Alvin Credeur leaving Lumberton/ It's Official!

[quote name="bhackle" post="1398013" timestamp="1366923829"]
The main reason we can't keep any coaches is other schools pay their coaches more period.
[/quote]

I could see that being the reason assistant coaches leave, but for a head coach to leave and if rumor is true to be the OC at Vidor? I have a feeling it's parent politics just like the majority of today's school districts. I don't remember coaches leaving schools so much 20 years ago, but maybe I'm wrong. I think it's the norm in high schools across Texas, just some are more then others. Sad deal.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="whambulance" post="1398152" timestamp="1366946650"]
[quote author=RaiderGirl92 link=topic=111442.msg1398144#msg1398144 date=1366944393]
Talked to his son today when he was eating at my work tonight and today was his last day in lumberton and no idea where he is going now
[/quote]Pretty sure its Vidor.  Good for Vidor, Ltown is loosing a good coach and great person.  Someone mentioned parents...Yall may shoot me down but thats exactly right.  parents talking to board members and administrators caving in to board pressure.  Alvin will be much better off away from LISD politics.  The exodus from Lumberton may just be getting started. 
[b]Babin better stay put in Dville.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree.  ;)

[quote name="DP8036" post="1398164" timestamp="1366947923"]
[quote author=whambulance link=topic=111442.msg1398152#msg1398152 date=1366946650]
[quote author=RaiderGirl92 link=topic=111442.msg1398144#msg1398144 date=1366944393]
Talked to his son today when he was eating at my work tonight and today was his last day in lumberton and no idea where he is going now
[/quote]Pretty sure its Vidor.  Good for Vidor, Ltown is loosing a good coach and great person.  Someone mentioned parents...Yall may shoot me down but thats exactly right.  parents talking to board members and administrators caving in to board pressure.  Alvin will be much better off away from LISD politics.  The exodus from Lumberton may just be getting started. 
[/quote]

I agree.  ;)
[/quote]

Just so you know.... I just bought me some Pepto STOCK!!! hahahaha

[quote name="DP8036" post="1398164" timestamp="1366947923"]
[quote author=whambulance link=topic=111442.msg1398152#msg1398152 date=1366946650]
[/quote]

I agree.  ;)
[/quote]

Sorry but I really hope Babin comes back to Lumberton! All the kids know him and love him so I think it would do Lumberton good. He was an amazing guy when I had him as a teacher back my freshman year at Lumberton!

I think Babin will stay at D.V. at least through this year. I have told some people this guy is going to be in high demand. D.V. should get serious with this guy before they all come knocking. He is a great coach and the students love him. Also look out for the Pirates this year. SIZE and SPEED is a great combo. :)

[quote name="DP8036" post="1398171" timestamp="1366948974"]
Might be used up sooner than you thought  ;D lmao
[/quote]

Ahhhh, all that talk about HD fans freaking out about Finney or Huck leaving is coming back to bite you in the behind!  Hope Babin stays, but if he leaves, it's pure Karma!  8)

[quote name="Scatright" post="1398213" timestamp="1366983012"]
[quote author=DP8036 link=topic=111442.msg1398171#msg1398171 date=1366948974]
[/quote]

Ahhhh, all that talk about HD fans freaking out about Finney or Huck leaving is coming back to bite you in the behind!  Hope Babin stays, but if he leaves, it's pure Karma!  8)
[/quote]

I knew you were goin to say somethin like that Scatright.  ;) ;D

Guest BigCountry66
My guess is that Babin has already witnessed just how delusional and psychotic some of the Helicopter parents are in Lumberton and he would not step foot back in that place.  When you treat good people the way that Credeur was treated for the last couple years, you cause a lot of good coaches to think twice about stepping into that community.  All of these coaches talk and they are going to know exactly what they are getting themselves into.  And it's a real shame because you have a lot of good kids and 'some' good parents who suffer because of the psychotic parents.

