SETXsports High School Football Rankings - Week 7

WOSgrad

Gabe if Newton hadn't lost a game all year your staff would have them at the bottom of the polls. If you can't interpret the message I was trying to get across your not real smart yourself. Personally I wish you would have not put Newton in your dream poll.

This post is hilarious. Our preseason poll had Newton #1, unanimous #1. They stayed in the polls until they lost 3 of their first 4 games. A natural fall in the polls was from the fact Newton had lost games while others in the rankings kept winning.

I suppose we should keep Newton in the rankings if they started the year 0-6. :rolleyes:

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1552437" timestamp="1412739950"]

This post is hilarious. Our preseason poll had Newton #1, unanimous #1. They stayed in the polls until they lost 3 of their first 4 games. A natural fall in the polls was from the fact Newton had lost games while others in the rankings kept winning.

I suppose we should keep Newton in the rankings You guys are doing a great job. A staff member should research ones message and not be the first to throw the D word at a person.I enjoy the site and will try to use the proper vocabulary to convey my message in the future. My above post was not to say losing is ok. It's not.

Gabe a team goes 10-0 into the playoffs.Meets a team that's 7-3
The team with the 3 losses has learned why they lost and made adjustments. They have played a tougher schedule than the 10-0 team also. I can see this as being an advantage to the 7-3 team. With the 3 losses on their record the
10-0 team may take them lightly.
It happens.

I get what you are saying cactus, the team with more losses on their record is more likely to get tooken lightly, want to see proof of this statement scroll through the WOS/newton thread,WOS fans said that newton was took lightly, so yea in some way I guess our losses gave us a advantage.

In the 3A/4A poll, #'s 1 & 2 should be swapped. Kirbyville has earned a #1 ranking more so than HJ for 3 reasons...Reason #1) Their lowest pt total for the yr was 28 (against Anahuac), but the most they've given up was 27 (against Orangefield). That means that even the best offense faced did not score enough to top what the best defense held us to. Not the case with HJ. Their highest # of pts allowed was 28 (against Kountze), but their lowest pts scored was 21 (against Tatum). If you're not understanding, let me put it this way.....if you take Anahuacs defense and Orangefields offense, and put them on the same team, they still could not have beaten Kirbyville. The score would have been 28-27. But if you take Tatum's defense and combine them with Kountze's offense, then HJ could have a loss of 21-28. Reason #2) Against common opponents, Kirbyville did MUCH better. In this case, they both have only faced Kountze, but Kirbyville scored 7 more pts and gave up 14 fewer than HJ did. That's a +21 edge in favor of Kirbyville. And Reason #3) In games played so far, HJ has won by an avg of 38-15. Kirbyville's margin of victory has been 43-12. Yet HJ is ranked above us. Why? Why is the opinion there that HJ is better? I just gave you reasons to put Kirbyville first....someone please explain why HJ should be first. 

Well heck, an argument could even be made for Buna to be above WO-S. Buna is undefeated, but WO-S has lost 2 games. Also, what's significant is that one of those losses came to Newton.... cause Newton lost to Orangefiled, who lost to BUNA! These rankings are fun, and interesting, and I know they are nothing more than conversation-inspiring opinions, but still....some teams have done more than others to earn the higher ranking, so it should have been given to them. 

In the 3A/4A poll, #'s 1 & 2 should be swapped. Kirbyville has earned a #1 ranking more so than HJ for 3 reasons...Reason #1) Their lowest pt total for the yr was 28 (against Anahuac), but the most they've given up was 27 (against Orangefield). That means that even the best offense faced did not score enough to top what the best defense held us to. Not the case with HJ. Their highest # of pts allowed was 28 (against Kountze), but their lowest pts scored was 21 (against Tatum). If you're not understanding, let me put it this way.....if you take Anahuacs defense and Orangefields offense, and put them on the same team, they still could not have beaten Kirbyville. The score would have been 28-27. But if you take Tatum's defense and combine them with Kountze's offense, then HJ could have a loss of 21-28. Reason #2) Against common opponents, Kirbyville did MUCH better. In this case, they both have only faced Kountze, but Kirbyville scored 7 more pts and gave up 14 fewer than HJ did. That's a +21 edge in favor of Kirbyville. And Reason #3) In games played so far, HJ has won by an avg of 38-15. Kirbyville's margin of victory has been 43-12. Yet HJ is ranked above us. Why? Why is the opinion there that HJ is better? I just gave you reasons to put Kirbyville first....someone please explain why HJ should be first. 

Because Kirbyville has only beaten one decent team. Look at the teams beaten:

Kirbyville: Kountze, Orangefield, Deweyville, Anahuac, Bridge City.

Anahuac is having a terrible year (1-4), Deweyville is having a terrible year (1-4), Kountze is having a terrible year (0-5), Bridge City is having a terrible year (1-4). Orangefield is a pretty good team, and has a 4-2 record. Kville's other four opponents combine for a record of 3-17 (and two of those victories are against liberty, which might be the worst team in the area). Kirbyville's schedule being called weak is an understatement.

HJ: Jasper, Kelly, Kountze, LCM, Center, Tatum

Jasper is a pretty good team (3-3) that's lost 3 playing a tough schedule, Kelly (3-3)is not great, but would probably beat most of the teams Kirbyville has beaten, Kountze is having a terrible year, LCM is a good team that is 3-3 (but with losses against HJ, WOS, and BH), Center is a good East Texas team, and Tatum is a state powerhouse.

To be honest, your logic didn't make sense to begin with, but we can make it WAAAAAAAY simple here: Kirbyville is 5-0 having played a complete cupcake schedule. HJ is 6-0 playing a schedule that is without a doubt in the top 5 most difficult schedules out of the teams covered in this 4A/3A poll. what you're suggesting is like trying to make a case that a 5-0 mid-major football team in college should be ranked ahead of a 6-0 SEC team. It's not going to happen. It doesn't mean that the mid-major team isn't a great team, but who you beat means a lot. I mean no disrespect to Kville here. I hear they have a great team, and I've heard from people I trust that they have the talent to give HJ a great game, but when you look at the body of work, there's no comparison. HJ has far and away earned their #1 spot this season.

Well heck, an argument could even be made for Buna to be above WO-S. Buna is undefeated, but WO-S has lost 2 games. Also, what's significant is that one of those losses came to Newton.... cause Newton lost to Orangefiled, who lost to BUNA! These rankings are fun, and interesting, and I know they are nothing more than conversation-inspiring opinions, but still....some teams have done more than others to earn the higher ranking, so it should have been given to them.

An argument could actually be made that Buna, Corrigan Camden, and Huffman Hargrave should be ahead of Kirbyville. They've all played better schedules than Kirbyville, and are all undefeated. East Chambers could also make that argument, although I think their schedule is probably as weak as K-ville. But realistically, WOS has played a very tough schedule, both of their losses were to very good teams, and had they played the schedule of any team I just mentioned, whether it be Kville, EC, HH,Buna or CC they would be 5-0, have a bunch of blowout wins, still be ranked #1 in the poll, and we wouldn't be having a conversation about whether Kirbyville should be ahead of them. I don't think Buna has done enough to jump WOS when you look at their results versus each other. To be honest, I don't know that any team other than HJ should be ahead of them based on scheduling, but that's how these things go.

In 1998 WOS beat Newton 10-0,Newton beat Silsbee 55-0.So with your line of thinking WOS will destroy Silsbee.Silsbee beat WOS 26-24.How did that happen?They play the game for a reason.

HJ gets beat by Buna, EC , and Kirbyville

That's funny right there. Although I do think HJ vs. Kirbyville would be a good game. Of course, HJ has beaten 5 solid teams and Kirbyville one, so it's tough to say who would have the advantage in that game. HJ and Buna have had a couple of common opponents, with HJ performing better in those games. And EC really hasn't played much of anyone at all. I guess you're basing this on HJ playing some close games against quality opponents while the other schools have been blowing out bad teams?

