DCTF 22-5A Predictions

​I actually like PNG to win the district this year. I saw Dayton put 56 on PNG with a wide receiver playing qb in bi-district last year, that would've probably been 70 had he been playing in position so I'm not real sure why PNG folks think the is going to be that much greater. It's like I was trying to tell the Dayton folks last year when they had like 8 starters back on D. If they were soft last year then they'll probably be soft again, and they pretty much were. That being said, with Central and Ned losing the playmakers they did and Morse coming back it's hard not to look at PNG as the favorite.

Can't blame it all on soft,we beat Crosby in every category except scoreboard,where coach playcallin cost Dayta overtime win (1)1st qtr 4th down fake=McBride pitch to Baughman(visa-versa would have prolly worked(2)don't give McBride the ball till 4th and 7 to tie game w/xpt to follow (3)Dayt only team to score 35 pts on Crosby till semi-finals.Yeah in 4 yrs.we lost 2 O/C ,1 D/C, 2 coaches gone,another to NC & Stew bout to retire,but talent is not a problem=jv won dist championship 2014 lol

Edited by liltex
add content

Can't blame it all on soft,we beat Crosby in every category except scoreboard,where coach playcallin cost Dayta overtime win (1)1st qtr 4th down fake=McBride pitch to Baughman(visa-versa would have prolly worked(2)don't give McBride the ball till 4th and 7 to tie game w/xpt to follow (3)Dayt only team to score 35 pts on Crosby till semi-finals.Yeah we lost 2 O/C ,1 D/C, 2 coaches gone,another to NC & Stew bout to retire,but talent is not a problem=jv won dist championship lol

​I guess it all depends on how you look at it? Never denied the fact that Dayton could put points on the board. When I say soft I meant a freshman and sophomore rbs combining for 23 carries/225 yards and 5 tds including a 15 yard heart-breaker right up the middle by Grace in OT. That's nearly 10 ypc vs the 4 ypc Dayton averaged on Crosby's defense with McBride doing work. The call to give McBride was the right call, you win or lose with the ball in your best player's hands. Just be thankful it even got to OT after the Crosby db made a good play to tip it away but a Bronco happened to be there to catch the rebound. Dayton had already given up over 1000 rushing yards the first three games of the season, then ended the season giving up 396 rushing yards to Angleton who barely cracked 150 on 44 carries against Crosby. No matter how much you score it's extremely hard to win games that way.

I don't put much stock in JV because most of your studs never play there. For instance, Crosby will only start one kid on offense that played JV last year after he transferred in. All that being said, Crosby still beat Dayton at the JV level last year. I think from 7thA-varsity the freshman squad was the only one to lose which is probably misleading because Williams was putting over 140 on Dayton's varsity that Friday night.

​I guess it all depends on how you look at it? Never denied the fact that Dayton could put points on the board. When I say soft I meant a freshman and sophomore rbs combining for 23 carries/225 yards and 5 tds including a 15 yard heart-breaker right up the middle by Grace in OT. That's nearly 10 ypc vs the 4 ypc Dayton averaged on Crosby's defense with McBride doing work. The call to give McBride was the right call, you win or lose with the ball in your best player's hands. Just be thankful it even got to OT after the Crosby db made a good play to tip it away but a Bronco happened to be there to catch the rebound. Dayton had already given up over 1000 rushing yards the first three games of the season, then ended the season giving up 396 rushing yards to Angleton who barely cracked 150 on 44 carries against Crosby. No matter how much you score it's extremely hard to win games that way.

I don't put much stock in JV because most of your studs never play there. For instance, Crosby will only start one kid on offense that played JV last year after he transferred in. All that being said, Crosby still beat Dayton at the JV level last year. I think from 7thA-varsity the freshman squad was the only one to lose which is probably misleading because Williams was putting over 140 on Dayton's varsity that Friday night.

​FYI total yds Dayt 483 Crosby 448 **Note others=KWP 363,King 472,Brenham 312,Hutto 509,Cedar Park 420(no others had more) =Only Hutto had 26 more yds than Dayt & that happened@Coogs house w/o no Dayt kids getting fb scholly,your turn@Dayt 2015

When I look at PN-G defenses it's not a coaching issue I see. They usually lack size and speed. In our local district it isn't as exposed as in the playoffs. 22-5A(old 20-4A) has been down as whole and gets exposed in the postseason. Hopefully things change for all teams.

