New Lumberton Boys Basketball Coach

Let's see.  Lumberton was one game from making the playoffs this year (prob much better than most predicted), and the coach gets fired?  He has also done a good job building the under levels of the basketball program.  Coach Wueller has put them in contention to be playoff contenders for the foreseeable future, and he is replaced by a girl's coach with no experience on the boy's side?  Sounds like a good 'ole boy network hire to me.  I hope the AD will hold himself to the same standard that he has Coach Wueller. 

[quote name="Aces_Full" post="1412350" timestamp="1370886462"]
Let's see.  Lumberton was one game from making the playoffs this year (prob much better than most predicted), and the coach gets fired?  He has also done a good job building the under levels of the basketball program.  Coach Wueller has put them in contention to be playoff contenders for the foreseeable future, and he is replaced by a girl's coach with no experience on the boy's side?  Sounds like a good 'ole boy network hire to me.  I hope the AD will hold himself to the same standard that he has Coach Wueller.
[/quote]

;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1412356" timestamp="1370886694"]
I thought Coach Wueller deserved another year based on what he has done this year and with sub levels.

But when you hire a new AD (Haynes) sometimes they will hire their "buddies" in other coaching positions. ;)
[/quote]
I agree 100%. He was starting to get that program on track. Coach Wueller knows who to run a program. He will get picked up quick and will be successful where ever he lands.

Let's see.  Lumberton was one game from making the playoffs this year (prob much better than most predicted), and the coach gets fired?  He has also done a good job building the under levels of the basketball program.  Coach Wueller has put them in contention to be playoff contenders for the foreseeable future, and he is[b] replaced by a girl's coach with no experience on the boy's side?  Sounds like a good 'ole boy network hire to me.[/b]  I hope the AD will hold himself to the same standard that he has Coach Wueller. 
[/quote]

2 things...

1st... Josh Mitchell was the assistant boys coach at Hardin the 1st couple of years Haynes was there.  Assistant to a team that would have no doubt beaten Lumberton in basketball...  They split with both Kountze and EC who ended up in regional tourney. 

2nd... ALL athletic directors hire people that have worked under them before.  They're familiar with what the A.D. wants.  It's not "good ' ole boy".. it's just how things are done.

[quote name="oldschool2" post="1412740" timestamp="1371042766"]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=112481.msg1412350#msg1412350 date=1370886462]
Let's see.  Lumberton was one game from making the playoffs this year (prob much better than most predicted), and the coach gets fired?  He has also done a good job building the under levels of the basketball program.  Coach Wueller has put them in contention to be playoff contenders for the foreseeable future, and he is[b] replaced by a girl's coach with no experience on the boy's side?  Sounds like a good 'ole boy network hire to me.[/b]  I hope the AD will hold himself to the same standard that he has Coach Wueller. 
[/quote]

2 things...

1st... Josh Mitchell was the assistant boys coach at Hardin the 1st couple of years Haynes was there.  Assistant to a team that would have no doubt beaten Lumberton in basketball...  They split with both Kountze and EC who ended up in regional tourney. 

2nd... ALL athletic directors hire people that have worked under them before.  They're familiar with what the A.D. wants.  It's not "good ' ole boy".. it's just how things are done.
[/quote] ;)

[quote name="mfd814" post="1412993" timestamp="1371110788"]
Coach Mitchell, was my sons coach,  great job!    Good luck Coach,  seems you'll need it,  Get the parents behind you and you will be successful.
[/quote]

It sounds like the previous coach would have done well but like someone else said, with a new AD comes new coaches.  And I'm sure the new coach will be fine. 

[/quote]

Lumberton has been to the playoffs ONCE in 44 seasons...ONE TIME! ANYTHING that the AD does would be an improvement. Perhaps they NEED someone in there that knows the community, and will attract more players..Wueller, I am sure, did all he could do, but if you can't make the playoffs with FOUR teams going...At least ONCE....It may be time for a change. 

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1413147" timestamp="1371148809"]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=112481.msg1412350#msg1412350 date=1370886462]
[/quote]

Lumberton has been to the playoffs ONCE in 44 seasons...ONE TIME! [color=red][b]ANYTHING that the AD does would be an improvement[/b][/color]. Perhaps they NEED someone in there that knows the community, and will attract more players..Wueller, I am sure, did all he could do, but if you can't make the playoffs with FOUR teams going...At least ONCE....It may be time for a change.
[/quote]

I beg to differ with your statement.  Have seen multiple instances where the AD brings in someone with a football background to coach basketball (not saying this is the case in this instance) and that never works.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1413187" timestamp="1371152809"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=112481.msg1413147#msg1413147 date=1371148809]
[/quote]

Lumberton has been to the playoffs ONCE in 44 seasons...ONE TIME! [color=red][b]ANYTHING that the AD does would be an improvement[/b][/color]. Perhaps they NEED someone in there that knows the community, and will attract more players..Wueller, I am sure, did all he could do, but if you can't make the playoffs with FOUR teams going...At least ONCE....It may be time for a change.
[/quote]

I beg to differ with your statement.  Have seen multiple instances where the AD brings in someone with a football background to coach basketball (not saying this is the case in this instance) and that never works.
[/quote]

Nash,
Do you agree with the rest of DV's logic?

DV,
When was it that Lumberton went to the playoffs?  Do we know who the coach was during that time and were there any notable players during that coach's time at the school?

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1413251" timestamp="1371159213"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=112481.msg1413187#msg1413187 date=1371152809]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=112481.msg1413147#msg1413147 date=1371148809]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nash,

DV,
When was it that Lumberton went to the playoffs?  Do we know who the coach was during that time and were there any notable players during that coach's time at the school?
[/quote]. Yes Lumnerton went to the playoff in 2000. The head coach was Chris McClain. Notable players Were JOSH MITCHELL, Jory Fondren, & Justin shackleford,

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1413251" timestamp="1371159213"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=112481.msg1413187#msg1413187 date=1371152809]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nash,

DV,
[/quote]

NO, there are a myriad of other variables to consider.  If you use DVs criteria and you are the AD at Bridge City, you have to replace the coach every year.  If the coach is improving the program on a gradual basis, why should you take the risk that his successor wont be able to do that?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder