Best Decade to watch sports in SETX?

Other than playing in the '90s during some of WOS best years(dang LaMarque) I would have to say the late '80s. Being a kid and my parents dragging me to all the WOS state runs and watching my sister as a filly(drill team) is a special memory for me.

Other than playing in the '90s during some of WOS best years(dang LaMarque) I would have to say the late '80s. Being a kid and my parents dragging me to all the WOS state runs and watching my sister as a filly(drill team) is a special memory for me.

Yes, Kicker, it was an honor to be a part of that team like I did! Heck, I was a part of the State Finalist team back in 2000 and very thankful for that! We didn't win but we were someone greater than ourselves! We were true Champions! We never went down without a fight! Ennis scored on every possession in the first half being down by 31 at halftime. But we came back playing like we were supposed to in the second half but wasn't enough! We are still someone greater than ourselves!

For me it is the 80's as we had many teams win state championships during that decade:

Football:  In the 80's, West Brook (5A in 1982), Beaumont French (5A co-champ in 1984), Burkeville (1986 in 1A), West Orange-Stark (1986 and 1987 in 4A), Corrigan-Camden (2A in 1988) and Groveton (2A in 1989) all won state football titles.  Port Arthur Jeffferson (1980 in 5A), Groveton (1983 and 1985 in 2A) and West Orange-Stark (4A in 1989) were state runner ups.

Baseball: During the 80's, Colmesneil had 3 1A (or B) championships (1980, 1985, 1986).  Thomas Jefferson won the 5A crown in 1983 and San Augustine took the 3A title in 1987.  West Sabine (2A in 1982), High Island (1A in 1987) and San Augustine (3A in 1990) all made appearances in the state championship games.

Boy's Basketball: Beaumont Hebert (4A in 1980 and 1981) won 2 titles during that decade.  Port Arthur Lincoln (5A in 1980, 1983, 1987, 1988 in 4A) won 5.  For those that include La Porte in our area, the took the 5A title in 1986.  Hardin-Jefferson (3A in 1983) made a state finals appearance.

Girl's Basketball: During that decade, Barbers Hill (1981, 1982) and Hardin-Jefferson (1985 and 1988 in 3A) each won 2 state titles.  Hardin-Jefferson (1987 in 3A) and Colmesneil (1980 in 1A) were state runner ups.

The 80's were a darn good decade for SETX sports.

For me it is the 80's as we had many teams win state championships during that decade:

Football: In the 80's, West Brook (5A in 1982), Beaumont French (5A co-champ in 1984), Burkeville (1986 in 1A), West Orange-Stark (1986 and 1987 in 4A), Corrigan-Camden (2A in 1988) and Groveton (2A in 1989) all won state football titles. Port Arthur Jeffferson (1980 in 5A), Groveton (1983 and 1985 in 2A) and West Orange-Stark (4A in 1989) were state runner ups.

Baseball: During the 80's, Colmesneil had 3 1A (or B) championships (1980, 1985, 1986). Thomas Jefferson won the 5A crown in 1983 and San Augustine took the 3A title in 1987. West Sabine (2A in 1982), High Island (1A in 1987) and San Augustine (3A in 1990) all made appearances in the state championship games.

Boy's Basketball: Beaumont Hebert (4A in 1980 and 1981) won 2 titles during that decade. Port Arthur Lincoln (5A in 1980, 1983, 1987, 1988 in 4A) won 5. For those that include La Porte in our area, the took the 5A title in 1986. Hardin-Jefferson (3A in 1983) made a state finals appearance.

Girl's Basketball: During that decade, Barbers Hill (1981, 1982) and Hardin-Jefferson (1985 and 1988 in 3A) each won 2 state titles. Hardin-Jefferson (1987 in 3A) and Colmesneil (1980 in 1A) were state runner ups.

The 80's were a darn good decade for SETX sports.

Hardin-Jefferson won a State title in boys basketball back in '91.

Hardin-Jefferson won a State title in boys basketball back in '91.

