there are winnners and losers!!!

i know this is an old topic, but i get tired of people saying there is no winner in a scrimmage. BULLCRAP!!! anytime some type score is kept, there is a winner and a loser. if a full game scrimmage is played, team A scored 5 times and made extra points, that's 35 and team B scored twice and made xp, that's 14. winner and loser. now, it doesn't mean anything. doesn't mean you are going to win state and it doesn't mean you will suck. it shows where you need to polish and see who's better at what position. depending on the scrimmage, if it's a full game, i look at it like a NFL preseason game. you have full contact, with refs, game clock. doesn't count, but it's a WINNER and a LOSER. try telling some of those kids that they didn't "win" a scrimmage when they cleary scored more and dominated. if anything, it might build confidence in a young qb or a skill position player on varsity for the first time. these scrimmages count!! just not in the books.

i know this is an old topic, but i get tired of people saying there is no winner in a scrimmage. BULLCRAP!!! anytime some type score is kept, there is a winner and a loser. if a full game scrimmage is played, team A scored 5 times and made extra points, that's 35 and team B scored twice and made xp, that's 14. winner and loser. now, it doesn't mean anything. doesn't mean you are going to win state and it doesn't mean you will suck. it shows where you need to polish and see who's better at what position. depending on the scrimmage, if it's a full game, i look at it like a NFL preseason game. you have full contact, with refs, game clock. doesn't count, but it's a WINNER and a LOSER. try telling some of those kids that they didn't "win" a scrimmage when they cleary scored more and dominated. if anything, it might build confidence in a young qb or a skill position player on varsity for the first time. these scrimmages count!! just not in the books.

No winners, man. I have to agree with the troll... There are no winners or losers...

I really don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand!!! If I'm the OC and I run a specific play in a scrimmage successfully 3 times, I know it works and the players know how to execute it. I'm not gonna keep running it!!! However, if in a REAL game I'm gonna keep coming back to that play until the D shows me they can stop it!!

Calm down Mighty Mouse. There is no such thing as a win or loss in a scrimmage!!! Certain formations are run to see how a defense will adjust to it. Certain plays are run to see if they work, or if the blocking scheme should be changed. Certain players play to see if they can earn a position. How about this:

Team A scores once with their 1st offense and Team B scores twice with their 2nd offense. The "score" is 2-1 in favor of Team B. Who wins this scrimmage?

LOL...you guys...so why even use a score board?? how about just stop at the goal line?? wins and loses. PAM got their tale whipped and did not look good last year in the scrimmage...THEY PLAYED THE EXACT SAME WAY AGAINST CENTRAL THR FOLLOWING WEEK!! it's not like in the old days when practice started Aug. 1st with two a days and you had 3 scrimmages before you played in SEPTEMBER. that's one reason i say scrimmages can count for encouragement and confidence, because that's all you get nowadays is ONE scrimmage.

Calm down Mighty Mouse. There is no such thing as a win or loss in a scrimmage!!! Certain formations are run to see how a defense will adjust to it. Certain plays are run to see if they work, or if the blocking scheme should be changed. Certain players play to see if they can earn a position. How about this:

Team A scores once with their 1st offense and Team B scores twice with their 2nd offense. The "score" is 2-1 in favor of Team B. Who wins this scrimmage?

Team B. you never said which defense was out there lol...same as when backs ups playing. a score is a score. nobody takes it seriously.

I attended 3 scrimmages yesterday. No score was posted on the stadium scoreboard in any of those scrimmages. Yes, there were TD's scored in all of those scrimmages.

Too many things go on in scrimmages that do not happen in real games to even consider a winner or loser.

Until team records show wins and losses in scrimmages, it will remain "glorified" practices.

Such a stupid topic. :rolleyes:

Everybody leave mightymouse alone! His team is obviously 1-0! Of course there are winners and losers at scrimmage, c'mon man! I mean it's just like a real game you know, with the coaches and other players standing right BEHIND the offense, and the whistle being blown BEFORE your QB gets blown up by a missed blocking assignment, OR the offense running 20-25 plays in a row regardless of a first down or not, OR the penalties get called but the not marked off you just move on to the next play, I mean that's just like the real thing!! Even the 'LIVE" periods are controlled to allow maximum practice to take place. Brenham scrimmaged Manvel yesterday and there were some good things and some bad things. Manvel "outscored" us 4-1 if you are keeping score at home (and obviously mightymouse is). We have kids playing new positions, some young kids getting first exposure, trying new plays, etc..... I don't know any coaches that are worth anything that look at scrimmages as a win/lose, but rather as an intense practice. That way you can see EXACTLY where your trouble spots are and correct them. Same thing happened last year with Brenham when we scrimmaged Manvel and if I'm not mistaken Coach West got his team ready for the season, but what do I know, Brenham 0-1 I guess!

Everybody leave mightymouse alone! His team is obviously 1-0! Of course there are winners and losers at scrimmage, c'mon man! I mean it's just like a real game you know, with the coaches and other players standing right BEHIND the offense, and the whistle being blown BEFORE your QB gets blown up by a missed blocking assignment, OR the offense running 20-25 plays in a row regardless of a first down or not, OR the penalties get called but the not marked off you just move on to the next play, I mean that's just like the real thing!! Even the 'LIVE" periods are controlled to allow maximum practice to take place. Brenham scrimmaged Manvel yesterday and there were some good things and some bad things. Manvel "outscored" us 4-1 if you are keeping score at home (and obviously mightymouse is). We have kids playing new positions, some young kids getting first exposure, trying new plays, etc..... I don't know any coaches that are worth anything that look at scrimmages as a win/lose, but rather as an intense practice. That way you can see EXACTLY where your trouble spots are and correct them. Same thing happened last year with Brenham when we scrimmaged Manvel and if I'm not mistaken Coach West got his team ready for the season, but what do I know, Brenham 0-1 I guess!

dayton doesn't scrimmage with coaches on the field. They have game like scrimmages with kickoffs punts penalties and yes a scoreboard game clock and 4 full quarters. The only difference I see between our scrimmages and a real game is the punts and kickoffs are not returned. Having said all that nobody wins a scrimmage even though it is odd to keep a scoreboard.

dayton doesn't scrimmage with coaches on the field. They have game like scrimmages with kickoffs punts penalties and yes a scoreboard game clock and 4 full quarters. The only difference I see between our scrimmages and a real game is the punts and kickoffs are not returned. Having said all that nobody wins a scrimmage even though it is odd to keep a scoreboard.

This is definitely an exception then, not the rule. Either way scrimmages are controlled in some way to maximize practice and minimize injuries.

Mighty???

Team A shows up to "win" the scrimmage,  they open up the playbook, they go all out,  coach dont call the plays he needs to work on but calls the plays and adjust to the play calling of the opposing coach.  They lose two starters to pulled muscles and the QB breaks his hands trying to dive into the endzone but they do score 5 TD's  

Team B  Coach lines his players up, run it like a practice, calls the plays he thinks his guys need to see and work on those plays, gets the starters some reps but more importantly gets the new guys and back ups some play time and learning who fits and who dont.  They only score 1 TD but they all walk away healthy and he walks away knowing where he stands and what needs to happen now. 

Team A scored 5 TD and Team B only scored 1 TD, however the score board was never even turned on...tell me again who wins this scrimmage?

Like Broncopride said, the Dayton v. Friendswood scrimmage was played like a game -- no coaches on the field, not red jerseys, etc -- so you could declare a winner and a loser.  However, I agree in principal with the idea that in most scrimmages there is no winner or loser.

that's all i'm saying, records are not kept etc...but when you have a "score" with anything, who has the most is the winner. okay when you "practice" coaches blow the whistle and stop the play. nobody runs for a TD unless they are working on goal line drills. in PRACTICE THE XP DON'T COUNT BECAUSE THE KICKER PRACTICE BY HIMSELF. a scrimmage is a practice GAME. you play it just like a game. you score points. at the end, you won't get credit for it. IMO, a scrimmage should be conducted like a REAL practice. NO scoring. we start on the 40 and blow the play dead once the kid hits the ground or 20 yards after the line of scrimmage. on deep passes, once he catches beyond 20yards, play dead. no need for refs or a SCORE BOARD. ijs

you missed the point and my team is 0-0... even in the scrimmage department. we have not played yet..we only get ONE scrimmage game before it starts to count. i'm not talking about controlled scrimmages. i'm talking about full game scrimmages. PAM plays scrimmages like a real game. you don't run 25 plays in row. it is full game. only thing is you can't rush the kicker on fg attempts or xp. and sp teams are sometimes live and sometimes not.

Mighty???

Team A shows up to "win" the scrimmage,  they open up the playbook, they go all out,  coach dont call the plays he needs to work on but calls the plays and adjust to the play calling of the opposing coach.  They lose two starters to pulled muscles and the QB breaks his hands trying to dive into the endzone but they do score 5 TD's  

Team B  Coach lines his players up, run it like a practice, calls the plays he thinks his guys need to see and work on those plays, gets the starters some reps but more importantly gets the new guys and back ups some play time and learning who fits and who dont.  They only score 1 TD but they all walk away healthy and he walks away knowing where he stands and what needs to happen now. 

Team A scored 5 TD and Team B only scored 1 TD, however the score board was never even turned on...tell me again who wins this scrimmage?

the team that ran across the goal line more smh...i'm not debating scrimmages should count etc....in a CHILDS mind(the players) regardless what you guys may think you know, coaches behind closed doors, will say words of encouragement... "way to kick nederland's arse boys!!!, now lets do it when it really counts when the season start"...no coach will look back on the season or players and say " we went 0-10, but hey we won that scrimmage!!" they know it doesn't count, but as a confidence builder for kids that never played a down of varsity, a new coach with a new scheme, to weed out who needs to start where(the players BETTER treat it like it matters), if anything, and for the kids that worked their tales off and improved dramatically over the summer,  it's a "kudos" that should be secreatly whispered or said behind closed doors..."you won the scrimmage, but it was practice and none of it means ANYTHING. you did a good job and the feeling you have now is the feeling you want to have after every game friday night"...okay knuckle heads, do you now see where i'm going?? everybody and their dead grandma knows scrimmages DON'T COUNT, but from the points i pointed out, they do.