there are winnners and losers!!!

the team that ran across the goal line more smh...i'm not debating scrimmages should count etc....in a CHILDS mind(the players) regardless what you guys may think you know, coaches behind closed doors, will say words of encouragement... "way to kick nederland's arse boys!!!, now lets do it when it really counts when the season start"...no coach will look back on the season or players and say " we went 0-10, but hey we won that scrimmage!!" they know it doesn't count, but as a confidence builder for kids that never played a down of varsity, a new coach with a new scheme, to weed out who needs to start where(the players BETTER treat it like it matters), if anything, and for the kids that worked their tales off and improved dramatically over the summer,  it's a "kudos" that should be secreatly whispered or said behind closed doors..."you won the scrimmage, but it was practice and none of it means ANYTHING. you did a good job and the feeling you have now is the feeling you want to have after every game friday night"...okay knuckle heads, do you now see where i'm going?? everybody and their dead grandma knows scrimmages DON'T COUNT, but from the points i pointed out, they do.

no I get it,  they can build your confidence, you can come out of a scrimmage feeling like you done better than the other team.  im all about the we just kicked their butt feeling

but

still no one wins a scrimmage and most of th time even it was played just like a game with refs, kicks, and game like experience...still not executing a game plan and its mostly played with backups and new kids.   so even if we did declare a winner...most of the time it just means our back ups are better than yours and that has very little merit to me on how a team looks or will perform this year

i understand all that, but as team, starters and backups you played well. our starters played against the other team, back ups versus backs ups..people scrimmage in all sports. what's different about basketball?? scores are kept, game don't count, but doesn't mean that team A that scored 90 and team b scored 50 didn't lose...heck yeah they lost. i take it literally a team wins and loses. my team crossed the goal more LITERALLY and that's what im talkng about. figuretivly speaking, you right nobody won, cause it don't count and is an evaluation.

It doesn't matter if it's balancing a spoon on your nose the longest, there is always a winner and a loser. Even if a coach isn't trying to win but trying plays that need work, there is still a winner and loser. It doesn't mean squat for the season but it does mean a winner and loser that day.

P.S. My team lost their first scrimmage but I'm not worried about the season, we are still 0-0.

To quote head WOS football coach Cornel Thompson in today's Beaumont Enterprise when talking about his team's performance in the Nederland scrimmage, he stated this:

"It's a scrimmage, a practice against strange faces," Thompson said. "Fumbling is unacceptable, but it is a practice. If it was a game, (Lapoint) wouldn't have got that far and he knows that.

Ahhhh... what does Cornel know about football anyway............

dayton doesn't scrimmage with coaches on the field. They have game like scrimmages with kickoffs punts penalties and yes a scoreboard game clock and 4 full quarters. The only difference I see between our scrimmages and a real game is the punts and kickoffs are not returned. Having said all that nobody wins a scrimmage even though it is odd to keep a scoreboard.

WO-s and Nederland kept score and the starters played at least 3 full qtrs.(left after 3)

I attended 3 scrimmages yesterday. No score was posted on the stadium scoreboard in any of those scrimmages. Yes, there were TD's scored in all of those scrimmages.

Too many things go on in scrimmages that do not happen in real games to even consider a winner or loser.

Until team records show wins and losses in scrimmages, it will remain "glorified" practices.

Agreed.

Such a stupid topic. :rolleyes:

To quote head WOS football coach Cornel Thompson in today's Beaumont Enterprise when talking about his team's performance in the Nederland scrimmage, he stated this:

"It's a scrimmage, a practice against strange faces," Thompson said. "Fumbling is unacceptable, but it is a practice. If it was a game, (Lapoint) wouldn't have got that far and he knows that.

Ahhhh... what does Cornel know about football anyway............

