Bridge City football gets a bad break

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1414831" timestamp="1371735186"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=112641.msg1414821#msg1414821 date=1371734181]
OUCH! now that is a sucky way to go out... Prayers for a speedy recovery and healthy return to life... Is he a Sr?
[/quote]

Yes, he will be a senior.
[/quote]

UUGGHHHH that hurt my heart....

[quote name="johnnyarm" post="1415100" timestamp="1371818745"]
I heard yesterday that the potential starting QB Chase Shugart has decided not to play football this season and focus on Baseball. Hearing that Byron Trahan the in coming freshman will be up for the job. He is a very good athlete.
[/quote]

Not putting the young man down - I don't even know him - but, doesn't "In coming freshman" speak volumes.  So he has Pee Wee experience and on up thru the 8th grade experience?  If a program is forced to put their field generalship in the hands of an incoming freshman then that program is in trouble no matter how good an athlete the in coming freshman is.  And, the experience of that potential disaster could ruin a
potentially great athlete for the rest of his
career.  Just a realistic observation. :(

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1415134" timestamp="1371829434"]
[quote author=johnnyarm link=topic=112641.msg1415100#msg1415100 date=1371818745]
I heard yesterday that the potential starting QB Chase Shugart has decided not to play football this season and focus on Baseball. Hearing that Byron Trahan the in coming freshman will be up for the job. He is a very good athlete.
[/quote]

Not putting the young man down - I don't even know him - but, doesn't "In coming freshman" speak volumes.  So he has Pee Wee experience and on up thru the 8th grade experience?  If a program is forced to put their field generalship in the hands of an incoming freshman then that program is in trouble no matter how good an athlete the in coming freshman is.  And, [b]the experience of that potential disaster could ruin a
career. [/b] Just a realistic observation. :(
[/quote]

or make him drive harder to make the program be better... if he can come in and pull off a win or two or more he will be better for it... sometimes adversity makes a person strive to change it... if he is an athlete... I think he would look adversity in the face and kick dirt at it... :-D

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1415158" timestamp="1371833401"]
Freshman varsity qbs are not too uncommon on the small school ranks. The first yr may be a down yr if the rest of the team isnt quite up to par. If the kid plays i hope BC has a running game in place.
[/quote]

When you have to replace 1 position its rough but can be worked around... but when you lose two key players in two key positions RB and QB that's a hard row to hoe... especially if you use a Fresh at QB... just no continuity with the jrs and srs on the field... not that it can't be achieved but still a rough patch.. .

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1415172" timestamp="1371834505"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=112641.msg1415158#msg1415158 date=1371833401]
Freshman varsity qbs are not too uncommon on the small school ranks. The first yr may be a down yr if the rest of the team isnt quite up to par. If the kid plays i hope BC has a running game in place.
[/quote]

When you have to replace 1 position its rough but can be worked around... but when you lose two key players in two key positions RB and QB that's a hard row to hoe... especially if you use a Fresh at QB... just no continuity with the jrs and srs on the field... not that it can't be achieved but still a rough patch.. .
[/quote]

Both Hunter and Shugart were starters on defense too.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1415185" timestamp="1371835899"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=112641.msg1415172#msg1415172 date=1371834505]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=112641.msg1415158#msg1415158 date=1371833401]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Both Hunter and Shugart were starters on defense too.
[/quote]

UGGHHH so now your looking for 2 to 4 replacements... I hope whoever they had in behind them in the depth chart can step up and fill the shoes...

[quote name="BigRedMachine" post="1415206" timestamp="1371838495"]
Chase will be playing football. He thought about it long and hard but decided he loves it to much not play.
[/quote]

THATS GREAT!! I am sure if he didn't he would of regretted it for many years to come... I pray nothing happens on the gridiron to hamper his path forward in baseball...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1415136" timestamp="1371829694"]
[quote author=usedtobe link=topic=112641.msg1415134#msg1415134 date=1371829434]
[quote author=johnnyarm link=topic=112641.msg1415100#msg1415100 date=1371818745]
[/quote]

Not putting the young man down - I don't even know him - but, doesn't "In coming freshman" speak volumes.  So he has Pee Wee experience and on up thru the 8th grade experience?  If a program is forced to put their field generalship in the hands of an incoming freshman then that program is in trouble no matter how good an athlete the in coming freshman is.  And, [b]the experience of that potential disaster could ruin a
career. [/b] Just a realistic observation. :(
[/quote]

or make him drive harder to make the program be better... if he can come in and pull off a win or two or more he will be better for it... sometimes adversity makes a person strive to change it... if he is an athlete... I think he would look adversity in the face and kick dirt at it... :-D
[/quote]

Very poetic, Coach.  Not all athletes are able to kick dirt in the face of adversity (No. 57 in your program).  Take any given Superbowl game.  There will be a winner and there will be a loser.  The loser faced adversity and didn't/couldn't overcome it.  So was it that they didn't have any athletes that could kick dirt or was it that the winning team had more dirt kicking athletes than the losing team.  As I mentioned, I don't know the young man.  I'm certain that he is an
outstanding athlete and I wish him well in his career.  I'm just saying that if I'm the head coach I'm very, VERY, reluctant to hand the starting QB position to a 14 year old.  He's probably going to be my QB next year, the
next year, and the year after that.  But I'm not throwing him into the swamp as a freshman.  But, he may also be mature beyond his years.  You just have to be there, I guess :-\

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012

• Maybe.. however..  Many athletic director / head football coach have lost their job despite the athletic program as a whole being successful.. if the football team struggles.  On the other hand, when football teams are doing great but the rest of the program stinks.. AD/HFC still keeps their job. WOS.  Newton. .. programs as a whole were fairly weak during those many years of football power and very few people even knew it.  Or cared. Yet, AD/HFC kept their jobs for years. Meanwhile, I remember an AD/HFC at Barbers Hill lost his job after every program in the school won district championships and even had several team sports (baseball, softball, girls hoops, etc.) making runs at state.  But the football team was mediocre.  Fired. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that perception is reality.  And the perception is that your athletic program can suck as long as football wins.. it doesn't matter how strong the athletic program is if football sucks. 
    • 5A Bi-District Baseball: Friendswood vs. Nederland -Game 1: Thursday (May 2): 6:30pm -Game 2: Friday (May 3): 6:30pm -Game 3 (If Needed): Saturday (May 4): 12pm *All games at Goose Creek Memorial HS*
    • Baseball mafia can cry all they want but when the talent isn’t there it ain’t there lol
    • It's only a matter of time before the baseball mafia starts greasing the tracks to run Crumedy out of town. It'll be a dang shame too, but mark my words. 
    • Conditioning should be done by the coach that they are IN SEASON with. This is a simple concept that's missed by so many. Way too many kids are overworked these days. I don't really care what was done 20, 30 or 40 years ago. We know more now and should do better. And maybe kids were more durable in the past, but they also had a great foundation of manual labor, etc. And lifting... done right, should be done all year round. Dayton's S&C coordinator is top notch when it comes to putting this together.
  • Topics