Don't piss off the HJ mafia kcat fan.

I'm not pissed. It's an irrelevant statement though. HJ had a couple of tough breaks in that game or they win by twice as much as kville did against OF. That being said, HJ has three or four other quality wins, while Kirbyville has beaten nobody else.

I get it...your in the tank for HJ. No problem. I don't care about rankings either. But just don't make up facts. You have no idea if Kirbyville had tough breaks or how many more anyone would have scored. I guess HJ had tough breaks against Kountze as well. Two common opponents that Kville ended up with a larger margin of victory over. I'm ok with HJ being ranked 1. They are a quality football team. I wish them much success. My only issue was your flawed ( and biased) reasoning.

I get it...your in the tank for HJ. No problem. I don't care about rankings either. But just don't make up facts. You have no idea if Kirbyville had tough breaks or how many more anyone would have scored. I guess HJ had tough breaks against Kountze as well. Two common opponents that Kville ended up with a larger margin of victory over. I'm ok with HJ being ranked 1. They are a quality football team. I wish them much success. My only issue was your flawed ( and biased) reasoning.

I'm an HJ alum. Of course I'm biased, just as every fan on here is for one school or another. Which doesn't change the fact that HJ deserves the ranking over Kirbyville because their wins over LCM, Jasper, Tatum, and Center outweigh Kirbyville scoring a couple of extra TDs against their common opponents and blowing out all of the bad teams on their schedule. thats no knock on kirbyville, either, so dont take it as one. As for making up facts, can you please highlight in the post where I made anything up about, or even said anything at all about the breaks that Kirbyville has had at any point in the season? You come on here taking shots at HJ fans, then try to cast me as the bad guy when I'm simply stating that HJ has had the better year based on their overall body of work. When someone tried to make a big deal about Kirbyville beating a team by a whole extra touchdown, I merely pointed out that the HJ-OF game was literally two plays away from being a 30 point win for HJ. Nothing biased about that, just stating what happened. I stated earlier (I believe in this thread), that I thought Kirbyville/HJ would be a good matchup, and I did NOT predict that HJ would win. I did take issue when someone came on here and said that Buna, EC, and Kirbyville would ALL beat HJ, because that was a silly statement. But for someone who's throwing out accusations and accusing me of being "in the tank" for HJ, whatever that's supposed to mean, you got wound up pretty quick about a pretty innocuous post.

Buna beat HJ 21-0 last year, Beat OF this year who should have beat HJ. You would not beat Kirbyville or EC. If you were in District 12 3A, you might get the 4th playoff spot.

This is crazy middle schooler logic.  How do you give credit to Buna for beating OF because of a missed extra point, but then give OF credit for losing to HJ, when they were down 21 points with 3 minutes to go and needed two onside kicks just to even make the game interesting?  OF should not have beaten HJ, and were lucky it ended as close as it did.  As for East Chambers, four of their opponents have 1-5 records, and the other two teams they've beaten are average at best.  East Chambers has beaten MAYBE one team that you could call "good", and that team would get destroyed by any decent 4A school in the area.  Buna has played a little tougher schedule, and have done well, but have done absolutely nothing this year that would allow any sane person over the age of 11 to guarantee a victory over HJ like you have done, although i think it would be a good game.  Their best win is arguably a 10-point win over center, who HJ blasted by 31, even after the 2nd string gave up a garbage time score.  Kirbyville has a very talented team, but again, 4 of their 6 wins have come against 1-5 teams, so it's hard to say how well they would do with a tough schedule.  But i will say that if Kville/HJ played, it would be a tossup in my mind.  HJ has played as many quality opponents this year as EC, Buna, and Kirbyville combined, and they're 7-0.  Thats more than enough to deserve a #1 ranking in this poll, but it's also more than enough to nullify your crazy comment that they'd finish 4th in 12-3A, especially when you look at the results you're basing your prediction on.