Louisiana Non-Resident

vhs

Okay, I've heard a lot of different opinions on this topic and I thought I'd pose the question on this board for anyone with a definitive answer. 

The question deals with the use of La Non-Resident License.

If I have a non-resident license and I launch in Texas and keep Texas limits am I free to fish in La waters?  I'm not interested in driving to La to launch, and the size/ bag limits aren't what I'm after.  I just want to be able to go up in the La bayous and fish. 

Does anyone know for sure what the rule is here?  Am I required to launch in La. even if I am fishing Texas limits?

You can NOT fish anywhere, don't go in any bayou or cuts on the La shoreline in the lake, >in< Chennier and the cut N of it is considered La water, on the N end >East Pass< is La water also. I have been checked while just outside the mouth of Willow bayou, the La. GW asked for lisc, said it didn't matter which lisc BUT if I was 10' farther into the bayou I would have to have La lisc . I have heard some La GWs require you to have La lisc for the La side (inside) the jetties, but others do not, if I ever get checked inside on the La side I will show my Tx lisc even tho I carry a La lisc, Tx GWs will tell you its legal to fish anywhere inside with ether lisc

Okay, I've heard a lot of different opinions on this topic and I thought I'd pose the question on this board for anyone with a definitive answer. 

If I have a non-resident license and I launch in Texas and keep Texas limits am I free to fish in La waters?  I'm not interested in driving to La to launch, and the size/ bag limits aren't what I'm after.  I just want to be able to go up in the La bayous and fish. 

Does anyone know for sure what the rule is here?  Am I required to launch in La. even if I am fishing Texas limits?

Texas launch -  Texas limits

Fish anywhere

LA license fish anywhere!

You can NOT fish anywhere, don't go in any bayou or cuts on the La shoreline in the lake, >in< Chennier and the cut N of it is considered La water, on the N end >East Pass< is La water also. I have been checked while just outside the mouth of Willow bayou, the La. GW asked for lisc, said it didn't matter which lisc BUT if I was 10' farther into the bayou I would have to have La lisc . I have heard some La GWs require you to have La lisc for the La side (inside) the jetties, but others do not, if I ever get checked inside on the La side I will show my Tx lisc even tho I carry a La lisc, Tx GWs will tell you its legal to fish anywhere inside with ether lisc

TX and LA have a boundary water agreement. It deals with common stream channels like rivers and bordering lakes. The jetties are not within that agreement as they are not part of the boundary waters. Once you get past the points of land and into the open Gulf, you are no longer covered by the agreement. The jetties are many made structures and not part of those boundaries. 

A game warden within his discretion can choose not to cite someone for fishing inside of the jetties however that does not prevent them from doing so. 

You can legally fish if you have a license for the location where you launch. If you launch in TX to fish then you must have a TX license. If you launch in LA to fish then you need a LA license. 

Under both licenses you can fish the common boundary waters. 

I have a suspicion that LA might be about to make a good bit of money if TPWD passes their newest proposal to limit specks to 5 with a 16" (or larger) minimum. I think that many might simply go ahead and spend for the LA NR license and drive across the causeway bridge and be open to a 15 fish limit with a 12" minimum. 

Another thing about Tx and La water, DONT bring La sized fish in Tx water PERIOD and don't bring a Tx sized fish into La water..by this I mean don't take a La. sized or limit into Tx and don't bring 2 27 1/2 reds into La water and it DON'T matter where you put in.  

I want to make sure I am clear.  I have both Tx/ La license.  I launch in Texas.  I can fish anywhere on the lake.  I can go in the La. bayous on East side of lake as long as I keep Texas limits and abide by the La Redfish rule of no more than one red over 27.... Correct?  I am not worried about the Jetty question.  I stick to the lake.  I hate trailering all the way to Pleasure Island or Sabine Pass.