Here is a facebook post from a Lumberton parent:

The news of Coach Credeur leaving makes me sick to my stomach! I consider myself one of the fortunate ones who got to play for Alvin Credeur. The things that we learned about life and being a responsible, productive member of society far outweigh 3 State Championships and the approximately 35-40 wins (but who's counting) on the football field. I also played baseball during those years for Credeur and twice we made it to the state championship game. With Credeur, we learned that no one is bigger than the team. If you didn't buy into that philosophy, then don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. If he would have asked us to, we would have run through a brick wall for him. He is a great leader and a great man. He is the same today as he was over two decades ago. The only thing in my mind that is different is the quality of parenting on display today. If my kids had played for him, I would have been thankful that I didn't have to worry about anything. I could do my job, and he and his staff could do theirs. I could sleep well at night knowing who I had left in charge of my kids for hours each day was going to do as good, or better, of a job than I could do with them. They would have learned things like having Poise under pressure, Responsibility, Integrity, Discipline/ Dedication, and Excellence both on and off the field. P.R.I.D.E. is something that was preached to us every day and if you didn't like it, they told you to "pack your sh*t and get out." The difference was they knew we couldn't leave because our parents wouldn't let us quit. The coach was right and the kids were wrong. Boy, how things have changed. Our parents didn't question anything and our moms and dads didn't try to coach the team and tell him who should be playing what. Everybody didn't bank their kids future on getting an athletic scholarship. They planned on their kid going to college and learning lots of life's lessons while in high school, and if they were lucky enough to get some offers, then they thanked God for the blessing. Now, most parents think their kid is special and if they don't get a full ride to a D1 school, then the coaching staff is to blame and has failed to provide what they are "entitled" to. It's a real shame that mine will not be learning these life lessons from Alvin Credeur! He is not only a great coach, but also a great, christian man !! Coach Credeur will not be the one who suffers from this. The real tragedy is the generations of kids that won't get to learn those same lessons from him. It's a sad day.

BigCountry66 has got it right. Parents who think they are God's gift to the football world made Coach Credeur's life and coaching experience really hard. He handled all the naysaying with grace and dignity. He never once got down on the level of some of these parents. It enfuriates me that people who have no idea what kind of a man he is could basically force him to leave. He is a good man and a great coach. The irony of it all is the fact that he loves Lumberton, loves the kids and wants to win just as much, if not more than the parents who have treated him so ungraciously. The kids I know at Lumberton were really working hard for him and are heartbroken for the loss. They understand though that He's only doing what he had to do. It's funny, I saw more maturity in 15-17 year old kids yesterday then in some of the "wiser" parents. Good luck coach...we love you.

[quote name="SETXBaseball2016" post="1398247" timestamp="1366990146"]
Here is a facebook post from a Lumberton parent:

The news of Coach Credeur leaving makes me sick to my stomach! I consider myself one of the fortunate ones who got to play for Alvin Credeur. The things that we learned about life and being a responsible, productive member of society far outweigh 3 State Championships and the approximately 35-40 wins (but who's counting) on the football field. I also played baseball during those years for Credeur and twice we made it to the state championship game. With Credeur, we learned that no one is bigger than the team. If you didn't buy into that philosophy, then don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. If he would have asked us to, we would have run through a brick wall for him. He is a great leader and a great man. He is the same today as he was over two decades ago. The only thing in my mind that is different is the quality of parenting on display today. If my kids had played for him, I would have been thankful that I didn't have to worry about anything. I could do my job, and he and his staff could do theirs. I could sleep well at night knowing who I had left in charge of my kids for hours each day was going to do as good, or better, of a job than I could do with them. They would have learned things like having Poise under pressure, Responsibility, Integrity, Discipline/ Dedication, and Excellence both on and off the field. P.R.I.D.E. is something that was preached to us every day and if you didn't like it, they told you to "pack your sh*t and get out." The difference was they knew we couldn't leave because our parents wouldn't let us quit. The coach was right and the kids were wrong. Boy, how things have changed. Our parents didn't question anything and our moms and dads didn't try to coach the team and tell him who should be playing what. Everybody didn't bank their kids future on getting an athletic scholarship. They planned on their kid going to college and learning lots of life's lessons while in high school, and if they were lucky enough to get some offers, then they thanked God for the blessing. Now, most parents think their kid is special and if they don't get a full ride to a D1 school, then the coaching staff is to blame and has failed to provide what they are "entitled" to. It's a real shame that mine will not be learning these life lessons from Alvin Credeur! He is not only a great coach, but also a great, christian man !! Coach Credeur will not be the one who suffers from this. The real tragedy is the generations of kids that won't get to learn those same lessons from him. It's a sad day.
[/quote]

Perfectly stated!

[quote name="DP8036" post="1398219" timestamp="1366983494"]
[quote author=Scatright link=topic=111442.msg1398213#msg1398213 date=1366983012]
[quote author=DP8036 link=topic=111442.msg1398171#msg1398171 date=1366948974]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew you were goin to say somethin like that Scatright.  ;) ;D
[/quote]

I am rooting for him to stay at DV though.  I wouldnt' wish that kind of evil on anyone!

I also got sick to my stomach, but it was from watching how bad the team was last year.  I'm sure some former players have great memories of Coach.  What's your point, cause hes a great person then hes a great coach??  I can tell you that as this info circulated in Lumberton High yesterday, many (did not say all) of the football players were excited to here the news. Hmmm?

[quote name="Search" post="1398273" timestamp="1366995405"]
I also got sick to my stomach, but it was from watching how bad the team was last year.  I'm sure some former players have great memories of Coach.  What's your point, cause hes a great person then hes a great coach??  I can tell you that as this info circulated in Lumberton High yesterday, many (did not say all) of the football players were excited to here the news. Hmmm?
[/quote]

Believe me, there wasn't anybody more sick at his stomach about the last two years than coach Credeur. He recognized some of the problems that caused those years as well and was working on fixing them. Given time he'd have brought the program back around. It's funny how short peoples memories are...just a few short years ago Lumberton was the Army 4A team of the year in Texas. Go back and look at our history. Credeur was probably the most successful coach Lumberton has had for football. They've never been competitive in football...except under Credeur.

For all you haters...this was from Dave Campbells.

We'll be making a tour of Texas over the next few weeks, holding presentations at gyms and cafeterias from the Panhandle to the gulf coast to recognize the seven teams (one for each classification) that we thought most strongly exhibited the Army's seven values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity and Personal Courage. Remember our Army Strong Team of the Week award? Well, this is the same concept, except extrapolated out over the trials and tribulations of a full 10-game season.

Didn't follow Lumberton this year? That's OK -- we did. [b]We were watching when they opened their 42nd year of high school football at the beginning of 2007 -- 42 years without a single postseason appearance[/b]. We were watching when they started the season an impressive 6-0, including an improbable 8-7 victory over rival Dayton, a team that had beaten them 55-7 just a year before -- yes, the same Dayton that went on to make the state semifinals this season. We were watching when the Raiders clenched their first-ever postseason by handily beating Nederland in the regular-season finale (snapping their 11-year playoff streak), and, yes, we were watching when they even toppled reigning 4A-DII state champion LaMarque in the second round.

We saw it all, and we loved it.

Think there's a sense of respect and duty between this team and its community? SGT Jason Custer, the Army representative on-hand for last-week's ceremony, hadn't even handed the trophy over to head coach Alvin Credeur before those in attendance (which was more than 100 people) were offering a hearty standing ovation. Heads were nodding as we talked about things like courage -- the courage to take a team where it had never been before -- and selfless service -- the dedication of players and coaches to those around them who offered their unflinching support. When coach Credeur starting talking about how this team had "made an investment" in their own success, we started nodding, too.

These Lumberton Raiders were exactly what we had in mind.

Coach Credeur will be missed! Lumberton's loss is another teams big time gain!

Guest BigCountry66
[quote name="BD31" post="1398292" timestamp="1366998875"]
For all you haters...this was from Dave Campbells.

We'll be making a tour of Texas over the next few weeks, holding presentations at gyms and cafeterias from the Panhandle to the gulf coast to recognize the seven teams (one for each classification) that we thought most strongly exhibited the Army's seven values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity and Personal Courage. Remember our Army Strong Team of the Week award? Well, this is the same concept, except extrapolated out over the trials and tribulations of a full 10-game season.

Didn't follow Lumberton this year? That's OK -- we did. [b]We were watching when they opened their 42nd year of high school football at the beginning of 2007 -- 42 years without a single postseason appearance[/b]. We were watching when they started the season an impressive 6-0, including an improbable 8-7 victory over rival Dayton, a team that had beaten them 55-7 just a year before -- yes, the same Dayton that went on to make the state semifinals this season. We were watching when the Raiders clenched their first-ever postseason by handily beating Nederland in the regular-season finale (snapping their 11-year playoff streak), and, yes, we were watching when they even toppled reigning 4A-DII state champion LaMarque in the second round.

We saw it all, and we loved it.

Think there's a sense of respect and duty between this team and its community? SGT Jason Custer, the Army representative on-hand for last-week's ceremony, hadn't even handed the trophy over to head coach Alvin Credeur before those in attendance (which was more than 100 people) were offering a hearty standing ovation. Heads were nodding as we talked about things like courage -- the courage to take a team where it had never been before -- and selfless service -- the dedication of players and coaches to those around them who offered their unflinching support. When coach Credeur starting talking about how this team had "made an investment" in their own success, we started nodding, too.

These Lumberton Raiders were exactly what we had in mind.

Coach Credeur will be missed! Lumberton's loss is another teams big time gain!
[/quote]

BD31,
You won't convince the haters that they are wrong.  They will try to say that the coaching had nothing to do with those teams' success and that it was just a very unique class of athletes.  But these same haters will turn around 4-5 years later and crucify the coaches because of not winning football games and who gets the credit for NOT winning.  You guessed it, the head coach.  Seems like flawed logic to me.  The coach gets no credit for the wins and all the blame for the losses.  Well hell, why do we need coaches then.  That's right, we need someone to blame when things don't go our way.  You people have no conscience and it's a wonder you are able to sleep at night.  Don't worry though.  What goes around comes around.  You better pray that it comes around on you and not your offspring.

This in response to...."[b]They've never been competitive in football....except under Credeur[/b]"

'89...6-4  i believe they beat the 3rd ranked 3a team in the state that year
'90...7-3  only 2 teams made the playoffs way back then...only 2 district losses
'91...8-2  again, only 2 teams made the playoffs...how awful is that...no playoffs

I am sure there a few more examples...so post them if you know them...

if that isn't competitive.....what is?

Guest BigCountry66
Let me ask you Search, do you think that Credeur was the reason Lumberton lost football games in the last couple of years?  If so, and if you were in charge of hiring his replacement, what qualities would you be looking for?  Let's take Faircloth for example.  Would he be a good replacement?  Or Matthews at Vidor?  Do you think either of these two guys would be good enough for the people that ran Credeur off?  Because I can pull up posts from vidor people from 2 years ago and posts from PNG last year that wanted to run them out of their respective towns.  So, I'm just say, give us your expert opinion.  If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.  Would you be willing to help Lumberton out and be part of the solution.  If you are not willing to do that, then we have to assume that you are just holding a grudge against Credeur because your little johnny didn't get enough playing time.  Please help me understand.

Guest BigCountry66
[quote name="WASTEOFTALENT" post="1398301" timestamp="1367002288"]
My point was not about the glory days...it was about making statements that are factual....I like Credeur...I think he was a great role model for the kids, but he is not the only coach that has had success in L'town.
[/quote]

I think you made a good point WOT.  There was some success it appears.

I'll be the first to say I do not care about the record.  I giggle when I where people say hes a good coach because he was 8-2(not sure what actual record was) and went to the playoffs thus he's a good coach.  0-10 last year, but I did not see the basics of coaching.  Coaching that involves the fundamentals of football; blocking, tackling, turnovers, penalties.  All things than can be coached.  Do I think a Nick Sabine could make this team 10-0, heck no, these kids are not at the same level as our competition but I see more can be done to make them better footballers.  Would it change a loss to win, most cases no.  Also,  where is his involvement at the youth level.  This is where your program begins.

And I could care less about what other schools are doing.  My kids go to lumberton.  But if you tell me he is a good coach because we went to the playoffs once or because we is a good guys, I will reply with he's not going to the playoffs, the team is not doing well and he does not care.  If you want to give me technical football reasons for why he is a good coach then explain them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86