Willie Ray Smith Awards Banquet Tonight/Quirante wins it all!!! WOW!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="UNLV" post="1377845" timestamp="1361549332"]
Vidor kids never won a WRS award. The media pissed on the credibility of the WRS award to create a feel good story. A slap in the face to that super WOS defense and powerhouse Nederland offense. The WRS award is for kids with the potential to be the next Jamal Charles or Earl Thomas. What's next? A High Island kid wins because daddy caught a fish at the beach. This is not this kids fault, the media should find the nearest dumpster and jump in. They ruined a tradition.
[/quote]

I always thought that the WRS award was for the best high school player that represents the ideals of Coach Willie Ray Smith of excellent play, hard work, dedication, and leadership, not  just for the player who has the most college offers or the best stats.  If that is the case, there doesn't need to be a media vote, just plug the numbers into a spreadsheet and pop out the winners.

Also, I did not realize that the WRS award was for the players with the greatest potential to play in the NFL. Which area high school football player did you see play last fall with the "potential to be the next Jamaal Charles or Earl Thomas"?

Guest EagleFan01
[quote name="BadMedicine" post="1377969" timestamp="1361559041"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=109602.msg1377845#msg1377845 date=1361549332]
Vidor kids never won a WRS award. The media pissed on the credibility of the WRS award to create a feel good story. A slap in the face to that super WOS defense and powerhouse Nederland offense. The WRS award is for kids with the potential to be the next Jamal Charles or Earl Thomas. What's next? A High Island kid wins because daddy caught a fish at the beach. This is not this kids fault, the media should find the nearest dumpster and jump in. They ruined a tradition.
[/quote]

I always thought that the WRS award was for the best high school player that represents the ideals of Coach Willie Ray Smith of [b]excellent play, hard work, dedication, and leadership[/b], not  just for the player who has the most college offers or the best stats.  If that is the case, there doesn't need to be a media vote, just plug the numbers into a spreadsheet and pop out the winners.

Also, I did not realize that the WRS award was for the players with the greatest potential to play in the NFL. Which area high school football player did you see play last fall with the "potential to be the next Jamaal Charles or Earl Thomas"?
[/quote]

If thats how they decide who the winner is the media should not be voting on this because they are not around these kids all the time at practice on the field in the fieldhouse in the classroom, so they don't really know what kind of person these kids really are.

Congratulations!  Montana did a tremendous job for his team on both sides of the ball and the athleticism that it took to do so, is unspeakable.  As one player, he made Vidor a headache for the teams that he faced.

Best wishes for this student in the future in all that he does because no matter what, he will always be a winner.

[quote name="coach wade" post="1378687" timestamp="1361658178"]
Somebody shut this thread down. Enough is enough. You guys that get on here and bash kids...classless.
[/quote]It was classless to destroy the credibility of the WRS award with a symbolic media feel good story.

What's classless is your uneducated arse ripping on a 17 yr old kid. If you don't like what happened find a better way to say it.  You could say something like "I thought ( fill in the blank with whatever kids you thought should have won) had a great year. But no you would rather talk bad about an award and a kid .  I'm done can't argue with an idiot..

[quote name="UNLV" post="1379149" timestamp="1361766542"]
[quote author=coach wade link=topic=109602.msg1378687#msg1378687 date=1361658178]
Somebody shut this thread down. Enough is enough. You guys that get on here and bash kids...classless.
[/quote]It was classless to destroy the credibility of the WRS award with a symbolic media feel good story.
[/quote]

Feel Good Story, my A$$......The kid deserved it and like I told someone this weekend, I admire the ones who voted and in the end didn't change their vote simply because he won BOTH!!!  The kid is a winner!!!