​Agreed Ash, our D-line and LB's have been tiny compared to other years for some time. Plus we haven't had a hard hitting Safety for many years.

When I look at PN-G defenses it's not a coaching issue I see. They usually lack size and speed. In our local district it isn't as exposed as in the playoffs. 22-5A(old 20-4A) has been down as whole and gets exposed in the postseason. Hopefully things change for all teams.

​That goes to the Don Price line on his way out at BH; It's not always about the x's and o's, sometimes it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's. Those kids haven't there lately, which is what PNG folks have to understand no matter what they have coming back on that side of the ball. Optimism is fine, blind faith is quite another thing.

​More like smokin' pot.

Just keep countin' dem Patriots out. You boys gonna be sadder than Drake on a mix tape.

​I actually have GCM finishing runner-up to PNG. As long as Adams stays healthy I think GCM can power their way to a playoff spot in that district next year.

​I actually have GCM finishing runner-up to PNG. As long as Adams stays healthy I think GCM can power their way to a playoff spot in that district next year.

That quote shows me how little you really know about 22-5A and especially what's going on at 88 Jaguar drive...

Ok. So I let all the rah rahs make predictions... Now the truth. The district will once again be weak this year just as last.  Nederland might be down, however they will get in the playoffs, due to the fact they play tough, light you up defense. And that always slows a finesse offense.. That's a guarantee.  Central will be dangerous as usual, sub par coaching, with well above average athletes.  Speed all over the field. Lumberton, well they are Lumberton.. PN-G has many holes to fill.  I think offensively we will be ok.  But hate on me if you want... Defense will be soft once again, you don't toughen up with the practices we hold.  I do think we will be better in the secondary. From what I saw last year it will be more of the same. Now that being said, I still put PNG, Nederland, and Central in. GCM and Vidor maybe a 4th.  I do hope someone makes it out of the first round, I think PN-G and Central have the potential if put in the right situation. And I will never count Neumann out.  

Ok. So I let all the rah rahs make predictions... Now the truth. The district will once again be weak this year just as last.  Nederland might be down, however they will get in the playoffs, due to the fact they play tough, light you up defense. And that always slows a finesse offense.. That's a guarantee.  Central will be dangerous as usual, sub par coaching, with well above average athletes.  Speed all over the field. Lumberton, well they are Lumberton.. PN-G has many holes to fill.  I think offensively we will be ok.  But hate on me if you want... Defense will be soft once again, you don't toughen up with the practices we hold.  I do think we will be better in the secondary. From what I saw last year it will be more of the same. Now that being said, I still put PNG, Nederland, and Central in. GCM and Vidor maybe a 4th.  I do hope someone makes it out of the first round, I think PN-G and Central have the potential if put in the right situation. And I will never count Neumann out.  

​I agree with your assessment besides I think the 4th spot comes down to GC-M, Vidor and Ozen.  Central season and playoffs comes down to the QB play of either the Senior (Hopkins) or Junior (Boudreaux), whichever Foreman gives the nod to.  The run game will be the early season strength on offense with Whaley until the passing game comes around.  Whichever QB is chosen, he will have a good crop of receivers to throw to.  If I have a concern, its the defense...

In fairness to Forman, it's easy to second guess everything he does from the stands.  As for the playoffs, he has faced Summer Creek and C.E. King, both district champs at those respective times.  I personally think the district comes down to Central and PN-G this year, too bad it's at the Reservation...   

One of the major factors I rate a team on coming into the season is how much football the qb has played. PNG's qb has played a bunch and Myles Duke coming back paired with Adams is probably going to be the best 1/2 rushing combo in that district which is why I like them at the top. I saw Central down by 40 after three quarters to King with Jaquet AND Whaley, Seals, Locke, etc. I truly wonder if Central would've made the playoffs in our district with all the talent they had, KP finished fourth and beat Ned? I like Ned, Central and Ozen to compete for the last two spots but they all have question marks at the qb spot.