New Lumberton Boys Basketball Coach

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1413271" timestamp="1371167649"]
[quote author=AthleticSupporter - Jock link=topic=112481.msg1413251#msg1413251 date=1371159213]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=112481.msg1413187#msg1413187 date=1371152809]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=112481.msg1413147#msg1413147 date=1371148809]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=112481.msg1412350#msg1412350 date=1370886462]
Let's see.  Lumberton was one game from making the playoffs this year (prob much better than most predicted), and the coach gets fired?  He has also done a good job building the under levels of the basketball program.  Coach Wueller has put them in contention to be playoff contenders for the foreseeable future, and he is replaced by a girl's coach with no experience on the boy's side?  Sounds like a good 'ole boy network hire to me.  I hope the AD will hold himself to the same standard that he has Coach Wueller. 
[/quote]

Lumberton has been to the playoffs ONCE in 44 seasons...ONE TIME! [color=red][b]ANYTHING that the AD does would be an improvement[/b][/color]. Perhaps they NEED someone in there that knows the community, and will attract more players..Wueller, I am sure, did all he could do, but if you can't make the playoffs with FOUR teams going...At least ONCE....It may be time for a change.
[/quote]

I beg to differ with your statement.  Have seen multiple instances where the AD brings in someone with a football background to coach basketball (not saying this is the case in this instance) and that never works.
[/quote]

Nash,
Do you agree with the rest of DV's logic?

DV,
When was it that Lumberton went to the playoffs?  Do we know who the coach was during that time and were there any notable players during that coach's time at the school?
[/quote]

NO, there are a myriad of other variables to consider.  If you use DVs criteria and you are the AD at Bridge City, you have to replace the coach every year.  If the coach is improving the program on a gradual basis, why should you take the risk that his successor wont be able to do that?
[/quote]

How many years had Weller been with Lumberton and what was his record each year?  I'm guessing by your post that it would show a progressive improvement over the years that he was there.  Do you know the records?

• 1 month later...
I played for coach Wueller for 4 years, he was a great coach and brought so much improvement to basketball in this community. He does not deserve to be bashed by people who only see the record. He taught so much to me and many former teammates that is more important to us then our w-l column. It should be really easy for mitchell to have success with the program that WUELLER built. I wish the best of luck to my former coach, I can not say for the new, I just hope the upcoming soph/juniors/seniors can carry on what Wueller taught them, and break the barrier and make the playoffs. Go Raiders!

[quote name="RaiderBlue10" post="1422491" timestamp="1375942368"]
I played for coach Wueller for 4 years, he was a great coach and brought so much improvement to basketball in this community. He does not deserve to be bashed by people who only see the record. He taught so much to me and many former teammates that is more important to us then our w-l column. It should be really easy for mitchell to have success with the program that WUELLER built. I wish the best of luck to my former coach, I can not say for the new, I just hope the upcoming soph/juniors/seniors can carry on what Wueller taught them, and break the barrier and make the playoffs. Go Raiders!
[/quote]

Who was bashing?  It looked like people were just commenting on the realities of a new AD coming in and bringing some of 'his' people.  That's usually how these things work.  I don't think anyone would doubt Weller being picked up and being successful wherever he lands.  Does anyone know where he landed by the way?

Wueller got the head girls basketball job at jasper and is an assistant football coach.  He had some offers but that's what he chose.  I think we will see him again on the boys side somewhere down the road.  If he has support from a.d that invests in basketball program he could be successful.  He was hamstrung in Lumberton.  Haynes seems so far to be an all sports guy and I like what I'm seeing so far with Josh Mitchell.  The boys are working hard and the gym is open for them to get better.  I'm excited about the future.  Got a lot of talent coming up also.  it will be fun to watch.

I don't know the details but I asked a friend of Haynes about coaches before Wuller was released and they said Haynes had no plans to do any firing or hiring until next year. Something to think about because a week later coach Goad moves to the counseling office and Wuller is released.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder