble until Friday at the end of the school day. 

The issue is, if you know the student was going to fail, where should he be Thursday night, hitting the field, or hitting the books.

I vote books.

The JV would not lose the game because the student didn't become ineleligble until Friday at the end of the school day.
The issue is, if you know the student was going to fail, where should he be Thursday night, hitting the field, or hitting the books.
I vote books.

by that Thursday grades are already posted and report cards are out

I think what he is saying is if you become ineligible friday at 3;30 do you agree or disagree with someone playing on jv that thursday

ahhh... makes sense... I don't think there's anything wrong with that personally (although you're kinda rewarding poor effort in some cases)... now the next week? that's different.

For many districts report cards come out today. It would also depend on when your school started this year. I don't know how your district works.

every school district that I know grades are posted on Monday mornings and reposted on Tuesday for final grades and report cards come out at the end of the week

How fair is it and what is a coach teaching players when a coach allows a failing varsity player to play on JV Thursday night to get playing time, due to knowing the player has failed and won't be allowed to play on Varsity Friday night?

Wow. If this is true, it is very disappointing. No, the child should not has been moved down to play. Life lessons are hard and learning them in high school will help you as an adult.

Smh on this one

I don't know how it is in athletics, but in band the games count as a grade. All the extra circulars are graded on participation. So if you have a failing grade in a class and cant participate in the extra circular activities, you get a 0 for that. So now grades will be going down in band.  

I don't know how it is in athletics, but in band the games count as a grade. All the extra circulars are graded on participation. So if you have a failing grade in a class and cant participate in the extra circular activities, you get a 0 for that. So now grades will be going down in band.  

If a kid failed band at our high school, instead of going to the games, they had to do another assignment that the director made up, as to avoid more failing because of failing. If that at all makes sense.

by that Thursday grades are already posted and report cards are out

Report Cards come out on Friday, but you are correct that the grades have already been posted so studying on Thursday instead of playing in a JV game won't help for Friday night...BUT it would be the best thing for the kid(s) to get a jump start on the second six weeks!!!

Report Cards come out on Friday, but you are correct that the grades have already been posted so studying on Thursday instead of playing in a JV game won't help for Friday night...BUT it would be the best thing for the kid(s) to get a jump start on the second six weeks!!!

in Kountze they come out Thursday, just because png does it Friday doesn't make it a national law