Alto Head Coach Keith Gardner retires....

[quote name="Uncle Si" post="1399783" timestamp="1367446340"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=111390.msg1399779#msg1399779 date=1367445231]
[quote author=Uncle Si link=topic=111390.msg1399773#msg1399773 date=1367443188]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=111390.msg1399757#msg1399757 date=1367438906]
SA does not have the winning tradition of Alto or HD. Yes, SA has been good recently.
[/quote]SA won the 2003 2A Div 1 State Championship!  When did HD win one last?  Nevermind, I just looked on the UIL website and it states that HD won it's ONLY state championship in football 34 years ago (1979) in class 1A.
[/quote]Yes yall won a title in 2003. But look at your history, SA has won only 50% of it's games. Heck, in 2006 yall only had 1 win. In 2009 yall lost every game. lol. 2003 was earned and deserved, good job, it made folks quit laughing at your program.  ;)
[/quote]I'm not from SA.  All I am stating is that HD's sucessful seasons were laced throughout the late [b]1930's[/b] to the late [b]1970's[/b].  Any success OTHER than last season for HD was the result of pretty much always being in a weak district, usually one and done when they did make the playoffs during the 90's- 2000's.  I agree that SA is not really in the same class as Alto when it comes to being a consistently dominate ball club but IMO they are consistently better than HD. If HD had historically been placed in districts with teams the caliber of Alto, Garrison, Groveton, Corrigan Camden, SA, West Sabine, Joaquin, and Teneha then their win/loss record would not be what it is now and these are the teams that SA has grown up with in their districts throughout history.  West Sabine was in hog heaven the years that they were able to play in the southern district.
[/quote]HD has not always been in this district. HD has had the misfortune of losing early in playoffs to some great teams that went far in playoffs. Alto, Groveton and Grapeland to name a few, seems we always lost to a top 3 ranked team in state in first or second rd. HD has had some great teams in the 90's-current. HD has a bigger winning tradition than SA.

HD shouldnt even be talked about.  First of all they come from the weakest district in the state of texas, and they play the weakest pre season schedule.  Alto let you back in that game last year.  HD has NO passing game.  Better hope you clear that up if you want to get out of the first round of the playoffs again.  SA may have lost a lot of players, but one thing they do have is swagger and pride.  Can always mark HD and the rest of that district as W when you see them on the schedule...why?  Because they cannot handle real team. 

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1399788" timestamp="1367447562"]
[quote author=Uncle Si link=topic=111390.msg1399783#msg1399783 date=1367446340]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=111390.msg1399779#msg1399779 date=1367445231]
[quote author=Uncle Si link=topic=111390.msg1399773#msg1399773 date=1367443188]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=111390.msg1399757#msg1399757 date=1367438906]
SA does not have the winning tradition of Alto or HD. Yes, SA has been good recently.
[/quote]SA won the 2003 2A Div 1 State Championship!  When did HD win one last?  Nevermind, I just looked on the UIL website and it states that HD won it's ONLY state championship in football 34 years ago (1979) in class 1A.
[/quote]Yes yall won a title in 2003. But look at your history, SA has won only 50% of it's games. Heck, in 2006 yall only had 1 win. In 2009 yall lost every game. lol. 2003 was earned and deserved, good job, it made folks quit laughing at your program.  ;)
[/quote]I'm not from SA.  All I am stating is that HD's sucessful seasons were laced throughout the late [b]1930's[/b] to the late [b]1970's[/b].  Any success OTHER than last season for HD was the result of pretty much always being in a weak district, usually one and done when they did make the playoffs during the 90's- 2000's.  I agree that SA is not really in the same class as Alto when it comes to being a consistently dominate ball club but IMO they are consistently better than HD. If HD had historically been placed in districts with teams the caliber of Alto, Garrison, Groveton, Corrigan Camden, SA, West Sabine, Joaquin, and Teneha then their win/loss record would not be what it is now and these are the teams that SA has grown up with in their districts throughout history.  West Sabine was in hog heaven the years that they were able to play in the southern district.
[/quote]HD has not always been in this district. HD has had the misfortune of losing early in playoffs to some great teams that went far in playoffs. Alto, Groveton and Grapeland to name a few, seems we always lost to a top 3 ranked team in state in first or second rd. HD has had some great teams in the 90's-current. HD has a bigger winning tradition than SA.
[/quote]

Not in the past 10 years you haven't.  Of course SA was horrible once Graves left, the talent was always there, no one just knew how to use it.  Hubbard is a great coach and knows how to use the talent we have.  We will have an accurate passer next year, and two good rb's.  We will be questionable on defense.  Neither SA or HD may make it out of district....so why don't you keep your mouth shut for a while?

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1399623" timestamp="1367416102"]
Man, this is getting good already! HD will be ready come playoff time no matter who they face. Alto will be VERY GOOD regardless of who their head coach is. I do think that the players that Mart lost will hurt come playoff time. Cosby and Thomas are electric though and they are still the defending region III champs until someone knocks them off. Alto wins their district with West Sabine finishing second and SA coming in third with a young team. Mart will beat Bosqueville and Axtell and win district 12. This would put Alto and Mart on a collision course in the third round, the same place San Augustine ran into mart in 2012. I think HD beats WS in Rd 2 and rolls to regionals against the Mart/Alto winner (which i think will be Alto). I'm sure Joaquin, Timpson, Harleton, Carlisle and the folks from District 9 will have plenty to say about this as well.

My top teams going into the season:

1. Alto
2. Mart
3. HD
4. WS
[/quote] 

Good post HD9, I enjoy reading your insight on here as you are the only HD fan with any sense.  I'm telling right now, Alto is not going to drop off with Gardner retiring, all will be setled very soon regarding that.  Mart will be intersting, those Linemen they are losing were very good as was their WR's that graduated as well.  Mart will be their, if Thomas gets hurt though then they could be in trouble.  HD will be their to, lack of speed could hurt in the end though.

I see our district as:

1. Alto
2. WS
3. SA/Grapeland/Shelbyville
6.  Poor lil ol Cushing, who could probably get 3rd in Hd district.

[quote name="AltoJacketFan5" post="1399801" timestamp="1367452568"]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=111390.msg1399623#msg1399623 date=1367416102]
Man, this is getting good already! HD will be ready come playoff time no matter who they face. Alto will be VERY GOOD regardless of who their head coach is. I do think that the players that Mart lost will hurt come playoff time. Cosby and Thomas are electric though and they are still the defending region III champs until someone knocks them off. Alto wins their district with West Sabine finishing second and SA coming in third with a young team. Mart will beat Bosqueville and Axtell and win district 12. This would put Alto and Mart on a collision course in the third round, the same place San Augustine ran into mart in 2012. I think HD beats WS in Rd 2 and rolls to regionals against the Mart/Alto winner (which i think will be Alto). I'm sure Joaquin, Timpson, Harleton, Carlisle and the folks from District 9 will have plenty to say about this as well.

My top teams going into the season:

1. Alto
2. Mart
3. HD
4. WS
[/quote] 

Good post HD9, I enjoy reading your insight on here as you are the only HD fan with any sense.  I'm telling right now, Alto is not going to drop off with Gardner retiring, all will be setled very soon regarding that.  Mart will be intersting, those Linemen they are losing were very good as was their WR's that graduated as well.  Mart will be their, if Thomas gets hurt though then they could be in trouble.  HD will be their to, lack of speed could hurt in the end though.

I see our district as:

1. Alto
2. WS
3. SA/Grapeland/Shelbyville
6.  Poor lil ol Cushing, who could probably get 3rd in Hd district.
[/quote]

District 10 will once again be a fight to the finish, with both West Sabine and Alto returning most of their squad from last year, especially on both lines. West Sabine will have to find a new identity on offense with Lacey's graduation, but I have seen the heir apparent at QB and he looks extremely polished, especially as a passer, and having the reigning District Defensive MVP in Hunter Cabral returning wont hurt either. As long as Alto has Whitaker and Sturns in their backfield they will be a load to handle for any defense. While SA may have lost 19 or 20 seniors, don't underestimate them in the slightest. While Mart may have lost some key linemen up front, as long as they have the electric combo of Cosby and Thomas they will be the favorites in region 3 barring injuries. Moseley should give H-D a deep threat to take the top off of defenses in the passing attack, and Timpson had a resurgent season last year with a lot underclassmen. Region 3 should be wide open in 2013 in my opinion......

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder