How many select softball teams are in setx?

MomSoftball

Find an Organization that fits ALL your needs and remember by the time the player
is in 8th grade they better be playing with a group that takes care of their business
on the recruiting side and play in the correct type of tournaments if they plan
on playing college softball. D1 Schools are committing players earlier and earlier.
Talked to A&M not to long ago and they were looking at 7th graders.
D2, D3, NAIA and JUCO, you have a little more time but not much.
Again.....Make sure you do your research and find the BEST fit.

ALL IN, as an update, Houston Power is expanding slowly in the Beaumont Area, but on purpose.  We now have two teams in Beaumont (Golden Triangle Area).  The entire Houston Power Organization (all in) only has 9 teams in total - 12U to 18U Gold.  So it is a small, but well controlled organization, and Nationally recognized.  In Beaumont, we have a 16U Team and now a 14U team (newly added).  Darren Swisher manages the 16U Team, and Jeff Boudreaux manages the 14U Team.   Both teams are coached by prior Division 1 players/current coaches.

Courtney Rhodus is the Head Coach (16U and 14U)  - Team Manager of Lamar University Softball.

Candyce Carter is an Assistant Coach (16U and 14U) - Two time Team Captain of Lamar University Softball, Power Alumni, and future University of Arkansas Coach.

Sonny Overstreet is an Assistant Coach on 16U - Stephen F. Austin University Baseball Alum.

I agree with what has been stated above.  Find what fits.   You may watch our practice and think what we do is not a fit for your daughter.  They will get pushed very hard (mentally and physically).  Conversely it may be exactly what you want as they will be well prep'd to handle the same at college ball.   I have four daughters myself and all are different, and not all are a fit for what HP does. So I'm a believer of testing all the opportunities available, then make a decision that fits your daughter the best.

As far as recruiting goes, folks can check out www.houstonsoftball.com and see what we have accomplished.

At the end of the day, and what I believe the most, she has to enjoy what she's doing to stay in the game and maximize her potential.  Keep checking teams out and you'll find the right fit. 

There are a number of teams out of SWLA also. If you are looking for a team for your daughter I would recomend being a pick up player since most rosters are full right now. When it comes to fall I would go to every tryout I see posted and hear about. Just remember the coaches are trying out for you as well as your daughter trying out for them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    timebe
    Newest Member
    timebe

• I am out of VOTES, but I will give a BIG AMEN!!!!
    • You start opening fire and drop about 10 or 12 of these protesting morons it will break up pretty quick.    This ties in with killing the chicken killing dog.
    • This is an easy one. We have let grifter unqualified coaches infiltrate our children and convince them that they will be D1 athletes if they only focus on a single sport. We've got kids, with single digit ages, playing their sport year-round to "maximize exposure" despite the fact that most college coaches on the recruiting trail will value a multisport athlete. This translates to the school year and ends up with kids being football, basketball, baseball only kids. Track is pretty much the only one left that keeps kids playing other sports and that's primarily because football coaches demand their football kids be track athletes. I literally talked to a man last night, who just moved to Texas from Oklahoma who was telling me his kid played on two different football teams during the season last year. One for his school, one for his select league. During the week the kid was a RB for his school, and on the weekends, he was a QB for his select team. This would equal 7 days a week of full contact football for a 6th grader......6th grader. Once that ends, rolls straight into 7 on 7 for the spring and back to football in the summer. All this for a kid, who seems to be a good athlete, but probably has a ceiling of D2 at best, if he doesn't burn out before that. Parents are silly and think they can develop their kids into being the next Quinn Ewers, but they completely miss the biggest factor in creating that type of athlete.....genetics. Genetics are undefeated. Always have been, always will be. Play sports because you love to compete then compete in everything you do. Quit giving bullsheet rings to "state champions" every single weekend all over the US and get back to valuing team championships won at the community level to build the continuity when they are young. This is the only way to reestablish the pride once felt by every kid in every town across Texas when they got to put on a uniform with their school colors. Otherwise, we can kiss the magic of high school sports goodbye. 
    • We are proud for sure! It was a great game!
    • I hear you but I don't think this is going to ding her political career as much as some think, especially in SD.  
  • Topics