But he was arguing for the 80s.
As a PA SFA alumn, the 80s where some good years. Went to a couple Semifinals in 86 & 88 in football and had a pretty good basketball run in 88 & 89. Unlike any other time in SFA history or short future.

I know the sfa team in 1983 lost to i think sweeny 6-6 on penetrations in the semifinals , the 1985 team lost in regionals to van vleck 10-6 and the 1986 team lost in the semis against cuero (r strait) 34-6 . They had really good teams especially on defense . I talk to the rb of the 1986 team daily my man AG real good dude . He says the 1983 team was the best sfa team ever !!

i will stick to football since this is a "football form . i will agree with the 80's (having played in the mid 80's in the area ) but i give a big shout out to when it really kicked off imo was  the 1970's . in 1974 -1977 was there a better team than png in the area or state ? they won 4 district titles ,4 bi district titles , 4 regional titles , 4 qtr finals titles,  2 semi finals titles and 1 state title . they had the best running back in the state in 1971-1972 in jeff bergeron and no losing record in the 70's and just missing the playoffs (district champs represented in the playoffs ) in 70,71 and 72 . beaumont hebert won it all in 1976 and in 1979 would lose in the semis to bay city . then you had newton that won it all in 1974 the 1st of their 3 titles and continues to be a powerhouse in 2a ball in the state till this day  . bob west starts the pa super team football team in 1972 that would show case the best of the best players in setx and in the late 1970's the beaumont super gold team was established as well . The area even had hamshire fannett  in 1975 make it too the semi finals game against lagrange  and was within a dropped winning touchdown pass of getting to the state finals game . the area and that decade produced 3 consecutive state football championships   1974 newton (2-A)  , 1975 png( 4-A) , 1976 hebert (3-A)   . the 1970's wasnt too shabby 

I think I have to vote for the 80s as well if we are talking about Southeast Texas as a whole. There were SO many teams at every level ranked high in the state and going deep into the playoffs when we weren't sending half the district like we do now. We had several players have pretty good NFL careers. In general, high school football games seemed more like events more so then than now.

@ WOS grad

Don't forget the 3 consecutive Hardin Hornets Girls State championship titles in the early 80's.

I think they made 4 appearances, and was runner up the 4th year, 1980-1983 I believe.

I heard one of the guards on the Hardin Team in the early 80's was more talented than Teresa Weatherspoon, but was hampered with knee injuries to my knowledge.

1990's when PN-G and Nederland were powerhouses at the same time......DOUBLEHEADERS IN THE DOME........that was some good times!!!!!

That was only late 90's. Like 98 & 99. Most of Nederlands runs were in the early 2000's and outside of 89 & 99 PNG didnt go deep in the playoffs often.
Also not alot of other teams making deep runs in FB. Lincoln did its usual thing in BBall. The PNG graduating class of 2000 did play for state titles in Football and Baseball.

I was coached by Jeff Bergeron  ,my junior year. That man hated me with a passion, he hated to loose. There was no answer for that in his eyes. I didn't have the pleasure of seeing him play, but worked with several people from Lincoln that played against him said he was a beast. Evidently he could run like the wind back in the day. But back to the topic I think besides the70's the 80's was the decade for this area, although I did enjoy our playoff run in 99-00 always wanted to see my team in the state championship and it didn't end the way I wanted to but it was still very memorable. Art Briles and his son were on the same page. His boy did some amazing things in that game.

But he was arguing for the 80s.
As a PA SFA alumn, the 80s where some good years. Went to a couple Semifinals in 86 & 88 in football and had a pretty good basketball run in 88 & 89. Unlike any other time in SFA history or short future.

Semi's in '83 and '86.  Undefeated regular season in '94

Those girls on that Hardin team were all high draft pick (WNBA) players. I believe 3 of the starting 5 were sister/cousin combinations. The Reescano girls left one heck of a legacy at Hardin, for girls basketball. I had heard that Lola Reescano was hands down one of the greatest female athletes from the entire area back then. They say that they ran smooth through the playoffs without being in a close game in 3 consecutive years. I'm not sure that's ever happened anywhere, in the state ?