BC at Buna on 3/12/13/ BC wins 5-1!!

[quote name="Franchiseball" post="1385014" timestamp="1363134597"]
Sure looked like a big ole E to me flyball that should have been caught
[/quote]

Unless they changed the definition of the word ERROR that's a hit all day. Never put a glove on it, it's a hit. Should've been caught no doubt, but you know the old phrase "shoulda, coulda , woulda!"

Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1385019" timestamp="1363134985"]
[quote author=Franchiseball link=topic=110150.msg1385014#msg1385014 date=1363134597]
[/quote]

Unless they changed the definition of the word ERROR that's a hit all day. Never put a glove on it, it's a hit. Should've been caught no doubt, but you know the old phrase "shoulda, coulda , woulda!"

Rake1
[/quote]So what your saying if a fielder lets a ball go between his legs with his glove on his head its a hit....a errow is a ball that can be caught with normal effort plain n simple....this is why you have kids with high BAs

[quote name="643" post="1385193" timestamp="1363167888"]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=110150.msg1385019#msg1385019 date=1363134985]
[quote author=Franchiseball link=topic=110150.msg1385014#msg1385014 date=1363134597]
[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]So what your saying if a fielder lets a ball go between his legs with his glove on his head its a hit....a errow is a ball that can be caught with normal effort plain n simple....this is why you have kids with high BAs
[/quote]

As defined in MLB rules

Rule 10.12(a)(1) Comment: Slow handling of the ball that does not involve mechanical misplay shall not be construed as an error. For example, the official scorer shall not charge a fielder with an error if such fielder fields a ground ball cleanly but does not throw to first base in time to retire the batter. It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error.[color=red] [b]If a ground ball goes through a fielder's legs or a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer's judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error.[/b][/color]

In the case of the fly ball last night that has some folks "up in arms" the outfielder had a ball hit over his head to the wall and he did not make the catch. Would you like for him to make that catch, sure, but it's not a normal play and required more effort. If you want to point to one that should've been caught and was scored a hit you can look at the ball that was lost in the lights by the centerfielder and rightfielder, nobody touched the ball, it's also scored a hit.

In the "sarcastic" example of the fielder with a glove on his head and the ball through his legs, yes that's an error. Just remember the "magic" words "in the scorer's judgement" and "ordinary effort". Let me know if I need to type slower so you can follow.  8)

Rake1 

[quote name="Rake1" post="1385219" timestamp="1363184701"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=110150.msg1385193#msg1385193 date=1363167888]
[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

As defined in MLB rules

Rule 10.12(a)(1) Comment: Slow handling of the ball that does not involve mechanical misplay shall not be construed as an error. For example, the official scorer shall not charge a fielder with an error if such fielder fields a ground ball cleanly but does not throw to first base in time to retire the batter. It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error.[color=red] [b]If a ground ball goes through a fielder's legs or a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer's judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error.[/b][/color]

In the case of the fly ball last night that has some folks "up in arms" the outfielder had a ball hit over his head to the wall and he did not make the catch. Would you like for him to make that catch, sure, but it's not a normal play and required more effort. If you want to point to one that should've been caught and was scored a hit you can look at the ball that was lost in the lights by the centerfielder and rightfielder, nobody touched the ball, it's also scored a hit.

In the "sarcastic" example of the fielder with a glove on his head and the ball through his legs, yes that's an error. Just remember the "magic" words "in the scorer's judgement" and "ordinary effort". Let me know if I need to type slower so you can follow.  8)

Rake1
[/quote]I think what you read from the "mlb rules" is exactly what 643 was saying

[quote name="deputy20" post="1385224" timestamp="1363186207"]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=110150.msg1385219#msg1385219 date=1363184701]
[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

As defined in MLB rules

Rake1
[/quote]I think what you read from the "mlb rules" is exactly what 643 was saying
[/quote]

Like I stated earlier, I agree with the example of the ball through the fielders legs. I also gave the reason why the ball hit to left that was not caught is scored a hit and not considered an error.

Rake1

[quote name="Rake1" post="1385231" timestamp="1363188012"]
[quote author=deputy20 link=topic=110150.msg1385224#msg1385224 date=1363186207]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=110150.msg1385219#msg1385219 date=1363184701]
[/quote]

Rake1
[/quote]

As defined in MLB rules

Rake1
[/quote]

Like I stated earlier, I agree with the example of the ball through the fielders legs. I also gave the reason why the ball hit to left that was not caught is scored a hit and not considered an error.

Rake1
[/quote]

100% Hit all day everyday..... That ball traveled far and quick.

[quote name="Franchiseball" post="1385263" timestamp="1363196024"]
Rake1 and Critter I'm assuming you have sons that play or you were a player yourself. Ask yourself this would your son or yourself in high school made that play? [b]I think I know the answer to that![/b]
[/quote]

If you know the answer then why ask the question?  ???

[quote name="Franchiseball" post="1385263" timestamp="1363196024"]
Rake1 and Critter I'm assuming you have sons that play or you were a player yourself. Ask yourself this would your son or yourself in high school made that play? I think I know the answer to that!
[/quote]

I can't speak for Critter but I can say I fall into both catagories. I honestly believe the outfielder last night probably makes that play from time to time, unfortunately last night he didn't and the way it gets scored is the way it gets scored. We have all seen MLB guys get turned around and not make a play that perhaps they make on other occasions, it happens, and it gets scored accordingly. That's the great thing about baseball, it all evens out in the long run. A ball that is absolutely hammered right at a guy gets caught and another one not hit nearly as well finds a hole, gets lost in the lights, or goes over a guys head. Tell me Franchiseball how many times have you ever questioned or been questioned by someone else about if a hit was a hit or was it an error? Happens every game, I hear it from plenty of really knowledgeable baseball folks. MLB official scorekeepers often go back and change their own decisions during a game or even after completion because it's "their judgement" and right to do so. On a "judgement" or "subjective" call you will never get a 100% agreement from everyone.  Either way it all comes out in the wash.

Rake1

[quote name="Franchiseball" post="1385282" timestamp="1363197830"]
Exactly so why would you consider that a hit. Buna was home team so we scored it an error. That's official
[/quote]

Wow?? When is the last time anybody ever went to the home scorekeeper and asked "was that a hit?" ;)

I've seen questions about score, substitutions, counts, and even pitch counts in little league but never saw anyone go to the "official scorekeeper" and get an "official ruling" on hit or error.

Rake1

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder