Nederland 10 Vidor 6/FINAL

WOSgrad

18 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Reading the posts and thinking back, Vidor gave away another game with penalties and ill timed mistakes. We scored with less than a minute left before halftime but kickoff mistakes let them start at midfield. Then bad defensive penalties allow Ned to get to the goal line and basically give them 3 free points before halftime. The Pirates were still in control of the game, with the ball and driving late in the fourth quarter when Ned striped the ball away from our RB. Then we held them to 3rd and 9 at midfield where they completed a long pass on busted coverage to the 15. Then 2 false starts created a 1st and 20 situation which we eventually give up a first down on 3rd and 2. So many chances this year but that’s at least the 3rd game where we give points away to lose the game. Montgomery, PNG and Nederland shoulda, coulda, woulda all been W’s. You could be looking at a 1 loss team and I hate to say it because there have been some bad calls go against us but we just lack the discipline this year.

Agreed.  I don't recall the offense sputtering like it has the past 4 games since the Slot T was implemented.  

5 minutes ago, Tim Riggins said:

Agreed.  I don't recall the offense sputtering like it has the past 4 games since the Slot T was implemented.  

Haven’t seen the big play capability, missing those long breakaway runs and when we do get a nice one there’s a holding or chop block penalty. We’d better be able to score against Lee, if they are anything like last year they will put up points.

31 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Haven’t seen the big play capability, missing those long breakaway runs and when we do get a nice one there’s a holding or chop block penalty. We’d better be able to score against Lee, if they are anything like last year they will put up points.

You're right, Lee is not offensively challenged.  Can't see the Pirates prevailing in a shootout with the issues we're having moving the ball and sustaining drives.

2 hours ago, Mytwocents3788 said:

My only question is this, how you gonna mark off 4 yard on a pass interference penalty and yet on a unsportsmanlike conduct give them 30 yards.

The defensive pass interference spot was ridiculous, a four yard mark off when it should have been an automatic 15. That was on our final drive to try and win the game, should have put us on Ned side of the field near the 40. The Unsportsmanlike penalty was a 15 yard dead ball foul tacked on to a 15 yard unnecessary roughness targeting penalty. So that why it was a killer, right at the end of the half no less.

2 hours ago, A BUC 77 said:

Couldn’t make it to the game but listened in.  It was a defensive struggle.  If not for the dogs stripping the ball, Pirates win.  Vidor is a few plays off from having a great season. 
Our defense seems to be there.  Offense needs some work if they want to beat Crosby.

I have a different opinion, I think the performance by the defense vs Vidor was more of a product of knowing how to stop the slot-t and the lack of playmakers by Vidor as opposed to the defense improving. Where the vast improvement has been made since the beginning of the season is on the Offensive Side. The offensive line has come together and limited sacks which has lead to McMorris having more time to throw. 

53 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

I have a different opinion, I think the performance by the defense vs Vidor was more of a product of knowing how to stop the slot-t and the lack of playmakers by Vidor as opposed to the defense improving. Where the vast improvement has been made since the beginning of the season is on the Offensive Side. The offensive line has come together and limited sacks which has lead to McMorris having more time to throw. 

I would definitely agree with this. Vidor’s dline usually wrecks havoc. Ask bh. But y’all held us in check. And that’s ain’t nothing to sneeze at. Not trying to brag or anything just calling it like I see it.

7 hours ago, Mytwocents3788 said:

My only question is this, how you gonna mark off 4 yard on a pass interference penalty and yet on a unsportsmanlike conduct give them 30 yards.

It’s inside of 15 yards so it’s a spot foul. That’s why it’s a 4 yard PI penalty. The 30 yards was a PI (over 15) so mark that.. then add 15 yards for the dead ball unsportmanslike on the CB flexing over the WR.. another 15. So 30 yards 

51 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

It’s inside of 15 yards so it’s a spot foul. That’s why it’s a 4 yard PI penalty. The 30 yards was a PI (over 15) so mark that.. then add 15 yards for the dead ball unsportmanslike on the CB flexing over the WR.. another 15. So 30 yards 

Don’t agree with the flexing but you just about can’t lay any hard licks on anyone in football without getting a flag thrown on you , regardless if it’s a legal hit or not. Looked like a legit hit from where I was sitting. 

5 minutes ago, Realville said:

Don’t agree with the flexing but you just about can’t lay any hard licks on anyone in football without getting a flag thrown on you , regardless if it’s a legal hit or not. Looked like a legit hit from where I was sitting. 

No I agree with you 100 percent... any hard licks now are almost subject to a penalty I feel like. I see a lot of good legit clean hits on all levels that they still call unnecessary roughness. I can’t comment and say it was legit hit or not just cause I didn’t have a good view on it,

Proud of the Dogs. Never thought I'd say this but, I wasn't sure this group had what it took to win a physical snot slinging contest like this. Vidor is always a tough out for us. While this isn't Vidor's best offensive team , I'd have to say it's one of there better Defensive squads. Penalties and turnovers hurt both teams, and it seems (to my surprise) Ned was a lil stronger in the 4th qtr. I had my doubts early on, but this team is slowly getting a lil better. With that said, don t see anyone other than the picnic spoilers advancing in the playoffs. Best of luck to all!!!

On 10/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, Boneyard Boys said:

Reading the posts and thinking back, Vidor gave away another game with penalties and ill timed mistakes. We scored with less than a minute left before halftime but kickoff mistakes let them start at midfield. Then bad defensive penalties allow Ned to get to the goal line and basically give them 3 free points before halftime. The Pirates were still in control of the game, with the ball and driving late in the fourth quarter when Ned striped the ball away from our RB. Then we held them to 3rd and 9 at midfield where they completed a long pass on busted coverage to the 15. Then 2 false starts created a 1st and 20 situation which we eventually give up a first down on 3rd and 2. So many chances this year but that’s at least the 3rd game where we give points away to lose the game. Montgomery, PNG and Nederland shoulda, coulda, woulda all been W’s. You could be looking at a 1 loss team and I hate to say it because there have been some bad calls go against us but we just lack the discipline this year.

Just reading game post, sounds like you nailed it.  The “coulda, woulda, shoulda’s, have been the Pirates downfall.  And as far as the discipline goes, as much as I like and respect Coach Matthews, that’s his balliwick.  No reason for that.

20 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

It was just an observation.  Scoring 10 points is not much offense.  I know field conditions, weather and the Vidor defense was a factor.  Holding the Pirates to 6 point on defense seems to be improvement.

22 minutes ago, A BUC 77 said:

It was just an observation.  Scoring 10 points is not much offense.  I know field conditions, weather and the Vidor defense was a factor.  Holding the Pirates to 6 point on defense seems to be improvement.

Our offense for whatever reason wasn't up to snuff....IF ....Vidor could throw the ball effectively it would drastically improve there chances. Easier said then done, for sure.