If Lamar joins the SBC

UNLV

If Lamar was to join the SBC, would it not be very beneficial for Lamar and Texas st to play all conference games between the 2 schools at Reliant. Just as SFA and Sam. Both LU and Texas st fans could travel well to Reliant. That would be so freaking cool considering the number of Beaumont-ers living in Houston.

If I was Lamar, I would advertise on the Houston area radio stations. If you are from the BPT area living in Houston, lets have a tailgate and reunion at the annual Texas st/Lamar game at Reliant. I could see 60,000 at that game. Socializing more than watching the game, but still.

It makes no sense at all for the SBC to invite Idaho-football only over a school that would be all sports and within the footprint. And a foot in the Houston area especially if Lamar and Texas st could hold its football games at Reliant.

not sure if the attendance would double...but i bet we would have a good crowd...and high schools play at reliant now..im sure two colleges could pay to rent reliant...heck..if we stay in the slc..i say move  the game between lamar and sam houston...or  the lamar sfa game to reliant...i think it would be fun  8)

I don't think Lamar/SHSU could fill Reliant. I don't think Lamar/SFA could fill Reliant. Lamar/Texas st, YES.
There is more than enough SE Texans living in Houston. Have ads target them as a SE Texas re-union at Reliant. Texas st will bring a boat load. It can be done if done correctly.

I don't think Texas State and Lamar would fill Reliant at all. Texas State can't even get their students to go into their own stadium, that's a problem an actual Texas State employee told me. They tailgate then head back on campus. Same problem Lamar is starting to have now. People tailgate but never make it into the stadium. SFA and Sam have had championship contending teams the past 3 years and have had good crowds for FCS schools.

2012- 26,185
2011- 25, 083
2010- 24, 685

I'm a proud Lamar Cardinal but all I see from fans is excuses of why they can't go to games. I can't imagine they would travel to Houston.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1397712" timestamp="1366841991"]
I don't think Texas State and Lamar would fill Reliant at all. Texas State can't even get their students to go into their own stadium, that's a problem an actual Texas State employee told me. They tailgate then head back on campus. Same problem Lamar is starting to have now. People tailgate but never make it into the stadium. SFA and Sam have had championship contending teams the past 3 years and have had good crowds for FCS schools.

2012- 26,185
2011- 25, 083
2010- 24, 685

I'm a proud Lamar Cardinal but all I see from fans is excuses of why they can't go to games. I can't imagine they would travel to Houston.
[/quote]Texas st students go home for the weekend + Texas  st alum in Houston + true Texas st fans + PU stadium boring/Reliant exciting Lamar fans + SE Texans in Houston + curious Houston sports fans(6.6 million can at least yield 3,000)= 60,000.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1397767" timestamp="1366860613"]
[quote author=ShlyKBMT link=topic=111263.msg1397712#msg1397712 date=1366841991]

2012- 26,185
2011- 25, 083
2010- 24, 685

[/quote]Texas st students go home for the weekend + Texas  st alum in Houston + true Texas st fans + PU stadium boring/Reliant exciting Lamar fans + SE Texans in Houston + curious Houston sports fans(6.6 million can at least yield 3,000)= 60,000.
[/quote]

There is a better chance of me becoming President of the United States than LU/TxState getting 60K into Reliant!!!!  Are you effing insane UNLV?  NO CHANCE!!!!!

[quote name="UNLV" post="1397857" timestamp="1366902300"]
This why lesser communities and smaller schools achieve so much more while Lamar gets left behind. You believe it can't be done, it'll never be done.
[/quote]

The belief by Billy Tubbs that "little ole Lamar" could achieve great things in basketball with almost no budget and playing in McDonald Gym is why LU basketball was as successful as it was in the lat 70s and early 80's! 

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1397880" timestamp="1366905345"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=111263.msg1397857#msg1397857 date=1366902300]
This why lesser communities and smaller schools achieve so much more while Lamar gets left behind. You believe it can't be done, it'll never be done.
[/quote]

The belief by Billy Tubbs that "little ole Lamar" could achieve great things in basketball with almost no budget and playing in McDonald Gym is why LU basketball was as successful as it was in the lat 70s and early 80's!
[/quote]Billy Tubbs is from Tulsa. He does not have the SE Texas can't be done mentality.

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="1398496" timestamp="1367026982"]
LOL do you mean bankrupt and dropping sports in order to meet a continually dwindling budget resulting from fan apathy?
[/quote]You do understand Lamar dropped football, canceled sports, and dropped to the SLC by doing the opposite what I say Lamar should do.

If I was running Lamar, Lamar would be a $100 million research University with a campus population on 28k.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1398561" timestamp="1367032976"]
[quote author=SabineRavine link=topic=111263.msg1398496#msg1398496 date=1367026982]
LOL do you mean bankrupt and dropping sports in order to meet a continually dwindling budget resulting from fan apathy?
[/quote]You do understand Lamar dropped football, canceled sports, and dropped to the SLC by doing the opposite what I say Lamar should do.

If I was running Lamar, Lamar would be a $100 million research University with a campus population on 28k.
[/quote]

Well, by all means, get this post and your resume' to the Board of Regents as quickly as possible.  Surely they have no idea about your abilities or availability. ::)

[quote name="UNLV" post="1398561" timestamp="1367032976"]
[quote author=SabineRavine link=topic=111263.msg1398496#msg1398496 date=1367026982]

[b]If I was running Lamar, Lamar would be a $100 million research University with a campus population on 28k.[/b]
[/quote]

I think this bold post qualifies as the most egotistical, asinine post in the history of SETXsports.com!!

I understand. Too much DIESEL for ya.

There are people who can, and those who can not. Lamar has a long history of leaders who can not. And lets not forget the public that blindly supports the can not leadership. Hand shakes and pats on the back for just getting through the day or week or year or career.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1398742" timestamp="1367099475"]
I understand. Too much DIESEL for ya.

There are people who can, and those who can not. Lamar has a long history of leaders who can not. And lets not forget the public that blindly supports the can not leadership. Hand shakes and pats on the back for just getting through the day or week or year or career.
[/quote]

What the hell have you done for LAMAR except talk about it on message boards?  Have you given millions of dollars to the school because that's what it takes to succeed at the FBS level.  You run your mouth on all these message boards but every time someone asks you about how much money you have given to LAMAR you just dodge the question.  So I'm asking you, how much have you donated to LAMAR over the years?  A rough estimate is all you need to tell us.

I think some good points have been raised in this thread.

First off, I'm one who thinks Lamar could and should move up to FBS as soon as possible.  [b]Most of the universities I consider as our direct peers and former rivals have already made the jump.[/b] such as ULL, LaTech, ArkSt, TxState, UTSA, North Texas, Western Kentucky, etc.  I also see a lot of universities that I would consider as peers who are currently making the jump like Georgia State, Georgia Southern and South Alabama.  Looking at the examples, I am not seeing universities a whole lot different from ours.  If they can do it, why can't Lamar?  I think there are several upsides to a well thought out move up.

This is primarily a sports forum, but part of improving the athletic resume for programs wanting to move up is through overall university reputation and perceived support for the University.  That's one reason I'm excited that the Investing in the Future campaign is at $102,095,373 out of the increased goal of $125,000,000.00 according to the LU University Advancement web page.

To make the jump, the University needs support of its alumni and from the surrounding community.  The same can be said for the University to increase its academic stature.  I'm a firm believer of giving back to the university.  I'm not a deep pocket donor, but collectively even every day folks like me can help a little considering there are over 75,000 alumni .  Just assuming 10% of us (7,500 alumni) make an average contribution of $200.00 a year, we collectively could help the University with $1,500,000.00 before corporate matches.  We can also get our companies to help support.  Many of the corporations in the local area have matching programs.  Like all the residents, those companies have a vested interest in a better educated workforce.  For those of us who have been transferred from the local area, we can make an impact also.

Matching gifts are a big thing.  Below is a partial list of corporations with local facilities.  It appears none will match for athletics.

ExxonMobil has a great program.  They offer a 3 to 1 match for employees as well as retirees (except retirees of Mobil Corporation).  The match is capped at $7,500.00 per year.  That means if an ExxonMobil employee made a contribution of $100.00, ExxonMobil would kick in an additional $300.00.  ($400.00 total)

Motiva offers a 1 to 1 match for employees.  The match is capped at $5,000.00 per year.

BASF offers a 1 to 1 match for employees.  The match is capped at $5,000.00 per year.

Chevron Phillips 1 to 1 match for employees.  The match is capped at $5,000 for employees and $1,500.00 for retirees.

Trinity Industries 1 to 1 match for employees.  The match is capped at $2,500 and needs prior VP approval.

Entergy - 1 to 1 match for employees.  The match is capped at $3,000.

Total Petrochemicals 1 to 1 match for employees.  The match is capped at $5,000.00.

Others include...

IBM - For employees, 1 for 1 match for cash.  University can get 2 for 1 match for equipment.  IBM also matches retiree cash contributions 1 for 2  (.50).

ConocoPhillips offers a 1 to 1 match.  The match is capped at $15,000.00.

Shell offers a 1 to 1 match.  The match is capped at $5,000.00.

BP offers a 1 to 1 match.  The match is capped at $5,000.00.

Apache offers a 1 to 1 match.  The match is capped at $10,000.00.

Chevron offers a 1 to 1 match.  The match is capped at $5,000.00.

If any of us have an interest in also supporting the athletic programs (scholarships, etc.), we could use the corporate match to leverage our general education support and kick in a little to the athletics program.

I really appreciate those large dollar donors who have stepped up to the plate.  I also think those like me should do our share.

Advantages are better quality of life for the area; making the area more attractive for prospective corporate investments as well as a better educated area.

I grew up in the area.  I went to Lamar and had a great experience.  I enjoy Lamar athletics.  I want the area and Lamar to succeed.  As one who has been out of the area for over 20 years, I see great untapped potential.  I can see what people in similar areas with an optimistic attitude have been able to accomplish.  I would like to see more people transition to a vision of We Can and away from a vision of We Can't.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin