Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThirdDay

Baytown Sterling at LaPorte; Only District win for 1 team

49 posts in this topic

LP graduated a ton of talent...and their student population has had a major demographic shift toward .... non football type students.  I'm seeing hard times ahead for LP football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ThirdDay said:

This could be the only district win for one of these two teams.  So, who wins and what is going on with LP?

I'm going to take Sterling in this one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am only picking Sterling due to Hill..  I have yet to see the Sterling coaching staff find a way to use a whole play book.  I think a Healthy Hill finds a way to run for 250 and get the win.

Alpha Wolf likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow has it come to this for La Porte, I remember when the bulldogs always had a great team, big runningbacks strong o line and good defense  . I mean they did just beat a really good Memorial team a few years back ...my how times have changed 

Alpha Wolf likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, D3zii said:

Wow has it come to this for La Porte, I remember when the bulldogs always had a great team, big runningbacks strong o line and good defense  . I mean they did just beat a really good Memorial team a few years back ...my how times have changed 

Dave Campbell had them in the 4th spot for playoff predictions.  With Deer Park struggling as well, besides the 1 and 2 spot with North Shore and West Brook, it has left the 3 and 4 spot open between Channelview, CE King, United and Deer Park.  We will know a little more after this week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

The Hispanic takeover has finally doomed LP. 

Judson seems to do just fine with a huge Hispanic enrollment. Actually considerably more the LP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Judson seems to do just fine with a huge Hispanic enrollment. Actually considerably more the LP. 

To be fair.. I think it's safe to say that a large number of region 4 schools have huge Hispanic enrollments.  This isn't exactly the same.. With the exception of a small handful of schools region 4 isn't really relevant in UIL athletics these days.  Even that handful of schools does not  win titles lately.  Including Judson.

Not an accurate comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

La Porte- Less than 2000 kids in the school ( Playing in district with NS, BWB,)

Judson- 3000+ Kids playing in Region 4 (Playing with Military kids who are really good)

This is not a good comparison at all. Football is a numbers/quality game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really low #s. Should be 5A but they still got kids /players. Don’t know what’s happened. Two defensive linemen committed early one to Air Force and one to Texas St. Had a freshman running back and freshman tight end last year that could go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coach bear said:

Really low #s. Should be 5A but they still got kids /players. Don’t know what’s happened. Two defensive linemen committed early one to Air Force and one to Texas St. Had a freshman running back and freshman tight end last year that could go. 

Totally agree. My point was Hispanic's had nothing to do with their performance this year which was previously eluded too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

To be fair.. I think it's safe to say that a large number of region 4 schools have huge Hispanic enrollments.  This isn't exactly the same.. With the exception of a small handful of schools region 4 isn't really relevant in UIL athletics these days.  Even that handful of schools does not  win titles lately.  Including Judson.

Not an accurate comparison. 

Just wondering how many titles LP had won before the demographic change? Using titles as relevance leaves out a vast majority of high schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Just wondering how many titles LP had won before the demographic change? Using titles as relevance leaves out a vast majority of high schools.

I’m not sure if they’ve ever won a state title

I know they were making deep runs there for awhile, now they’re struggling to win a game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Just wondering how many titles LP had won before the demographic change? Using titles as relevance leaves out a vast majority of high schools.

I'm not using titles as relevance.  I'm showing that ANY team out of region 4 still can't compete with the rest of the state these days.  The original point was that LP has fallen by the way side because of dropping enrollment and a demographic swing.  Someone said.."well Judson has a lot of Hispanics".. Well.. All of South Tx does.  SOMEONE has to be the best team in region 4.  Still can't beat the other regions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not using titles as relevance.  I'm showing that ANY team out of region 4 still can't compete with the rest of the state these days.  The original point was that LP has fallen by the way side because of dropping enrollment and a demographic swing.  Someone said.."well Judson has a lot of Hispanics".. Well.. All of South Tx does.  SOMEONE has to be the best team in region 4.  Still can't beat the other regions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Region 4 can't beat the other regions. Do you actually watch high school football?

With the exception of 6A.. I'll have to say no.  It only happens in 6A because of the Austin schools being in region 4 in 6A (Westlake/Lake Travis).  The other classifications region 4 is pretty much San Antonio and south.  I thought we were talking about schools with high Hispanic populations..?  

Alright so let me restate.  When I say region 4 I'm talking about the typical region 4 (south Tx) school.  I don't think Austin Westlake and Austin Lake Travis fit the mold of what we're talking about here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

With the exception of 6A.. I'll have to say no.  It only happens in 6A because of the Austin schools being in region 4 in 6A (Westlake/Lake Travis).  The other classifications region 4 is pretty much San Antonio and south.  I thought we were talking about schools with high Hispanic populations..?  

Alright so let me restate.  When I say region 4 I'm talking about the typical region 4 (south Tx) school.  I don't think Austin Westlake and Austin Lake Travis fit the mold of what we're talking about here.

Okay well take Katy and WOS out of region 3 and you pretty much got rid of all the state champions. Besides you brought up the entire region 4 not being able to beat the other regions not me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

It doesn't matter back to LP. Enrollment surely doesnt help them and I don't think Hispanic enrollment is what's causing them problems this year. Just my opinion.

I have a good friend that coached there up until last year.  He told me this would happen exactly how it's happening.  The dropping enrollment coupled with the demographic shift has caused the number in athletics to fall considerably.  Not to sound ugly.. but a lot of those kids don't play football around here (SeTx).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I have a good friend that coached there up until last year.  He told me this would happen exactly how it's happening.  The dropping enrollment coupled with the demographic shift has caused the number in athletics to fall considerably.  Not to sound ugly.. but a lot of those kids don't play football around here (SeTx).  

Take all of the Hispanic kids out of all these programs since they are an "issue" and see if you can field a full on team and scout team during practice.

bronco pride likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

With the exception of 6A.. I'll have to say no.  It only happens in 6A because of the Austin schools being in region 4 in 6A (Westlake/Lake Travis).  The other classifications region 4 is pretty much San Antonio and south.  I thought we were talking about schools with high Hispanic populations..?  

Alright so let me restate.  When I say region 4 I'm talking about the typical region 4 (south Tx) school.  I don't think Austin Westlake and Austin Lake Travis fit the mold of what we're talking about here.

Have you heard of a team called Calallen and a guy named Phil Danaher? 

check the history - http://www.theathleticsdepartment.com/schools/Corpus-Christi-Calallen/Football/history/

bronco pride and Alpha Wolf like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0