Exactly. In my opinion, a scrimmage is more of what plays work in what situations than scoring a TD. Example: (Coach sees a 3rd and 6 from the 15yrd line. He thinks to himself some teams we play we can shotgun and throw for the touchdown because they cant stop our offense. What about in the playoffs when we see alot better teams? Hmmm...well, this a scrimmage and were playing a playoff caliber team. Perfect time to just run a play to try to get a first down even though i know we can score. Also would like to see how that sophomore left tackle from JV can pull to the right side....)
Its more about situational awareness and developing players than scoring touchdowns. Playing against another team with real time strategy cant be duplicated in practice running off "X&O" cards.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Y'all take the word "Win" to literally. A win can be when a receiver gets a step on the defender and catches a 20 yard pass, the receiver won that play. Everybody and their brother knows a scrimmage doesn't count for anything towards the season. The word "win" can be used in different context other than the record for the season.

i know this is an old topic, but i get tired of people saying there is no winner in a scrimmage. BULLCRAP!!! anytime some type score is kept, there is a winner and a loser. if a full game scrimmage is played, team A scored 5 times and made extra points, that's 35 and team B scored twice and made xp, that's 14. winner and loser. now, it doesn't mean anything. doesn't mean you are going to win state and it doesn't mean you will suck. it shows where you need to polish and see who's better at what position. depending on the scrimmage, if it's a full game, i look at it like a NFL preseason game. you have full contact, with refs, game clock. doesn't count, but it's a WINNER and a LOSER. try telling some of those kids that they didn't "win" a scrimmage when they cleary scored more and dominated. if anything, it might build confidence in a young qb or a skill position player on varsity for the first time. these scrimmages count!! just not in the books.

finding it funny as we get closer to game time, people are using scrimmages as measuring sticks smh lol

Smdh... that you started this thread about "scrimmages", c'mon man, "scrimmages"! Winners/losers, who cares!! Want to talk about how players look, strong areas of teams, weak areas of team, OK, but winners/losers, it's a scrimmage!! Smdh twice!!

Like Broncopride said, the Dayton v. Friendswood scrimmage was played like a game -- no coaches on the field, not red jerseys, etc -- so you could declare a winner and a loser.  However, I agree in principal with the idea that in most scrimmages there is no winner or loser.

Its not just Dayton and Friendswood that does "scrimmages" like this. Its still a scrimmage !

was saving this to see if anyone would bring it up,so here goes....for those teams that do spring games like PAM and others that do them and don't tell anyone cough cough, it's a "practice game". the same rules apply in a scrimmage, but there is a WINNER!!!  in college, when UT,TAMU, or any college have a spring game, it's a practice game with in the team. that's why you here "texas spring game played today with the orange team beating the white team"...so, if it's a winner/loser declared when it's the team practing a game between each other, why in the heck is it not possible to declare a winner/loser when you playing another school in  a practice game???

now for you dingle berries that want to get cute, in a controlled scrimmage, imo it should be run or even looked at how the nfl in the preseason, practice against othr teams. no td's are scored.they run plays. which sounds alot like how a controlled scrimmage is run for the most part. in that case, it is no winners or losers, but when you play the WHOLE scrimmage like a GAME, you have a winner and loser.

Even preseason NFL games don't count. Not really.. They keep score, but how they go has no bearing on the overall record.

This really is a silly discussion.

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!! THEY DON'T COUNT, BUT THERE IS A WINNER AND A LOSER!!! not saying they mean anything, they count, or it matters, just that it's a winner and loser...PERIOD

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!! THEY DON'T COUNT, BUT THERE IS A WINNER AND A LOSER!!! not saying they mean anything, they count, or it matters, just that it's a winner and loser...PERIOD

But it's everybody's 2nd and 3rd string playing against each other. Starters don't play the whole time, and there is no game plan. So who cares...

Just like in a scrimmage. What you see is not what you'll see in real games. So what difference does it make who scows more times

Even preseason NFL games don't count. Not really.. They keep score, but how they go has no bearing on the overall record.

no bearing on the season but Vegas does give odds and take bets on those games. So there has to be a winner. I don't think the case was trying to be made the games count towards your record. I will admit that scrimmages don't count but when you have a scoreboard that shows one team with more points. I would say one team won.

no bearing on the season but Vegas does give odds and take bets on those games. So there has to be a winner. I don't think the case was trying to be made the games count towards your record. I will admit that scrimmages don't count but when you have a scoreboard that shows one team with more points. I would say one team won.

Youre right but name something that you cant bet on in Vegas.

Just wait until next year in 2015 when we will have DO SCRIMMAGES COUNT TOPIC XII.