"REALLY" - NEDERLAND - "ONLY 2"

MAYFIELD

Oh, got to get with it I guess. I think this turned a bit from the original conversation. The folks here in Crosby are excited because we have a staff that is working their tails off to get these kids looks they may not have had. There are some bad stories out there from years past. Also don't assume that because we are excited about that that these kids aren't performing in the classroom or the parents aren't sending video out. Remember though that there are some that simply don't have the resources and opportunities as others.

University of Nebraska gives 4 year schollys.  If you a N then you are there for 4 years.  but thats not the point we are trying to make here.

Big Red gives one year renewable schollys. My little cousin plays there. Told him if the was not the player they thought he was they would still honor his scholly for five years. (Has to keep an 2.0)

See this is the harsh reality about MOST winning programs such as Nederland WOS etc. Who is it really about? The coach/school or the players? Cause in reality the coach and the school is the only one who benefits from winning. Which is essentially more important having your team win a district championship or have your kids go on to get a free education?

Take a program like Ozen and Nederland for instance, Nederland goes undefeated but only signs 2 players. However Ozen only wins 3 games, don't make the playoffs but sign 10 players. So which program do you really considered to be more successful? 

Big Red gives one year renewable schollys. My little cousin plays there. Told him if the was not the player they thought he was they would still honor his scholly for five years. (Has to keep an 2.0)

Every year, someone claims that such and such guarantees 4 or 5 years.  And every year it is explained that it is wrong.  If you continue to progress, keep your nose clean, stay eligible, etc, they are not going to take you off scholarship.  But if you don't fulfill your end of bargain, your "contract" will not be renewed.  It is an annual renewal but it's never talked about, unless it needs to be. 

kinda have to agree, kids have to hit as many camps as they can, best way to get noticed. cant rely on coaches for this , kids and kids parents need to do the leg work in that. but there are some coaches who go above and beyond, but for the most point it relies on the parents and kids. you cant put stock into being successful based on how many players get scholarships vs who won the most games and judge that as being succussful. Take Ned and Ozen, Ned highly successful program, playoffs in and out just about every year . Ozen well not so successful. who is to judge whether or not the more successful program is , do you go by playoff appearances or scholarship awardees. my opinion is who is playing after district in my books, i go with win %s vs scholarships. but if you are getting those schollies even though you are not that successful does mean something is being done. win win in my book.

See this is the harsh reality about MOST winning programs such as Nederland WOS etc. Who is it really about? The coach/school or the players? Cause in reality the coach and the school is the only one who benefits from winning. Which is essentially more important having your team win a district championship or have your kids go on to get a free education?

Take a program like Ozen and Nederland for instance, Nederland goes undefeated but only signs 2 players. However Ozen only wins 3 games, don't make the playoffs but sign 10 players. So which program do you really considered to be more successful? 

Nederland it the better 'program' but Ozen has more kids that are scholarship material.

Every year, someone claims that such and such guarantees 4 or 5 years.  And every year it is explained that it is wrong.  If you continue to progress, keep your nose clean, stay eligible, etc, they are not going to take you off scholarship.  But if you don't fulfill your end of bargain, your "contract" will not be renewed.  It is an annual renewal but it's never talked about, unless it needs to be.

Not true at all.

Which program do I consider more successful? Easy, Nederland. Always said put the Nederland coaching staff in front of an Ozen team who had 10 D1 players on it and Ozen wins state. People just can't grasp just how good our coaching staff makes our players. We don't have 10 D1 players at Nederland but the boys play team ball. They play for each other not for themselves to get a college chance. So I consider Nederland more successful.

Nederland

I don't think that is it at all.  Rather, it's not the responsibility of a coach or teacher to make sure my child has a college education or scholarship. That is on me and my child.

I do think it VERY important that a high school coach teach my child to be a team player, work hard, have respect, have school pride and work toward a goal in whatever sport and those things do lead to winning.  I DON'T think a teacher has the responsibility to get my child an academic scholarship either.  

Nothing in life is free that's worthwhile, and if you ask anyone who has received an athletic/academic scholarship, it takes work to keep it. (But not everyone has the ability or potential to get an athletic scholarship). So if they have those tools and work ethics that the coaches helped developed (let's hope I did my part, too), then they should be able to maintain those scholarships and complete their education. 

Ok so you guys basically saying that you rather kids win a football game than get a free college education? Smh

I don't think they are saying that. I think they are saying if you put Nederlands coaches at Ozen, you guys might have played into December last year. Overall you have to say Nederlands program is more successful. Haven't lost a game in district in how long?

In my opinion Nederland is nearly always less athletic than Ozen, however I think Nederland is far superior In coaching.  College coaches are looking for Athletic ability.  They have no interest in your teams record.  Ozen sucks because of a lack of discipline and lackluster coaching.  When Ozen gets the coaching they will go far!!!!  

You guys are missing my point here...coaches do play a major role in the players getting recruited actually who do you think is the first person to talk to coaches when they call about a kid? The head coach, when they come to the school to watch players they talk to all of the coaches and get their perspective on a kid. It is a coaches job to try and get his kids athletic scholarships, when I was in school my coach made tapes etc and sent them out for players. But my point is what is a high school program about? is it about was better for the program or whats better for the kids in the program? I believe that on any level its about doing whats best for the kids which as putting them in positions to be able to earn a scholarship. Many coaches will play a kid out of position for the better of the program, but is that really giving that kid a chance to play at the next level. So Nederlands fan i propose this question again who's really more successful a team like Ozen who just gave 10 kids most who probably came from rough upbringings a chance to further their education while playing the sport they love or winning district championships every year and signing 2 players? 

HS  Coaches do give input about a player IF college is interested but that is a fraction of what is considered in evaluating a potential college player.  Colleges have too much at risk not do a full evaluation on a player.  Bubba's word is not enough.  

HS football is about developing the kid into a man.  Many players in college play a different position than they did in high school just because of the ability, size, speed of the athlete.  Ozen has faster, stronger, bigger players than Nederland, sad to say that they don't win more in hs because they have the tools.  IF you have 5'9" players whipping up on some big guys, then yes, Nederland is more successful. 

You guys are missing my point here...coaches do play a major role in the players getting recruited actually who do you think is the first person to talk to coaches when they call about a kid? The head coach, when they come to the school to watch players they talk to all of the coaches and get their perspective on a kid. It is a coaches job to try and get his kids athletic scholarships, when I was in school my coach made tapes etc and sent them out for players. But my point is what is a high school program about? is it about was better for the program or whats better for the kids in the program? I believe that on any level its about doing whats best for the kids which as putting them in positions to be able to earn a scholarship. Many coaches will play a kid out of position for the better of the program, but is that really giving that kid a chance to play at the next level. So Nederlands fan i propose this question again who's really more successful a team like Ozen who just gave 10 kids most who probably came from rough upbringings a chance to further their education while playing the sport they love or winning district championships every year and signing 2 players? 

Thank You- these coaches are making a very good living off what these kids are buying into, to say that coaches shouldn't help their players achieve the next level if he has the means is "BS". I hope alot of kids and parents are reading this to understand that in this time of life the saying is, What have you done for me lately and what you plan on doing later. This program is said to see because for years this program has been great, just think maybe a kid appreciate just the thought of you helping, even if the talent isn't next level consideration.

Ozen!!

Thank You- these coaches are making a very good living off what these kids are buying into, to say that coaches shouldn't help their players achieve the next level if he has the means is "BS". I hope alot of kids and parents are reading this to understand that in this time of life the saying is, What have you done for me lately and what you plan on doing later. This program is said to see because for years this program has been great, just think maybe a kid appreciate just the thought of you helping, even if the talent isn't next level consideration.

yEP!!

So the idea behind high school football is to get a handfull of athletes to the next level, that's it, the hell with TEAM WORK. It's the ME FIRST mentality that keeps alot of these schools from having a good program that helps ALL the kids develope into responsible adults. This whole conversation is "BS", 99% of these kids won't play college football, but you think the program should be there to help the 1% that might have the tools to make it playing college football, the school doesn't owe you anything, you play because you want to.